Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Alkilizing or Acidifying the Body

tankdude

The recent posts with the wheatgrass and lemons has been good - but there is some information in both of those that I think needs to be addressed. I know friend ThaiExpat who is a medical doctor - has addressed it a couple of time within some posts. I thought I would bring it forward in it's own post.

The pH scale ranges from 0 to 14. A liquid that has a pH of 7 is considered to be neutral (pure water is generally considered to have a neutral pH). Fluids that have a pH below 7 - like lemon juice and coffee - are considered to be acidic. And fluids that have a pH above 7 - like human blood and milk of magnesia - are considered to be alkaline.

It's important to note that on the pH scale, each number represents a tenfold difference from adjacent numbers; in other words, a liquid that has a pH of 6 is ten times more acidic than a liquid that has a pH of 7, and a liquid with a pH of 5 is one hundred times more acidic than pure water. Most carbonated soft drinks (pop) have a pH of about 3, making them about ten thousand times more acidic than pure water. Please remember this the next time you think about drinking a can of pop.

The Claim: Acidic foods can alter the body’s pH balance and promote cancer. You need to consume foods that that will cause your blood to be more alkaline.

The Theory: Based on lab studies that suggest cancer cells thrive in an acidic (low pH) environment, but cannot survive in alkaline (high pH) surroundings. While these findings are accurate, they apply only to cells in an isolated lab setting.

Pronentsof this myth argue that avoiding certain foods and eating others can change bloods pH level. The truth is - what you consume doesn not change the blood Ph to any significant degree.

The pH of your blood is tightly regulated by a complex system of buffers that are continuously at work to maintain a range of 7.35 to 7.45, which is slightly more alkaline than pure water.

If the pH of your blood falls below 7.35, the result is a condition called acidosis, a state that leads to central nervous system depression. Severe acidosis - where blood pH falls below 7.00 - can lead to a coma and even death.

If the pH of your blood rises above 7.45, the result is alkalosis. Severe alkalosis can also lead to death, but through a different mechanism; alkalosis causes all of the nerves in your body to become hypersensitive and over-excitable, often resulting in muscle spasms, nervousness, and convulsions; it's usually the convulsions that cause death in severe cases.

Home “test kits,” which measure the pH of urine, do not relay information about the body’s pH level. True, foods, drinks and supplements will affect the acidity or alkalinity of urine, but it is the only fluid that is affected. In fact, excess acid or base is excreted in the urine to help maintain proper pH balance in the body.

The bottom line is if you're breathing and going about your daily activities, your body is doing an adequate job of keeping your blood pH somewhere between 7.35 to 7.45, and the foods that you are eating are not causing any wild deviations of your blood pH.

I hope these thoughts help to clarify this often misunderstood topic. I've borrowed heavily from the 2 sites listed below.

http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=13914&news_iv_ctrl=0&abbr=pr_

http://drbenkim.com/ph-body-blood-foods-acid-alkaline.htm

Quick side note - it has recently been postulated my James Watson, (who was awarded the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1962 for his part in the discovery of the molecular structure of DNA) that cancer is a Redox disease. (Yep, Redox Signaling again). He believes diabetes, dementias, cardiovascular disease, and some cancers are accelerated or even caused by shortages in cellular reactive oxygen species (ROS).

Here's a link to an artiicle in The Lancet, the oldest medical journal in Europe. http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(14)61485-9/fulltext

• Upvote 5

The best action is take charge of our own preventive health care plan, which is less costly and much more effective than relying on western medicine (mainstream medicine) to cure a lifestyle of poor habits. Today’s “mainstream” society is not going to make this easy, of course, you already know!    

The reason acidosis is more common in our society is mostly due to the typical western diet, which is far too high in acid producing animal products like meat, eggs and dairy, and far too low in alkaline producing foods like fresh vegetables.  Additionally, we eat acid producing processed foods like white flour and sugar and drink acid producing beverages like coffee and soft drinks.  We use too many drugs, which are acid forming; and we use artificial chemical sweetners like NutraSweet, Spoonful, Sweet 'N Low, Equal, or Aspartame, which are poison and extremely acid forming.  One of the best things we can do to correct an overly acid body is to clean up the diet and lifestyle.

"Everyone should know that most cancer research is largely a fraud and that the major cancer research organisations are derelict in their duties to the people who support them." - Linus Pauling

http://rense.com/general9/cre.htm

• Upvote 1

Thanks Tankdude for your input from the PM I sent you the other day about wheatgrass. I still have not made a decision on what to do. One thing I have noticed from the different diets I have tried. I have the most energy and feel better when I eat more fruits and vegetables and less meat. Thanks again! 

leanonme - your welcome and glad I could offer you some information.  I for one try for balance. One of my guiding thoughts is cellular homeostasis .  We all really live and die at the cellular level. Healthy cells lead to healthy tissue which leads to healthy organs. You want a healthy heart - you need healthy heart cells. Makes sense to me. 

Scientists agree with me too - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20013185

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

TY Tankdude and Thaiexpat for the good info another piece of the puzzle lol. A question for either one of you guys. RE: bicorbonate of soda (baking soda) a lot of guys think it's a wonder drug...is it because it's alkaline (as above) or is it other properties of the stuff.

This is from a post in Nov of 2014 where there is some discussion on the uses of baking soda

http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/191404-the-health-wonders-of-baking-soda/

Readers Digest version - depending on whs your using it for, it has it's benefits - but definitley not the "wonder drug" some people think it is.  In some cases, it can actually be harmful if too much is used - as is the case with just about anything.  Even too much water can be toxic.   That's why I advocate being careful with any supplement. 

I only  know of 1 supplement where they have never found an LD50 (Median toxicity level where 50% of tested subject animals die).  If anyone knows of another I'd like to know.