Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

ID6.5 BILLION stolen from al-Rafideen Bank

ID6.5 million stolen from al-Rafideen Bank

May 28, 2010 - 09:04:52

NAJAF / Aswat al-Iraq: Around 6.5 million dinars have been stolen from al-Rafideen Bank in southern Najaf, chairman of the security committee said on Friday.

“A group of thieves stole 6.5 million dinars from al-Rafideen Bank of al-Mekhshab branch, wouthern Najaf,” Loay al-Yasseri told Aswat al-Iraq news agency.

“Preliminary information assert that the robbery has been planned by some of the bank’s guards,” he added, without giving further details.

SH (P)

http://en.aswataliraq.info/?p=132355

UPDATED

Security guards drugged in $5 mln Iraq bank robbery

REUTERS

REUTERS - 2 hrs 36 mins ago

Security guards drugged in $5 mln Iraq bank robbery

NAJAF, Iraq (Reuters) - Robbers in Iraq stole 6.5 billion Iraqi dinars ($5.5 million) from a state-owned bank on Friday, assisted by a security guard who spiked his colleagues' tea, police officials said.

"According to the information available to the security forces, one of the guards drugged his colleagues by putting a drug in their tea," Najaf province security committee head Louai al-Yasiri told Reuters.

After the drinks were spiked, armed men entered the Rafidain bank in the town of al-Mishkab, Najaf province, shortly after midnight and made off with the loot, said Yasiri.

The drugged security guards have since recovered and no other casualties were reported.

The bank robbery followed a gold heist on Tuesday in Baghdad, when gunmen shot dead 14 people and stripped a row of goldsmiths of gold and cash in a bustling trade market normally heavily guarded by police.

The Iraqi government blamed the gold robbery on Sunni al Qaeda insurgents, trying to finance their operations.

Security officials say there are strong links between organised crime and the diminished but adapting insurgency.

Despite sectarian violence at a low ebb not seen since late 2003, shootings and bombings by militants and criminal gangs remain common.

Yasiri said police had evidence suggesting who might have been behind the bank robbery and the investigation was ongoing.

(Reporting by Khalid Farhan in Najaf, writing by Muhanad Mohammed; Editing by Michael Taylor)

http://www.insing.com/news/international-asia-middle-east/security-guards-drugged-in-5-mln-iraq-bank-robbery/id-76d41900?ref=RSS

• Upvote 1

Just thinking out loud here ... So they stole $6500 USD ... in a place that cuts of hands, feet, and heads for such things ... doesn't it seem odd that "guards" (an inside job) felt it "prudent" to steal it? But then were so bad at it that they only got 6.5 M IQD ... which is less than a handfull.

I guess my question is ... why would you risk life and limb (literally) for toilet paper? ... and for so little ... you know, a hundred million or so IQD ... OK, that makes sense ... it did say "guards" so they would have to split it up ... I mean, unless you knew that it was going to be worth something ... really worth something ... and pretty soon. Now that would be worth the risk! And didn't it say that they worked at the bank (where there might be a hint of some intel)?

Thanks K98nights for the article.

Just so you know, I'm still buying IQD and I will until our new national holiday ... the "Iraqi RI/RV Day" which I will thank God for and celebrate annually!

Edited by Doc31

FOR THE RECORD I COMMENTED AND THEN IT WAS UPDATED

As I said, it didn't make sense for 6.5M IQD ... 6.5B IQD is a whole different story. (Give or take $5.6M worth of IQD with a post RI/RV value possibly in the billions of dollars)

One of the members of my group asked me a very good question ... "do you suppose that the purpose of this is so that we will now have to prove where we bought our IQD like they did in Kuwait?"

"That is a very good question," I replied.

And so now I pose it to you ...

... the answer of course lies with whomever really was responsible for this heist.

1) was it strictly for the money/power

2) was it an Al qaeda or Iranian op to fund terrorism

3) or was it as my friend suggested ... subterfuge

It is something to think about this weekend.

Peace

Doc31

And to all you veterans ... retired or currently active, Thank you for your service and sacrifice ... have a great weekend and be blessed.

My question is ... are the sudden rash of bank robberies ( if u can call it that ) in conjunction with possible RV? it will turn avrg robberry into HUGE .... will this continue as people think the RV is close?? If I were a terrorist tryn to rasie money nows the time IMO the will do more over the next few months than decades of fundraising

My question is ... are the sudden rash of bank robberies ( if u can call it that ) in conjunction with possible RV? it will turn avrg robberry into HUGE .... will this continue as people think the RV is close?? If I were a terrorist tryn to rasie money nows the time IMO the will do more over the next few months than decades of fundraising

The longer Iraq remains a nation of poverty, the more desperate the people will get. Time to RV!

Just thinking out loud here ... So they stole $6500 USD ... in a place that cuts of hands, feet, and heads for such things ... doesn't it seem odd that "guards" (an inside job) felt it "prudent" to steal it? But then were so bad at it that they only got 6.5 M IQD ... which is less than a handfull.

I guess my question is ... why would you risk life and limb (literally) for toilet paper? ... and for so little ... you know, a hundred million or so IQD ... OK, that makes sense ... it did say "guards" so they would have to split it up ... I mean, unless you knew that it was going to be worth something ... really worth something ... and pretty soon. Now that would be worth the risk! And didn't it say that they worked at the bank (where there might be a hint of some intel)?

Thanks K98nights for the article.

Just so you know, I'm still buying IQD and I will until our new national holiday ... the "Iraqi RI/RV Day" which I will thank God for and celebrate annually!

Unless I am reading it wrong they stole 6.5 BILLION Dinar or 5.5 Million USD That's a whole lot money for them to steal and worth a hand to them.

Unless I am reading it wrong they stole 6.5 BILLION Dinar or 5.5 Million USD That's a whole lot money for them to steal and worth a hand to them.

Read my second post on this thread and you will understand that it was updated mid-day ... which hand though? ... I'm kidding ... it is a pile of money isn't it?