Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraqi journalist arrested for publishing article critical of Maliki’s rule

Baghdad, INN- Prime Minister Nouri Al Maliki has ordered arrest of Iraqi journalist Murtadha al-Shahtour for publishing an article which criticizes Maliki’s political program, well-informed political sources in Baghdad stated Monday. Shahtour published an article entitled “Who Bears the Responsibility?” in which he criticized Maliki’s way of choosing ministers for security portfolios from his own party members. “It has become clear that the Prime Minister does not want to have security minister from the present security leaders but rather he strives to appoint members of his own party who have come from abroad for these posts,” Shahtour said in his article. It is also clear that Maliki’s consultant Commission insists on choosing from the Prime Minister’s closest aides to hold the posts of defense, interior and national security ministers, Shahtour said. With this policy, the Prime Minister has completely disregarded the sacrifices and tremendous efforts by some security leaders who are supposed to be worthy of these posts, said the Iraqi journalists. Efforts of those security officers were ignored and completely denied by Maliki’s closest advisors who even accused some officers in the Interior Ministry of planning an attempt to overthrow Maliki and dozens of those officers were arrested as a result, Shatour explained. “I don’t think Maliki has a lot in his hand to deal with the security file,” he said. “I hope and wish to be wrong and have something that makes optimistic but this seems to be very little , “ Shahtour concluded. Shatour is not the first journalist to be detained for political opinion. Another journalist and writer Saed al-Alousi is still under arrest although he has completed his imprisonment just for publishing a similar article.

Link - http://www.assafirpress.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=633:iraqi-journalist-arrested-for-publishing-article-critical-of-malikis-rule-&catid=13:politics&Itemid=26

Agreeably some articles regarding the political process during this period of Iraqi civil unrest should be squashed and stamped out. In saying this though I hope we do not see a repeat of the Saddam era ways with dealing with free thinkers and speakers. I do not have the answer mind you but I can understand why the GOI does not receive any further bad press. JMO. Peace.

The reporter should get a medal.

They haven't got the hang of this democracy stuff.

Apparently, most believe it is possible to be "kinda pregnant"

We gave a lot of blood for them to adopt a lifestyle free of dictatorship.

For all our troubles, they elect another one to take Saddam's place......

• Upvote 1

A few months back people were talking about how Maliki has a more democratic mindset than Allawi.....REALLY? These people have no idea about a representative republic or a democracy, but judging from this article, they definitely need to get Maliki out of there. If they're going to be a "democracy," then they need someone in there that is about it.