Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraqi army retakes chemical weapons site from ISIS

k98nights

Iraqi army retakes chemical weapons site from ISIS

2014-12-02 13:14

6c027d5a72a54a9aa6b187411bc2da6c.jpg

(Vadim Ghirda, AP)

The Hague - The Iraqi army has retaken from Islamist insurgents a sprawling complex where aging remnants of late President Saddam Hussein's chemical weapons programme are stored in bunkers, the country's deputy foreign minister said on Monday.

Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militants, who had seized the area during a lightning offensive last June, were not able to penetrate the fortified bunkers, Mohammad Jawad Al-Doraky told delegates at a chemical weapons conference in The Hague.

He said Iraqi government forces had now managed to oust ISIS from the compound, where two sealed bunkers contain stockpiles of old chemicals, rockets and equipment.

Al-Doraky said a facility set up under a plan to destroy the chemicals, built with tens of millions of dollars in US funding, had been looted. The area north of Baghdad had also been mined, postponing the demolition plan that had been set to be carried out this year.

"The Iraqi army, during the past period, has recovered the Muthanna site and the roads leading to it", he told delegates at the annual conference of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW).

"Military engineers are now working on removing mines and explosive devices from around the site and the region", he said. "The terrorists were unable to penetrate the fortified bunkers."

Once at the heart of Saddam Hussein's chemical arsenal, which was used to kill thousands of Iraqi Kurds in the 1980s, two large bunkers now contain aging weapons that must be destroyed under the Chemical Weapons Convention.

http://www.news24.com/World/News/Iraqi-army-retakes-chemical-weapons-site-from-ISIS-20141202

• Upvote 1

I don't get it

All I read was the Kurds and baghdad agreed to sell the oil thru baghdad

I read nothing that says hcl anywhere

But I did read lots of people asking if this is the hcl

From what I read the iraqi people rejected the hcl and their representatives acknowledged their constituents and voted it down

They don't want any external influences on iraqi oil they want the oil nationalized the same way it has been for the last 39 years

What's the differance between what the Kurds agreed to and what the oil was were two years ago ?

And I thought all the chemical weapons were destroyed before the troops left iraq

I don't get it

All I read was the Kurds and baghdad agreed to sell the oil thru baghdad

I read nothing that says hcl anywhere

But I did read lots of people asking if this is the hcl

From what I read the iraqi people rejected the hcl and their representatives acknowledged their constituents and voted it down

They don't want any external influences on iraqi oil they want the oil nationalized the same way it has been for the last 39 years

What's the differance between what the Kurds agreed to and what the oil was were two years ago ?

And I thought all the chemical weapons were destroyed before the troops left iraq

Here ya go D L. Its not hard to find

https://translate.go...html&edit-text=