Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Pass it on

Heavyduty053

Growing up in my Grandma's house as a boy was a real experience that would shape me for the rest of my life. We were poor in everything but spirit and our parents made sure we understood there was more to life than what a person can have, yet  I learned so much about what life is made of. My Mom, Dad, Nana, my two brothers and I was crowded into a home made from two old shanty cars and several built on rooms made with scrap lumber found here and there. I always knew what my next set of cloths would look like because I had seen my older brother wearing them the year before.

When your family is below standards living back in the 1950's there wasn't much time to think who had what and why you didn't because there were lots of family's barely getting by. The word social wasn't even thought about back then. Family's did what they had to survive which meant growing their own food in gardens with a lot of sweat, saving seeds for next year, canning foods for winter and when there was more than one boy, the older always got new cloths and then passed them down to a younger brother, sorta like trickle down economics. There wasn't many choices to decide how life was going to let you live through the year. It was survival. I always knew what we were going to be eating in the winter months, because I had to weed the garden during the planting months. Food was what you made it, not what you wished you had.

Still we had no time to sit and think about why we were poor, we didn't blame it on our parents, we just played the hand we were dealt besides very few around our area were much better. No king ever ate as good as we did on Sundays after church when Nana cooked her famous homemade meatballs, spaghetti and freshly baked yeast bread. Even though we had very little I can still remember Dad, Mom and Nana giving everything they had into making a home filled with love. We would surely share a meal with others if they were short on food, that's just what Southern country folks did, we took care of one another. Everyone who visited on Sunday was going to get a plate of spaghetti or a mason jar of canned vegetables, or a flower pot full of fresh blossoms to brighten their day. I can still remember the sparkle in Mom and Nana's eyes whenever they passed something on to others. We never felt richer or more blessed than when we shared what God had blessed us with and he always blessed us with even more.

I learned early on that the greatest joy comes from seeing the delight in another's eyes when you give them something they needed or wasn't expecting. Giving out of the goodness of your heart, fills your heart with joy and your soul with  God's favor and it brings your spirit a little closer to Heaven. Don't be afraid to pass on your blessings, share a little money with someone who is down on their luck or just using your talent to do something for someone who can't do it for themselves is sharing a blessing God gave you. Every one of us can share a smile, a good morning gesture,  an attitude that shows the face of our savior and be. Be grateful for what you have and he will bless you with more.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, moose 57 said:

That was such a great time to grow up. 

I wish kids now could experience it

thanks Heavy

Being the oldest very rarely did I get brand new. But the clothes I got

from older cousins was new to me. It was a great time to grow up

everybody shared.  Thank you heavy.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...