Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

President Obama’s Memorial Day Vacation

Posted May 26th, 2010 at 3:00pm in American Leadership with 154 commentsPrint This Post Print This Post

obama-speaking100128.jpg

This weekend, President Obama will skip Memorial Day services at Arlington National Cemetery, and instead he will take his family to Chicago for rest and relaxation. The gesture has rankled many on the right and caused the left to swing into full ‘defend Obama’ mode. However, the fact remains that during a time of war, it is extraordinary that the Commander in Chief of our Armed Forces would choose not to be at Arlington on this solemn occasion.

First, it must be said that the president is not skipping out on his official duties entirely. At the start of the weekend, the president will travel to Louisiana to survey the response to oil spill; only his second trip to the region since the disaster over a month ago. And on Monday, the president will deliver remarks at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood, IL. In between these duties he will spend a “casual weekend with friends” and then fly home in time to make a White House tribute to Paul McCartney on Wednesday evening.

So what’s the big deal? As leftist columnist David Corn writes: “[D]oes it matter if Obama throws some leaves on a tomb?” Well, apparently to liberals, it does not matter and to Corn, even wondering why the president would miss the occasion in itself dishonors lost soldiers. Seriously. Somehow, wanting the president to appropriately honor the troops who paid the ultimate price is chalked up as “political ammo.”

The truth is that no president has missed the Arlington ceremony on Memorial Day since 1992. That year, former President Bush attended a ceremony in Maine while campaigning for re-election. In 1992 our nation was not at war. President Bush was himself a decorated war hero in World War II, risking life and limb to complete bombing missions in the Pacific and losing crewmates in the battles. His commitment to honoring his brothers-in-arms was never in doubt. So comparing 1992 to 2010 is not exactly an apples to apples debate.

On the other hand, President Obama has demonstrated time and time again an unwillingness to fully support our troops whether through resources or through rhetoric. He gave a commencement address in 2008 with the theme of ’serving your country’ on that Memorial Day weekend, and did not mention serving in the military once. His proposed budgets reduce defense spending as a percentage of GDP to pre-9/11 levels. And this White House is uncomfortable even using the term ‘war on terror’ which is the cause that many of those who sacrificed their lives committed themselves to in the first place.

This is not a president who is automatically viewed as a friend of the military, and he has reinforced this view himself, time and time again. In December 2009, the president traveled to West Point (what MSNBC’s Chris Matthew’s called the “enemy camp” that night) to address the ongoing wars and his strategic plans. He used the speech, which was broadcast to all bases overseas, to attack the premise of the Iraq War and his predecessor. He never used the words “win” or “victory” but talked of “conclusions.” And he highlighted his own sacrifice of reading and writing letters and reasserted the ridiculous notion that he was “repairing” relations with the Muslim world.

This was not a morale boost for cadets that evening, or for the country. It did reinforce the idea that President Obama is a reluctant Commander in Chief, who would prefer focus on domestic government growth. It is speeches like these that make conservatives take pause when the president chooses golfing with friends over attending Arlington in a time of war to honor our fallen troops.

To indifferent liberals, this solemn remembrance is merely throwing “leaves on a tomb” and this controversy is the manufactured delusions of “conservative wingnuts.” The Democratic Party’s sister organization ’Media Matters’ has been full throated in trying to turn this controversy around on the president’s detractors. But to veterans, and their families, regardless of political beliefs, this is a symbolic break in tradition that can only be viewed as casual indifference.

Sending Vice President Biden, the man who told Brussels two weeks ago that it, not Washington, should hold the title of ‘capital of the free world’, in his place does not excuse his absence, and will likely give little comfort to those stricken families who expected to hear from their Commander in Chief. President Obama shouldn’t just be at Arlington on Memorial Day, he should want to be there.

UPDATE: As Robert points out in the comments, we failed to point out that President George W. Bush also missed Arlington’s Memorial Day ceremonies in 2002, when he joined Veterans Affairs Secretary Anthony Principi, Secretary of State Colin Powell and a bipartisan congressional delegation for services at the American cemetery in Normandy, France, honoring those who paid the ultimate sacrifice on D-Day. Certainly an occasion that was warranted. You can read his remarks here.

UPDATE 2: Many commenters have rightly pointed out that the president will attend services at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery, as also mentioned above. It is true that the heroes laid to rest in this cemetery are equally deserving of presidential attention. However, is President Obama attending services here because of the honor of this particular location, or the geographical proximity to his other plans? The memorial at Arlington serves as a national celebration, which is why past presidents have made special efforts to attend, when possible. We appreciate your comments and debate. Thanks for reading.

http://blog.heritage.org/2010/05/26/president-obamas-memorial-day-vacation/

Let me be the first to say I am glad I didn't vote for this schmuck.

• Upvote 3

AMEN! BROTHER!!!

Posted May 26th, 2010 at 3:00pm in American Leadership with 154 commentsPrint This Post Print This Post

obama-speaking100128.jpg

This weekend, President Obama will skip Memorial Day services at Arlington National Cemetery, and instead he will take his family to Chicago for rest and relaxation. The gesture has rankled many on the right and caused the left to swing into full ‘defend Obama’ mode. However, the fact remains that during a time of war, it is extraordinary that the Commander in Chief of our Armed Forces would choose not to be at Arlington on this solemn occasion.

First, it must be said that the president is not skipping out on his official duties entirely. At the start of the weekend, the president will travel to Louisiana to survey the response to oil spill; only his second trip to the region since the disaster over a month ago. And on Monday, the president will deliver remarks at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood, IL. In between these duties he will spend a “casual weekend with friends” and then fly home in time to make a White House tribute to Paul McCartney on Wednesday evening.

So what’s the big deal? As leftist columnist David Corn writes: “[D]oes it matter if Obama throws some leaves on a tomb?” Well, apparently to liberals, it does not matter and to Corn, even wondering why the president would miss the occasion in itself dishonors lost soldiers. Seriously. Somehow, wanting the president to appropriately honor the troops who paid the ultimate price is chalked up as “political ammo.”

The truth is that no president has missed the Arlington ceremony on Memorial Day since 1992. That year, former President Bush attended a ceremony in Maine while campaigning for re-election. In 1992 our nation was not at war. President Bush was himself a decorated war hero in World War II, risking life and limb to complete bombing missions in the Pacific and losing crewmates in the battles. His commitment to honoring his brothers-in-arms was never in doubt. So comparing 1992 to 2010 is not exactly an apples to apples debate.

On the other hand, President Obama has demonstrated time and time again an unwillingness to fully support our troops whether through resources or through rhetoric. He gave a commencement address in 2008 with the theme of ’serving your country’ on that Memorial Day weekend, and did not mention serving in the military once. His proposed budgets reduce defense spending as a percentage of GDP to pre-9/11 levels. And this White House is uncomfortable even using the term ‘war on terror’ which is the cause that many of those who sacrificed their lives committed themselves to in the first place.

This is not a president who is automatically viewed as a friend of the military, and he has reinforced this view himself, time and time again. In December 2009, the president traveled to West Point (what MSNBC’s Chris Matthew’s called the “enemy camp” that night) to address the ongoing wars and his strategic plans. He used the speech, which was broadcast to all bases overseas, to attack the premise of the Iraq War and his predecessor. He never used the words “win” or “victory” but talked of “conclusions.” And he highlighted his own sacrifice of reading and writing letters and reasserted the ridiculous notion that he was “repairing” relations with the Muslim world.

This was not a morale boost for cadets that evening, or for the country. It did reinforce the idea that President Obama is a reluctant Commander in Chief, who would prefer focus on domestic government growth. It is speeches like these that make conservatives take pause when the president chooses golfing with friends over attending Arlington in a time of war to honor our fallen troops.

To indifferent liberals, this solemn remembrance is merely throwing “leaves on a tomb” and this controversy is the manufactured delusions of “conservative wingnuts.” The Democratic Party’s sister organization ’Media Matters’ has been full throated in trying to turn this controversy around on the president’s detractors. But to veterans, and their families, regardless of political beliefs, this is a symbolic break in tradition that can only be viewed as casual indifference.

Sending Vice President Biden, the man who told Brussels two weeks ago that it, not Washington, should hold the title of ‘capital of the free world’, in his place does not excuse his absence, and will likely give little comfort to those stricken families who expected to hear from their Commander in Chief. President Obama shouldn’t just be at Arlington on Memorial Day, he should want to be there.

UPDATE: As Robert points out in the comments, we failed to point out that President George W. Bush also missed Arlington’s Memorial Day ceremonies in 2002, when he joined Veterans Affairs Secretary Anthony Principi, Secretary of State Colin Powell and a bipartisan congressional delegation for services at the American cemetery in Normandy, France, honoring those who paid the ultimate sacrifice on D-Day. Certainly an occasion that was warranted. You can read his remarks here.

UPDATE 2: Many commenters have rightly pointed out that the president will attend services at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery, as also mentioned above. It is true that the heroes laid to rest in this cemetery are equally deserving of presidential attention. However, is President Obama attending services here because of the honor of this particular location, or the geographical proximity to his other plans? The memorial at Arlington serves as a national celebration, which is why past presidents have made special efforts to attend, when possible. We appreciate your comments and debate. Thanks for reading.

http://blog.heritage.org/2010/05/26/president-obamas-memorial-day-vacation/

Let me be the first to say I am glad I didn't vote for this POS.

Sadly enough to say, but It would be a disgrace to my father, who is buried in the the vets cemetery, my family and myself if obama showed up at the Memorial day services where my dad was Master of Ceremony. My dad TRULY MEANT EVERYTHING he said in his speeches.

No offense to anyone, this is my personal feeling and not worth an argument.

God Bless America!

Carla

• Upvote 1

Looking and praying for men and women who remember what this good country was founded on and voting in support of that in 2012 . Hoping and praying my two young children may have the chance to grow up in a free America, the land I love, formed by our fore-fathers as "ONE NATION UNDER GOD." Trying to stiffle the sickening feeling I get when honor and respect take a back seat to rest and relaxation......

• Upvote 1

He does not care about this country or the fallen soldiers who died defending our freedoms. He does not care about the soldiers in Afganistan who are in need of support he is holding up. He does not care about the constitution of this country or what it means as he and Palosi look for new ways to twist it everyday. He does not want to say enforce our immigration laws because he and some family members and friends may be in violation. An enormous mistake has been made and I hope that 2012 is not to late to correct it. It is unreal we have let this happen. Pray hard and hope for the best. God Bless The USA.

• Upvote 1

I for one am happy he will be off vacationing in thug town usa. At least now we dont have to listen to a fake speech,and with him away from DC maybe will have couple of days that he and his band of thieves ain't screwin us or the country.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Looking and praying for men and women who remember what this good country was founded on and voting in support of that in 2012 . Hoping and praying my two young children may have the chance to grow up in a free America, the land I love, formed by our fore-fathers as "ONE NATION UNDER GOD." Trying to stiffle the sickening feeling I get when honor and respect take a back seat to rest and relaxation......

I completely respect everythng you said. I have a 17, 18, 20, and 21 year old that I am raising. Every one of them take time to honor our vets but I am so terribly scared for there future becouse of what is going on in the world today. they salute the flag, go to church every Sunday and give forward. We have to take hold of our children and instill in them to honor and respect because the schools and the country is not doing it for us.

God bless you!!!

Carla

P.S.

I am a little angry because my dad should not have left me this soon. We believe he died of agent orange and now tomorrow, I am attending his close friends funeral who has died of agent orange as well.

• Upvote 2

Being a 20 yr vet. I too am glad I didn't vote for him. Like they say if you can't say nothing nice about a person, say nothing at all. GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS. May they come home safe and the fallen rest in peace. Amen.

• Upvote 1

My father spent 28 years in the Air Force,his brother 30 in the Army, my older brother 7 years AF, next older brother 7 AF, also my little sister AF . I spent 3 in the Army and 4 in the

Air Force, and this man who occupies the White House in my opinion has an agenda to take this country down. Nothing he has done in office so far has been in the interest of the people of this Great Nation.He has turned his back on our friends and cuddled our enemy's. We the people need to ban together this November and stop this systematic destruction of America, it maybe our last chance. Who ever heard of passing Bills before knowing what's in them.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS

AND GOD, PLEASE FORGIVE US FOR THE CURRENT CHANGES THAT HAVE BEEN MADE IN THIS GREAT NATION, "WE THE PEOPLE" WILL TRY TO CORRECT IT SOON.

• Upvote 1

My grandfather served in the Navy, in the S Pacific, during WWII. Helped wire the communications on the USS Missouri, for the Japanese surrender.

His brother in law(my great uncle)served in the Army and fought at the Battle of the Bulge.

Two of my uncles served in Vietnam.

I served in the USAF as an alert fighter crew chief during the cold war days under President Reagan.

My son is now serving in the USMC.

I am disgusted with this man we call our president.

I did not vote for the schmuck either.

God bless those that have made the ultimate sacrifice, as well as the families they left behind.

I want to thank all our Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen, for all they do every day.

Thank you all !!!!!

I will digress before I post any inappropriate remarks.

Dave

Excellent post Woody. Thank you.

• Upvote 2

Out of the utmost respect for our military fallen heroes, It might be a blessing in disguise, because some of those WWII vets would be rolling over in their graves if they had any idea where the leadership of this country is trying to lead us.

• Upvote 1

He does not care about this country or the fallen soldiers who died defending our freedoms. He does not care about the soldiers in Afganistan who are in need of support he is holding up. He does not care about the constitution of this country or what it means as he and Palosi look for new ways to twist it everyday. He does not want to say enforce our immigration laws because he and some family members and friends may be in violation. An enormous mistake has been made and I hope that 2012 is not to late to correct it. It is unreal we have let this happen. Pray hard and hope for the best. God Bless The USA.

AMEN!!!

My grandfather served in the Navy, in the S Pacific, during WWII. Helped wire the communications on the USS Missouri, for the Japanese surrender.

His brother in law(my great uncle)served in the Army and fought at the Battle of the Bulge.

I served in the USAF as an alert fighter crew chief during the cold war days under President Reagan.

God bless those that have made the ultimate sacrifice, as well as the families they left behind.

I want to thank all our Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen, for all they do every day.

Thank you all !!!!!

Dave

AMEN!

Out of the utmost respect for our military fallen heroes, It might be a blessing in disguise, because some of those WWII vets would be rolling over in their graves if they had any idea where the leadership of this country is trying to lead us.

Amen!!!!!!!

Thank you all !!!!!

Dave

Amen!!

Being a 20 yr vet. I too am glad I didn't vote for him. Like they say if you can't say nothing nice about a person, say nothing at all. GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS. May they come home safe and the fallen rest in peace. Amen.

Amen!!!

Amen!!

GOD BLESS OUR SOLDIERS ALL, PAST AND PRESENT>

Amen!!

AMEN K98 I am glad that I didn't vote for him at all. Having served in the Military myself I usually attend the flag ceremony at our cemetery in town and pay my respects to the military veterans who gave their lives for our country.

Amen!!

This president is a real piece of work isn't he. I am really Proud to tell you I didn't vote for him. I did pray that he would do well...Now I'm praying for all of us. It makes me sick listening to him now as he is the most self centered President I've ever seen. Someday maybe I can tell you all a story, but I was friends with Nelson Rockefeller. He once told me over breakfast that life, business, and politics is all about who you surround yourself with. He explained that Nixon went down because of it. He was actually VP when he told me that. Just think...George W. had the same kind of issues...who he surrounded himself with. WHO WOULD HAVE EVER GUESSED THAT OBAMA WOULD SURROUND HIMSELF WITH IDIOT SOCIALISTS WHO WANT TO GO AGAINST OUR CONSTITUTION AT EVERY TURN. PLEASE...PLEASE...IF YOU VOTED FOR HIM...SIT BACK AND REFLECT ON WHAT HE HAS DONE TO...(NOT FOR) OUR COUNTRY. This isn't about Democrats vs Republicans , this is about Americans against the government...and saving our country. I love America...I WAS JUST HOPING AT 62 I WOULDN'T HAVE TO BE FIGHTING TO SAVE IT. AND TO ALL THE OTHER VETS OUT THERE...WE LOVE YOU..... EVEN IF O...DOESN'T.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Nothing about this man surprises me anymore. I had the "pleasure" of seeing him in person May 15th on the Capital Grounds in DC for the National Police Memorial Day. He moved up the start time, rushed thru the ceremony and hurried off without taking time to one on one speak to any of the families of the fallen offiers. He had a Golf Game Tee Time at 1200 noon so he had to hurry. This slapped every fallen officers' family members and attending police officers in the face. Cut to last week. He gave the Mexican Prez FULL Military Honors including Pass and Review by the Honor Guards of all branches of the Military. This is not normal for a visiting Prez of a neighboring country. But it fit HIS agenda of trying to undo what Arizona had the balls to do. What a tool. Actions like I described is why I call him the REAL head of Al-Qeida.

Edited by markisuncfan
  • Upvote 1

I agree with all you guys,this president is making some weird decision and looks like his goals is to bankrupt this great nation so we can be under the nwo influence(he is turning his back on israel the only nation that has the same democracy as ours we need to pray hard for this great nation and let our voice be heard,we the people are the only one we can stop this god bless everybody.

Each and every soldier - dead or alive, DESERVES to be shown respect and gratitude from their Commander and Chief. It is a complete disgrace that OBAMA has so openly showed his true colors,.........and they aint RED, WHITE & BLUE!

Edited by kittycat

Short & sweet..... THANK YOU TO ALL OF OUR MILITARY MEN, WOMEN, & FAMILY MEMBERS! YOU are what keep our country alive!! May God have mercy on the administration that fights against you! We love each and every one that fights for us and those that paid the ultimate price for the country they love, a cause they believe in.....OUR country!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

Wow. You guys are brutal. A completely one-sided article, whose only goal is to stir hatred towards the President. Did you completely gloss over the the one line that reads "And on Monday, the president will deliver remarks at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood,IL"? That's right. A National cemetery with our fallen heroes. Showing respect for our military as he should. But no one here wants to see that.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think the man is perfect - no one is. But you guys would criticize him for putting on his left sock first just because some right wing nut job told you to.

I don't even know why the mods have left this thread in the IRAQ NEWS section. It doesn't belong there. Oh wait. One of the mods posted it, so I guess it's ok.

(I completely expect to have my post deleted by the mods)