Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Article 8 consultation proof Iraq will changes their current pegged regime and become international

dinarbeleiver

I kinda like #14 on page 17.

here you go I agree with you

14. The de facto fixed exchange rate has served Iraq well. The authorities agreed that a stable nominal exchange rate provides a valuable anchor for inflation expectations in an uncertain environment, and intend to continue implementing this policy for the foreseeable future. In the medium term, staff encouraged the authorities to consider creating the conditions which would make possible a move to a more flexible exchange rate policy. Such flexibility could allow a predictable and gradual appreciation of the nominal exchange rate, triggered by strong oil revenues and the Balassa-Samuelson effect, to accommodate a possible real exchange rate appreciation while keeping domestic inflation low.

here you go I agree with you

14. The de facto fixed exchange rate has served Iraq well. The authorities agreed that a stable nominal exchange rate provides a valuable anchor for inflation expectations in an uncertain environment, and intend to continue implementing this policy for the foreseeable future. In the medium term, staff encouraged the authorities to consider creating the conditions which would make possible a move to a more flexible exchange rate policy. Such flexibility could allow a predictable and gradual appreciation of the nominal exchange rate, triggered by strong oil revenues and the Balassa-Samuelson effect, to accommodate a possible real exchange rate appreciation while keeping domestic inflation low.

Do that mean what I think it mean????????????????????? Question is: WHEN???????????????????????

No dr Robbins - in the medium term they will change that pegged regime to a more flexible exchange rate policy. That's what I am cheering at

I'm also encouraged because its proof that Iraq wants their currency to be traded on the international markets - article 8 consultation

In finance or financial operations of borrowing and investing, what is considered long-term is usually above 3 years, with medium-term usually between 1 and 3 years and short-term usually under 1 year.

I think no more than 3 years to see Iraq change that peg

Couple things I noticed,

financial development, end-2012 CBI net foreign exchange reserves covered 122 percent of reserve money and 104 percent of broad money, or approximately four times foreign exchange deposits. In principle, therefore, the CBI reserves would be enough to cover the complete dollarization of the economy. Additionally, a large part of deposits are owned by government agencies and state-owned enterprises, making them less vulnerable to confidence crises.

Iraq continues to avail itself of the transitional arrangements under Article XIV. Eight exchange restrictions (plus one exchange restriction maintained for national or international security) and one multiple currency practice (MCP) are subject to IMF jurisdiction and approval.

Hmm

Couple things I noticed,

financial development, end-2012 CBI net foreign exchange reserves covered 122 percent of reserve money and 104 percent of broad money, or approximately four times foreign exchange deposits. In principle, therefore, the CBI reserves would be enough to cover the complete dollarization of the economy. Additionally, a large part of deposits are owned by government agencies and state-owned enterprises, making them less vulnerable to confidence crises.

Iraq continues to avail itself of the transitional arrangements under Article XIV. Eight exchange restrictions (plus one exchange restriction maintained for national or international security) and one multiple currency practice (MCP) are subject to IMF jurisdiction and approval.

Hmm

they need to make that move to article 8

When they move to article 8 their currency would be at the mercy of market forces. I believe the currency is serverly undervalued and once market forces can influence the currency I think that the exchange rate will be driven up

I think we will witness what is unprecedented compared to other countries

• Upvote 2

VII. Exchange Rate Arrangements:
The exchange rate of the U.S. dollar floats independently and is determined freely in the foreign exchange market. 

VIII. Payments Restrictions.
The United States accepted Article VIII of the IMF's Articles of Agreement and maintains an exchange system free of restrictions and multiple currency practices with the exception of limited restrictions on certain payments and transfers imposed for security reasons. The United States currently administers approximately 30 economic sanctions programs, which restrict certain payments and transfers for transactions against particular foreign governments, entities, and individuals. The United States administers, inter alia, sanctions programs relating to Burma, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, and Sudan, and continues to block certain previously frozen assets of the former Yugoslavia. Several other sanctions programs, including those relating to Côte d’Ivoire, Liberia, Somalia, Syria, Western Balkans, and Zimbabwe are “list-based” programs, affecting only members of certain government regimes and other individuals and groups whose activities have been determined to threaten the foreign policy or economy of the United States. The United States also implements similar list-based sanctions programs against: narcotics traffickers; terrorism-related governments, entities, and individuals; and proliferators of weapons of mass 
destruction. 

~IMF 2012

The CBI IS STILL IN THE PROCESS of controlling the difference between the market and the CBI rate.  Sooooo, in the past few days that value is starting to close in.   I will say Shabibi did a very good job of holding a tight difference between the two.  All one has to do is go into the CBI site and look under the currency auctions and click on the exchange rates http://www.cbi.iq/documents/CBI_FOREIGN_EXCHANGE_AUCTIONS.pdf and look at the first column on the left and it tells the whole story.  The market exchange rate and the CBI rate must be within 2% of each other.  Now the question is how long must the CBI hold this stability for Iraq to move into article VIII?

5. The nominal exchange rate in the official market remained stable against the U.S. 
dollar since 2010, but the rate in the parallel market increased. The CBI pursues a policy of de 
facto peg to the U.S. dollar, providing a key nominal anchor to the economy. However, in 2011, fiscal 
expansion and political instability in Iraq and the region led to increase demand for foreign 
exchange. In late 2011 the CBI started enforcing existing exchange restrictions and introduced new 
restrictions in response to concerns about money laundering and illegal foreign exchange outflows. 
As a result, the spread between the official rate and the parallel market rate—which had been up to 
that point below 2 percent—started to climb, giving rise to a multiple currency practice, and reached 
over 8 percent in April 2013. page 43 and 44 
Iraq continues to avail itself of the transitional arrangements under Article XIV. Eight exchange 
restrictions (plus one exchange restriction maintained for national or international security) and one 
multiple currency practice (MCP) are subject to IMF jurisdiction and approval. The exchange 
restrictions are (i) the limitation that corporates can purchase foreign exchange in the auction for 
import transactions only; (ii) limitation on the availability of foreign exchange cash for individuals 
(i.e., one request per month); 
 (iii) maximum limits on the availability of foreign exchange cash in the 
auction for banks;
 (iv) maximum limits on the availability of foreign exchange cash in the auction for 
 
 This measure gives rise to an exchange restriction because the limitation of one request per month constitutes a 
governmental limitation on the availability of foreign exchange for payments and transfers by individuals for current 
international transactions, e.g., basic allocations for tourist or business travel abroad, family living expenses, etc. 
Furthermore, because of the limitation on the availability of foreign exchange in the non-cash auction to corporates 
and only for trade transactions, individuals who need to make payments and transfers for current international 
transactions beyond the maximum limit have no alternative means or channels to get access to foreign exchange, 
except for resorting to informal sources. 
 This measure gives rise to an exchange restriction because the maximum cap constitutes a governmental limitation 
on the availability of foreign exchange for certain payments and transfers, e.g., repatriation of certain investment 
income by nonresidents, including remittances of profits, dividends or interest. Because of the limitation on the 
availability of foreign exchange in the non-cash auction by corporates to only trade transactions, they would have no 
other means or channels to get access to such foreign exchange beyond the maximum limits, except for resorting to 
informal sources. IRAQ 

4 INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND 
money transfer companies and money exchange bureaus;
 (v) the requirement to pay all obligations 
and debts to the government before proceeds of investments of investors, and salaries and other 
compensation of non-Iraqi employees may be transferred out of Iraq; (vi) the requirement to submit 
a tax certificate and a letter of non-objection stating that the companies do not owe any taxes to the 
government before non-Iraqi companies may transfer proceeds of current international transactions 
out of the country; (vii) the requirement that before non-Iraqis may transfer proceeds in excess of ID 
15 million out of Iraq, the banks are required to give due consideration of legal obligations of these 
persons with respect to official entities, which must be settled before allowing any transfer; and 
(viii) an Iraqi balance owed to Jordan under an inoperative bilateral payments agreement. In 
addition, one exchange restriction maintained for security reasons should be notified to the IMF 
under the framework of Decision 144-(52/51). The MCP arises from the absence of a mechanism to 
ensure that the official exchange rate and the market exchange rate do not deviate by more than 
2 percent. 

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/scr/2013/cr13217.pdf

Edited by Butifldrm