Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq to postpone Fighter Jets purchase

Fummins

Iraq isn’t currently seeking to buy U.S. F-16 fighter jets made by Lockheed Martin Corp. (LMT) because it lacks the funds to rebuild its air force, government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh said.

“Iraq is determined to rebuild its air power capabilities, but the plan is postponed,” al-Dabbagh said in a telephone interview from Baghdad. “There are no new negotiations by the Iraqi government or the defense ministry,” he said. The defense portfolio is held by Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki.

The Wall Street Journal reported earlier today that Iraq has started negotiations to buy U.S. fighter jets

The Iraqi government was close to signing an agreement on the purchase last year before plans were delayed when funds were diverted for food rations and other urgent items, al-Dabbagh said.

“The plan was postponed, but not canceled as we will rebuild our armed forces in the next few years when there will be more liquidity,” the spokesman said.

Iraq requested on Aug. 27, 2008, for information on pricing and availability of 36 U.S. F-16 aircraft, manufactured by Bethesda, Maryland-based Lockheed, Vanessa Murray, director of legislative and public affairs at the Pentagon’s Defense Security Cooperation Agency, said The plan was revived a few months ago until Iraq’s parliament agreed to divert funds for fighter jets to social programs.

Iraq is struggling to rebuild its army and security forces to end the violence that has engulfed the country since the U.S.-led invasion that ousted the regime of President Saddam Hussein. U.S. troops are due to withdraw from Iraq by the end of the year.

I would wait until the rest of the denials and confirmations to be released by all the independent spokespersons, and spun to the benefit of the various tribal journalists.

I believe this topic will surface again..

Every time they speak of buying the jets, the next day the claim is shut down and they have other issues to take care of. What is the deal with that??

I think last time, even the US counterpart offering the jets, was an article quickly pulled...

And before, it was 18 jets, now its 36...

Here's a thought, maybe they're not allowed to purchase any weapons due to chap.7 not being fully lifted. Hmmm, I don't know just a thought. Once they sit their goi they will be out of chap. 7, and then they'll have plenty of money and credit to buy planes, tanks, and other big boy stuff.

Go Iraq, Go Rv

• Upvote 2

Here's a thought, maybe they're not allowed to purchase any weapons due to chap.7 not being fully lifted. Hmmm, I don't know just a thought. Once they sit their goi they will be out of chap. 7, and then they'll have plenty of money and credit to buy planes, tanks, and other big boy stuff.

Go Iraq, Go Rv

I agree with you. And a plus 1...

• Upvote 1