Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Riley "Boots on The Ground" Information 3-30-2010 1:30 PM CST

ToddS

The country of Iraq is about the square mileage equivalent of California, with the Euphrates and Tigris River's running through it and supplying the country with water, during the time I arrived early '06 it was said that as many as 500 bodies a day were being pulled out of the rivers. Bear in mind that Saddam dammed one up the Euphrates river in Haditha to stop the flow trying to choke out the Sunni's in Southern Iraq, by doing this the irrigation ditches dried up and filled with sand in many areas. The US Army Corps of Engineers and the Iraqi's are now fixing these irrigation ditches and water is starting to flow again everywhere in country. There is a major base he had built in the river basin as well. If that dam (Haditha) ever breaks those folks (ours) have about 15 minutes or so to evacuate or drown trying to get out of the river basin with river walls almost 60' feet up. The ground here is extremely fertile and you could just about spit and a blade of grass would pop up...lol. Everybody thinks the country will survive on the oil alone, but I have news for you, once this country gets that oil flowing and the agriculture picks up they could survive alone on the agricultural exports. I'll being watching stocks on Dates, as that is one of the major staples in this country and they're famous for them here. I've brought them home as Christmas gifts and they're delicious. Well I think I've shared quite a bit already so I'll go on to seeing what's new today!! Keeping my head high and waiting for my R&R in two weeks!!! Praying it RV's before or when I'm home!!! :)

• Upvote 1

Thank you Riley for taking the time to talk with us about your interaction with the locals you have become friends with. I love the fact that you know what they like such as the apples, chocolate, Burger King, and Veg. Pizza. I have to agree with them I love cokes also.

I would also like to thank hypr2001 for letting us know the difference in the Iraqi people he deals with and Chief V for sharing the amazing pictures he has taken also. We here in the states very much appreciate what all of you do.

Thank you,

Malissa

Thank you for the information from Iraq. Very interesting to hear about the country and everyday people.

Just a side note...why does everyone say these outrageous temperatures occur in Iraq though? The highest temperature ever recorded was 136 F in Libya. I think the record in Iraq is in the 120's with avg. highs of 110 in July and August. Not too different from our avg. temps in AZ in July. Not criticizing, but I have heard this for a long time so I looked it up quite a while ago because the 140's+ temps just seemed crazy to me.

• Upvote 1

Hi Zelda, and thank you. Trust me, nobody is out here in the desert just to check the temperatures. I've personally seen two weeks of 147 degrees with one day of 153 degrees smack in the middle of it, and have it documented from a Wet Bulb test which I have a copy of at home. The average temperature is 120 degrees, I actually have a picture somewhere here that shows someone standing by a temperature gauge pegged at 120 if there's any doubt...lol. yes it could have went further I'm quite positive...lol. It is crazy......but it's true. Ask anyone who's actually been here. Even though the humidity is low it's still unbearable over 125 degrees.

Thanks!! :)

I bet being in uniform and full military gear is no picnic! Blessings to all you men and women!

luckylucy

Hi Zelda, and thank you. Trust me, nobody is out here in the desert just to check the temperatures. I've personally seen two weeks of 147 degrees with one day of 153 degrees smack in the middle of it, and have it documented from a Wet Bulb test which I have a copy of at home. The average temperature is 120 degrees, I actually have a picture somewhere here that shows someone standing by a temperature gauge pegged at 120 if there's any doubt...lol. yes it could have went further I'm quite positive...lol. It is crazy......but it's true. Ask anyone who's actually been here. Even though the humidity is low it's still unbearable over 125 degrees.

Thanks!! :)

Thank you to Riley and Hyper as well, and Lucky I work with the Fire Departments over here, and it's even hotter in our gear than in a military uniform...lol

Zelda here is one more pic for you, it was one of the Firefighters over here standing next to it, so for confidence's sake I cropped the photo. I also have to recant saying pegged at 120, I forgot these went to 140, I've seen them pegged at 140. This again is an average days' temperature depending on the location, this was near Baghdad, the higher temperatures I have seen were about 180 miles south of Baghdad. :)

Whosaysitdoesntgetthishot.jpg

Thank you for the information from Iraq. Very interesting to hear about the country and everyday people.

Just a side note...why does everyone say these outrageous temperatures occur in Iraq though? The highest temperature ever recorded was 136 F in Libya. I think the record in Iraq is in the 120's with avg. highs of 110 in July and August. Not too different from our avg. temps in AZ in July. Not criticizing, but I have heard this for a long time so I looked it up quite a while ago because the 140's+ temps just seemed crazy to me.

Usually we all say it because the temps we see are in the 140s. I dont know how that weather guy got his numbers but mine came from the ground that was 140. Usually airports are a great source for weather men BUT the are not always accurate due to the fact they are in a very wide open space. I persosnally use free air temp gauges we have in our helicopters, they seem pretty accurate considering we use them to gauge the health aspect of our engines. Been to AZ also and it isnt too different except the intensity and of course the temp itself.

Chief 5 Thank You very much for sharing your photos and your insight of just how things actually are. It is great to get this from somebody who is there right at the front door. You guys keep safe . Ladwiss from Montana

The country of Iraq is about the square mileage equivalent of California, with the Euphrates and Tigris River's running through it and supplying the country with water, during the time I arrived early '06 it was said that as many as 500 bodies a day were being pulled out of the rivers. Bear in mind that Saddam dammed one up the Euphrates river in Haditha to stop the flow trying to choke out the Sunni's in Southern Iraq, by doing this the irrigation ditches dried up and filled with sand in many areas. The US Army Corps of Engineers and the Iraqi's are now fixing these irrigation ditches and water is starting to flow again everywhere in country. There is a major base he had built in the river basin as well. If that dam (Haditha) ever breaks those folks (ours) have about 15 minutes or so to evacuate or drown trying to get out of the river basin with river walls almost 60' feet up. The ground here is extremely fertile and you could just about spit and a blade of grass would pop up...lol. Everybody thinks the country will survive on the oil alone, but I have news for you, once this country gets that oil flowing and the agriculture picks up they could survive alone on the agricultural exports. I'll being watching stocks on Dates, as that is one of the major staples in this country and they're famous for them here. I've brought them home as Christmas gifts and they're delicious. Well I think I've shared quite a bit already so I'll go on to seeing what's new today!! Keeping my head high and waiting for my R&R in two weeks!!! Praying it RV's before or when I'm home!!! :)

Until one has been there and seen the locals in thier confused element, it is hard to understand what they all are going through. The majority have very little education, have been sheltered, lied to, killed, forced into poverty, lost their homes, businesses, jobs, families. It is really sad, the conditions they have had to endure, reason most are thankful Saddam is gone, they have been liberated and their futures are looking up. The corruption within the government has been out of control and they know it but have been afraid to communicate that due to fear of discipline. They have no concept of democracy or western traditions and culture. That this RV is for them, after years and years of "depression" mental and physical, they are truely deserving.

Believe me, 140 is not crazy at all, and, when one has all his/her field gear on, one feels every degree of it, but,,,, its a dry heat which helps a bit. LOL.

I would like to thank all the fine members of DinarVets that have posted in this thread thus far. It has turned into exactly what I had hoped it would, an educational experience for me as to the life and living conditions of the average Iraqi, and not something filtered through some editors bias. I learned a tremendous amount through just looking at "Chief V's" photos, and"hypr2001's" insight and of course "Riley" who started the thread with her chat. I appreciate "wilecoyote" speaking up also as I wanted to hear from people that have actually spent time there, and from others, like myself, that have not but have questions that we would like answered by some source other than a network news channel.

Sincerely,

Todd

Chief - incredible pictures - thank you so much for sharing....

Most summers here are in the 130's - summer before last there were in the 140's (quite a few days) - as far as 150's - only one time but I have heard from the other camps that it happens....it's funny when at times you hear people say "wow cool front, it's only gonna be 112 today"

The sand storms haven't been too bad this year either - only a couple of "orange days" - but to watch them role in is a site that one just can not imagine and you can run but the fine dust (sand) will find you...the containers we live in just are not sand proof.

I tried to add some pictures as well - but it doesn't apear to have worked. Sorry.....maybe I should have loaded one at a time.....

Edited by Riley
correcting the typos

Riley have the people in iraqi ever been promised a higher standerd of life based on the value of there currency by any of the goverment

candidats and are pepole in iraqe on average used to a much higher standerd of living?

kingcrab - I do not know what they have been promised or not promised -

1. are there Palace's - YES

2. are there remains of buildings with are and chandeliers - YES

3. are there families without beds, running water, electricity - YES

4. on average a higher standard of living? not from what I see but then again there are people on DV that are in different parts that could probably answer this differently

I have a question, especially since you seem to be in a more poverty-stricken area. Is there any Iraqi gov't plans to help the many people forced from their homes either without any money or who were able to take some, but have run out. And even those who may have always lived in poverty? With a RV happening, that will be great, but only for someone who actually has money.

Can you shed some light on this ?

There are talks about residential construction...in my opinion the RV will help even those that have very little dinar...it is very hard from me to speak of the government - they do have Iraqi Television but because I do not speak the different languages here - I can't watch without someone translating. So for me to speak about that, it's just what they tell me. Sorry I don't have more on this one.