Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Okie is a Plagiarist

djgabrielie

I know that I heard that line before... you know the one he starts every one of his posts with lately.

"GOOD DAY AMERICA AND SHIPS AT SEA ..."

First a quick definition of Plagiarism

Plagiarism is defined in dictionaries as the "wrongful appropriation," "close imitation," or "purloining and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions," and the representation of them as one's own original work, but the notion remains problematic with nebulous boundaries. The modern concept of plagiarism as immoral and originality as an ideal emerged in Europe only in the 18th century, particularly with the Romantic movement, while in the previous centuries authors and artists were encouraged to "copy the masters as closely as possible" and avoid "unnecessary invention."

The 18th century new morals have been institutionalized and enforced prominently in the sectors of academia and journalism, where plagiarism is now considered academic dishonesty and a breach of journalistic ethics, subject to sanctions like expulsion and other severe career damage. Not so in the arts, which not only have resisted in their long-established tradition of copying as a fundamental practice of the creative process, but with the boom of the modernist and postmodern movements in the 20th century, this practice has been heightened as the central and representative artistic device. Plagiarism remains tolerated by 21st century artists.

Plagiarism is not a crime but is disapproved more on the grounds of moral offense.

I will then refer you to the following from Wikipedia.

"Good evening Mr. and Mrs. America from border to border and coast to coast and all the ships at sea. Let's go to press."

Walter Winchell (April 7, 1897 – February 20, 1972) was an American newspaper and radio commentator. He invented the gossip column while at the New York Evening Graphic.

Now read the rest at the following link for much more than I ever knew about Walter Winchell. Also keep in mind that Jack Paar use to be the host of the tonight show from 1957 to 1962. lol

Walter Winchell wikipedia

Enough said.... lol

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

OMG!!! OMG!!! I was wondering why Okie was so influential!!!..."I'll never...ever....and I mean it! I'll never believe Okie and anybody else who plagerizes....ever again!!!What audacity! What arrogance!! So self conceited!! Thank you for opening my eye's!! I am now so much wiser! Hey......hmmm? Maybe I will open my own site! I'll call it "How to spot nitwits." Thank you for your in"site" ...Go RV!!!!!

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research. :lol::o:lol::o

I like it... lol Have to remember that one. lol

That is really stretching it. His 7 words against 24 words. Plus do we really want him to list footnotes so people understand or can we just go with it.

Once again I would refer you to the definition:

Plagiarism is defined in dictionaries as the "wrongful appropriation," "close imitation," or "purloining and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions," and the representation of them as one's own original work, but the notion remains problematic with nebulous boundaries.

Just that to besmirch a well know celebrity is one thing, it is another to try fill his shoes... good luck with that one Okie... lol

Several years as a newspaper owner, and editor, give me some insight on this issue.

Okie is plagiarizing Winchell, and others. It is one thing to use a "Winchellism" on occasion, to make a point. or any other well known word or phrase that is associated with one person consistently. But it is quite another to use that word or phrase over and over and over. Okie uses a part of Winchell's introduction over and over and over. He didn't used to ... it seems fairly recent ... something gave him the idea it was effective and there he goes ... using it like it is perfectly okay.

And it is okay simply because there is no way to stop someone on the internet from using that kind of plagiarism. On line blogs and forums and chat and social networking sites cannot be "policed" for someting like plagiarism. People in general don't care any longer. There are legal rights to creative work, and Winchell's phraseology, even though only part of it is used, is, indeed, a creative work to which he has all rights. But how do you enforce something on the internet?

Someone suggested in another topic that after the RV they would like to see Okie and other pushers ... er, I mean ah ... pumpers, that's it ... that they all be fined or punished for their part in what they are doing to people, undue influence and all that. But how on earth would you even find Okie and prove it was him who did the posting and chatting? Impossible. Just the nature of the medium.

So, I agree, but cannot offer any comment on how it could be stopped.

By the way, I read all of the Wikipedia link and it was very interesting. Told me things I did not know about Mr. Winchell. Thanks for the post !

:)

xmee2

• Downvote 1