Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq executes 21 in one day on ‘terror’ charges

dontlop

Iraq has carried out the death penalty 50 times so far this year. (AFP)

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
AFP, BAGHDAD -

Iraq put 21 men to death on Tuesday, a senior justice ministry official told AFP, the latest in a series of mass executions that have drawn international condemnation.

All of the men were Iraqis and had been convicted on anti-terror charges, the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

“Twenty-one Iraqis were executed today, according to Article Four of the Anti-Terrorism Law,” the official said.

Iraq typically carries out its executions by hanging.

The latest executions brought to 50 the number of executions Baghdad has carried out so far this year, despite widespread calls for a moratorium on the country’s use of capital punishment.

Iraq carried out 129 executions in 2012 and Justice Minister Hassan al-Shammari insisted last month that Baghdad would continue to implement the death penalty.

The country’s executions have sparked concern from the United Nations, as well as from Britain, the European Union and rights groups Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch.

Amnesty said in its annual report on capital punishment last week that the use of the death penalty was broadly diminishing around the world, but Iraq remained a black spot.

Al-Qaeda’s front group in Iraq said last month that it carried out a wave of attacks that eventually left 56 people dead as “revenge for those whom you (the government) executed,” referring to a total of 18 executions carried out by Iraq on March 14 and 17.

If Al-Qaeda’s complaining about it then its a good thing.Keep up the good work Iraq.

Just cause we are to wishy washy to kill our murderer`s and child rapers theres no need to condemn those that choose to get the job done. 

One less piece of filth on this planet is a good thing.

I wish they were civilized like the FRENCH - Off with their heads! :)

True. Some would say there are more interesting aspects to the French form of sending off the undesireable elements to the Almighty in this fashion. Having said that, the case can be made for the preference of a good ole fashioned Neck Tie Party. Personal preference thing I guess.

Of course the participating felon isn't keen on either one. Just the FYI

Another Point of View ...

I remember the day, or make that days, of 7-11 and the many days thereafter, when the entire "civilized" world, and at that time it meant anyone who didn't wear a djelba or turban (and that included people not even from the Middle east but India and Polynesia)  ... the entire "civilized" world, considered any and every Muslim on the planet, to be terrorists, who should be dead, killed in the most terrible way possible, to try to appease the world, and make up for (? like anything could ever make up for) the horrific events of that day ... 7 - 11.

Yup, you were in that group too. Don't try to tell me that you were holding out on your feelings and only wanting to punish and eradicate the Muslims that belonged to a group we had never even heard of before then, Al Quaida. You, and everyone else belonging to that "civilized" group of the population of the entire planet wanted all of them, every Middle Eastern person, especially those who were visible in our, get that "our" countries, to be gone from the face of the earth. And while we are at it why not make it a convincing argument for those who are fence sitting ... make the killing of Muslims something that is found in the bible, just as they found a way to hate us found in their Koran. (Neither of which is true, by the way. Both books are based on the same premises, love and acceptance.)

How dare they, all of them, do such a despicable thing. 

And now, now many years later, we are suddenly a world of people who feel that just labeling anyone a terrorist is not enough, and these Iraqis should be forced, by some world wide consensus, to stop executing people they are labeling as terrorists. Bear in mind the Iraqis are attaching that label based on short term assumptions, or worse, knowing that these men they are executing are not really terrorists but people they want to get rid of.

Now tell me, honestly, do you believe that there were none among our "civilized" society who were not chomping at the bit to do the very same thing in all our "civilized" countries? Of course they were, we were, you and I. 

And now we dare to point a finger and be all up in arms over this? 

Hypocrites ... all of us.

:shrug:  

smee2 

Problem is let those hang who deserve to hang, but I'm afraid many of these may have been protesters against the PM.  Or campaigned against him.   Like the tortured confessions of the body guards of Hashemi.  They were NOT guilty any more than he was or is.  It sucks to kill the innocent just because they don't share your political views and my God it happening all over the world.  "ALL" over the world.