Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

A WORD for Thursday, July 17, 2014

ronscarpa

A WORD for Thursday, July 17, 2014

Zacchaeus and Hope for the Wealthy
Read Luke 18:18–30; 19:1–10 (See Bottom)

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Matthew 5:8

The following lyrics will quickly bring a familiar tune to mind for some of us: Zacchaeus was a wee little man / And a wee little man was he / He climbed up in a sycamore tree / For the Lord he wanted to see / And as the Savior came that way / He looked up in the tree / And he said, Zacchaeus, you come down from there / For I’m going to your house today. The simplicity of this song—popular in many church nurseries and Sunday school classrooms—belies the profound implications of Zacchaeus’ story for our understanding of wealth, economic justice, and Jesus’ posture toward those most despised by society.

While the Gospel of Luke mentions the conversion of tax collectors (3:12; 7:29; 15:1; 18:10), we know that people with this job during Jesus’ time were widely shunned. Tax collectors extorted their fellow Jews on behalf of the Roman government and used questionable methods to accrue vast personal wealth. As a senior tax official in the important business hub of Jericho, Zacchaeus would have been well known for his long involvement in the corrupt system.

The crowd was shocked when Jesus approached Zacchaeus and invited Himself over: “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today” (19:5). That a king, much less a rabbi, would avail himself of the hospitality of a known sinner was a scandal in Jewish culture. And yet Jesus entered into relationships with the most marginalized members of society.

Zacchaeus demonstrates how the gospel transforms our views about personal finance and business practices. Instead of theft, he practiced generosity. Instead of cheating others, he now made restitution. A life transformed by Jesus includes a change in the way we serve others through our wealth.

Apply the Word

We know from the story of the rich man in Luke 18 that money is among the greatest impediments to the kingdom of God. But Zacchaeus’ story provides hope for the wealthy that they can take steps to orient their lives around God’s will. Consider your own financial situation: is it a stumbling block to closer fellowship with God and others?

Moody

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Referenced Scripture above

Luke 18:18-30 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

The Rich Young Ruler

18 A ruler questioned Him, saying, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” 19 And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone. 20 You know the commandments, ‘Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.’” 21 And he said, “All these things I have kept from my youth.” 22 When Jesus heard this, He said to him, “One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” 23 But when he had heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich. 24 And Jesus looked at him and said, “How hard it is for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God! 25 For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” 26 They who heard it said, “Then who can be saved?” 27 But He said, “The things that are impossible with people are possible with God.”

28 Peter said, “Behold, we have left our own homes and followed You.” 29 And He said to them, “Truly I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothers or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, 30 who will not receive many times as much at this time and in the age to come, eternal life.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Luke 19:1-10 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Zaccheus Converted

19 He entered Jericho and was passing through. 2 And there was a man called by the name of Zaccheus; he was a chief tax collector and he was rich. 3 Zaccheus was trying to see who Jesus was, and was unable because of the crowd, for he was small in stature. 4 So he ran on ahead and climbed up into a sycamore tree in order to see Him, for He was about to pass through that way. 5 When Jesus came to the place, He looked up and said to him, “Zaccheus, hurry and come down, for today I must stay at your house.” 6 And he hurried and came down and received Him gladly. 7 When they saw it, they all began to grumble, saying, “He has gone to be the guest of a man who is a sinner.” 8 Zaccheus stopped and said to the Lord, “Behold, Lord, half of my possessions I will give to the poor, and if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I will give back four times as much.” 9 And Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because he, too, is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.”