Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Washington State Bridge Collapses

pattyangel

Skagit Bridge collapses while drivers reportedly on bridge in Washington

Posted: May 23, 2013 9:52 PM CDT

Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:52 PM EST
Updated: May 23, 2013 9:52 PM CDT

WASHINGTON (WFIE) -

Emergency crews are responding after a bridge collapse in Washington state.

We're told that section of the Skagit Bridge over Interstate-5 has given way.

This is near Mount Vernon, Washington.

Early reports are there were cars on the bridge when it collapsed and there are cars and people now in the river.

Both lanes from the north and southbound lanes are in the water.

14 News is continuing to follow these breaking developments, and we will have the latest on air, online at 14News.com and on mobile with the 14 News mobile app.

Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.
i5bridgecollapse_1369364119234_419577_ve

AP/ May 23, 2013, 10:51 PM
I-5 bridge collapses in NW Wash.; people in water

MOUNT VERNON, Wash. The Washington State Patrol says the Interstate 5 bridge over the Skagit River at Mount Vernon has collapsed, dumping vehicles and people into the water.

Trooper Mark Francis said the four-lane bridge collapsed about 7 p.m.

Francis says he has no idea how many people are in the water or whether there are any injuries or deaths.

He did not know what caused the collapse.
  • Upvote 1

I had done a couple bridge inspections throughout my career at an engineering firm..........I cringe every time a drive across one.  The news this morning said the 3 people involved were rescued.  That's great news.  Thanks for the update Jas.   ;) 

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious

There was an oversize truck load that clipped one of the supports.  After the truck passed the bridge went down.  It is a major section which includes both directions.  Things will have to be routed through Mt. Vernon which is going to be a mess because the bridge will have to be completely rebuilt at that section.  The highway just ends.  They were luck that the river was at a lower level right now. 

• Upvote 1