Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

OUTSIDE, NATURAL SETTING

smee2

Sitting here and not wanting to be here and feeling the way I feel, I thought about where I would like to be ... outside ... as opposed to inside which is another whole topic altogether.

I would like to be in a wooded area, municipal forestry area, or wooded wilderness, or large city park. It would have several evergreen trees, pine, the ones that are shaped like the pine scented air fresheners you get for your old car. At least one of the trees would be old enough, and large enough, that the bottom branches would reach out to form a diameter of 12 to 20 feet. By that size they should be about 2 to 4 feet off the ground, with a barren area beneath of rusty red and brown pine needles, as well as a few old pine cones the chipmumks have taken all the seeds from and left behind.

I would take an old blanket I keep in the car and shaking it out first, put it down under these lower pine boughs on top of the dried pine needles. On hands and knees I would spread it out so that I could be totally under the boughs.

Then as I lay there on the blanket, in the complete shade of the tree, I would know it was hot out beyond the boughs where the sun is beating down on the green of the manicured park lawn, or the dun colour of the dried grasses waving knee-high in the summer breezes.

Lying there in the shade with my eyes closed I could feel the gentle breezes, and smell the pine scent they carry with an occasonal whiff of other growing things, and even the water nearby if it is. The sighing in the upper branches would compete for my attention with the far off cries of hawk or eagle while closer the chirping of song birds would dance up and down the scales.

This is one of the places I would like to be right now. It is a place I have been many times. Sadly it is a place I will never be again. But I still have the memories.

So, tell us, what is your favourite outside place, and what is it about that place you like?

:)

smee2

• Upvote 5

Sitting here and not wanting to be here and feeling the way I feel, I thought about where I would like to be ... outside ... as opposed to inside which is another whole topic altogether.

I would like to be in a wooded area, municipal forestry area, or wooded wilderness, or large city park. It would have several evergreen trees, pine, the ones that are shaped like the pine scented air fresheners you get for your old car. At least one of the trees would be old enough, and large enough, that the bottom branches would reach out to form a diameter of 12 to 20 feet. By that size they should be about 2 to 4 feet off the ground, with a barren area beneath of rusty red and brown pine needles, as well as a few old pine cones the chipmumks have taken all the seeds from and left behind.

I would take an old blanket I keep in the car and shaking it out first, put it down under these lower pine boughs on top of the dried pine needles. On hands and knees I would spread it out so that I could be totally under the boughs.

Then as I lay there on the blanket, in the complete shade of the tree, I would know it was hot out beyond the boughs where the sun is beating down on the green of the manicured park lawn, or the dun colour of the dried grasses waving knee-high in the summer breezes.

Lying there in the shade with my eyes closed I could feel the gentle breezes, and smell the pine scent they carry with an occasonal whiff of other growing things, and even the water nearby if it is. The sighing in the upper branches would compete for my attention with the far off cries of hawk or eagle while closer the chirping of song birds would dance up and down the scales.

This is one of the places I would like to be right now. It is a place I have been many times. Sadly it is a place I will never be again. But I still have the memories.

So, tell us, what is your favourite outside place, and what is it about that place you like?

smee2

[/quote

Smee,

You have surely said it all for me!!!.

We could make a quick run to Prescott but the monsoon season is here and i DON'T like all the lightening.

We had a storm this afteenoon and I-17 from Phoenix to Sunrise Point was nothing but a solid blue line of lightening strikes.

We do hope it clears some before August 10, we reserve the same room for our anniversary each year at Prescott.

Will be # 47 this year.

Prayers for your quick recovery!

Blessings

Luci

This is one of my all time favorite places Smee... the Blue Ridge Mnts. of NC.

I lived in the foothills for roughly 13 years... they got in my blood, and I miss em dearly. wub.gif

529051_331974490222310_1642036976_n.jpg

If not there... then someplace like this, with a cold drink in my hand, and a set of snorkel gear... cool.gif

BOR_100_1280x1024.jpg

Course I would want my friends by me (the four and the two legged kind)!!!rolleyes.gif

480496_389941681070462_1972316668_n.jpg

Edited by RodandStaff
  • Upvote 2

It's always been High mountain lakes, waterfalls, and streams for me. I was raised in North bend, Wa. I think about 1 mile from Rattlesnake Lake. As a kid we would spend our summer days at the lake, or floating the South Fork of the Snoqualmie. There was another spot in town called Blue Hole that had rope swings on the Middle Fork, and another called Unemployment beach. That was where all three forks came together and made the Snoqualmie. Thanks Smee for the trip. :)

This is one of my all time favorite places Smee... the Blue Ridge Mnts. of NC.

I lived in the foothills for roughly 13 years... they got in my blood, and I miss em dearly. wub.gif

529051_331974490222310_1642036976_n.jpg

If not there... then someplace like this, with a cold drink in my hand, and a set of snorkel gear... cool.gif

BOR_100_1280x1024.jpg

Course I would want my friends by me (the four and the two legged kind)!!!rolleyes.gif

480496_389941681070462_1972316668_n.jpg

Very good choices. And of course the four ffoted friends would be there ... how could we leave such loyal, usually furry, creatures behind? (I say usually furry because one of my first four footed friends was a turtle, hahaha)

You could save me a place on the dock where I might sit and dangle my feet in the water while I watch you snorkle ... *sigh*

smee2

It's always been High mountain lakes, waterfalls, and streams for me. I was raised in North bend, Wa. I think about 1 mile from Rattlesnake Lake. As a kid we would spend our summer days at the lake, or floating the South Fork of the Snoqualmie. There was another spot in town called Blue Hole that had rope swings on the Middle Fork, and another called Unemployment beach. That was where all three forks came together and made the Snoqualmie. Thanks Smee for the trip. :)

Yup, being able to go back in our minds and remember those places and those times is a real trip, and a great one! Thankfully, even when we cannot revisit those places and those times we still have our memories ... unless oldtimer's disease strikes ... but I am trying to forget all about that. hahaha

smee2

• Upvote 1

Lynx Lake Az......was just there recently (about a mile from my home)

lynx-lake-prescot-az-by-karen.jpg

Watson Lake Az.......camped here many times, good fishing & riding trails (about 5 miles away)

WATSON%20LAKE%20ARIZONA%205%20-%20Douglas%20Bacso%20-%202nd%20Place.jpg

Havasupai Falls Az......12 mile hike to the camp site (or 5 min in the helicopter)

I've made this trek 4 times, one of those we flew in, that was the best one :D

havasupai_falls.png

Cedar Key Fl......I really need to get back to the Keys....its absolutely pristine

100_69931.JPG?width=737&height=552

• Upvote 1

Havasupai Falls Az......12 mile hike to the camp site (or 5 min in the helicopter)

I've made this trek 4 times, one of those we flew in, that was the best one :D

havasupai_falls.png

I always wanted to go here... it's rated like the 3 most beautiful waterfalls in the world or something like that... awesome place. I was out to the Grand Canyon.. in the shape of my life (marathoning) but the altitude got to me.. a simple 5 mile hike totally wiped me out. I didn't have anything left to make the hike to the falls... so disappointing. I was under the impression they quite doing the helicopter rides.... or is that just in the canyon itself? If there still doing that I will put this back on my bucket list... cause my banged up legs won't carry me that far anymore!!!

Edited by RodandStaff

I always wanted to go here... it's rated like the 3 most beautiful waterfalls in the world or something like that... awesome place. I was out to the Grand Canyon.. in the shape of my life (marathoning) but the altitude got to me.. a simple 5 mile hike totally wiped me out. I didn't have anything left to make the hike to the falls... so disappointing. I was under the impression they quite doing the helicopter rides.... or is that just in the canyon itself? If there still doing that I will put this back on my bucket list... cause my banged up legs won't carry me that far anymore!!!

Rod....The helicopter rides still happen as far as I know...heres the

contact I have, it was $75 one way, last time I was there....2008

http://airwesthelicopters.com/servicespages/charter.html

Did you actually go into Havasu Canyon?...If so, you were very close, at 5 miles

to where the river starts

Havasu Canyon is west of the Grand Canyon off of I-40. And your right, its one

of the most beautiful places I've been...Very like places in Hawaii that I've

explored.... But its a long, hot, dry, 6 miles of majestic canyon to the first

water.

The water is turquoise because of the minerals present in it. There are 5 major

falls....Upper & Lower Navajo, Havasu, Mooney, & Beaver Falls.

They all have large and deep pools in front of them, and I've played & been

swimming in each......Theres a spot to climb through the falls to the top of Navajo.

The pools created by minerals are most spectacular at Havasu ( they look like &

are shaped like hot tubs. The campgrounds are just above Mooney, & I have

camped very near the edge.

The passage to the bottom of Mooney is down the almost verticle cliff face, through

a cave, very like the one on Tom Sawyers Island in Disneyland

The last one, Beaver, is a good trek further down the canyon but worth it, people

(not me) jump from the top of some of these falls :blink:

Here's a pic of Mooney...The camp grounds are in the trees at the top...The path

down is the cliff face on the right of the Falls.

FromAbove.jpg

Here's some good pics along the River

http://www.pbase.com/gschmickle/havasu_falls

Edited by cris
  • Upvote 1

The Rocky Mountains are my sweet spot. Been in the mountains over 21 years now and would be hard pressed to leave them. Like John Denver said in one of his most famous songs, " Rocky Mountain High" Oh yeah.

• Upvote 1

Did you actually go into Havasu Canyon?...If so, you were very close, at 5 miles

to where the river starts

FromAbove.jpg

http://www.pbase.com...le/havasu_falls

cris- I never got down to the area of the falls... I did the north rim of the canyon and like I said a 5 mile hike left me extremely soar and sick for several days. I was in the best shape of my life but had been training in San Antonio... a very low elevation spot... so the 8000+ feet on the north rim got the best of me I'm afraid. When we went around to the south rim I still wasn't feeling good enough to take that long hike, and quite frankly... I was nervous it would happen again if I attempted it. I am not familiar with how long it takes to adjust to elevation so I wasn't going to risk being stuck out on a long trek like that! I will definitely check into the helicopter ride though, if they are still doing it.... post RV I'm there!!!biggrin.gif

One cool thing I was told by a friend that works with the Navajo missions, he has been to the falls when the tribe baptizes the young ones. The elders will climb up the cliffs and oversee the baptismal as a way of supporting the commitments being made. I don't know, but that mental picture... in that location... just really sticks in my head as being pretty cool. wink.gif

Northwest Montana libby to be exact fishing on the.small mountain creeks sleeping under the big sky that's were I want to be

ayrnay22-I have never been... but wanna be as well... though the scenery alone would be enough to go my wife and I have been invited to an Amish community in Libby. The community builds log cabins all over the US but and we have got to know some of them. We want to not only go to enjoy the beautiful scenery, but build further relationship with these folks. My wife was raised Church of the Brethren (a distant cousin to the Amish) so it's something on her heart to do.... looking forward to it!

Well, as for me... I would agree with Rodandstaff and Cris... :)

Even though I like mountains but beaches win my heart :)

Seriously Nadita??? Why not do both!!! laugh.gif We plan on doing a short trip to the Smokies for an extended weekend immediately post RV... a little R&R and planning trip. Then when things like Trust's are in order and most of our ducks are in a row... the beach baby!!! cool.gif I hope to put my toes in the sand and snorkel for as long as I can stand it!!! Hopefully for two weeks or so... although we may have to move around a bit so we can take in more scenery!

The Rocky Mountains are my sweet spot. Been in the mountains over 21 years now and would be hard pressed to leave them. Like John Denver said in one of his most famous songs, " Rocky Mountain High" Oh yeah.

I love the Rockies... .but they are not very "user friendly" for hiking if your not used to the altitude... that's why we call the Blue Ridge Parkway "User Friendly Mountains"!!! rolleyes.gif

I am so glad I posed this question to you all. These are beautiful places to be. Unfortunately they are mostly places a person walking with a cane cannot go so I can only enjoy them vicariously through these photos and your comments. Keep them coming! I am enjoying very much! And I am sure everyone else is too!

smee2

• Upvote 1

I am so glad I posed this question to you all. These are beautiful places to be. Unfortunately they are mostly places a person walking with a cane cannot go so I can only enjoy them vicariously through these photos and your comments. Keep them coming! I am enjoying very much! And I am sure everyone else is too!

smee2

I found your solution smee....You may need to keep a spare though :D

cwln1544l.jpg

• Upvote 1

cris- I never got down to the area of the falls... I did the north rim of the canyon and like I said a 5 mile hike left me extremely soar and sick for several days. I was in the best shape of my life but had been training in San Antonio... a very low elevation spot... so the 8000+ feet on the north rim got the best of me I'm afraid. When we went around to the south rim I still wasn't feeling good enough to take that long hike, and quite frankly... I was nervous it would happen again if I attempted it. I am not familiar with how long it takes to adjust to elevation so I wasn't going to risk being stuck out on a long trek like that! I will definitely check into the helicopter ride though, if they are still doing it.... post RV I'm there!!!biggrin.gif

One cool thing I was told by a friend that works with the Navajo missions, he has been to the falls when the tribe baptizes the young ones. The elders will climb up the cliffs and oversee the baptismal as a way of supporting the commitments being made. I don't know, but that mental picture... in that location... just really sticks in my head as being pretty cool. wink.gif

ayrnay22-I have never been... but wanna be as well... though the scenery alone would be enough to go my wife and I have been invited to an Amish community in Libby. The community builds log cabins all over the US but and we have got to know some of them. We want to not only go to enjoy the beautiful scenery, but build further relationship with these folks. My wife was raised Church of the Brethren (a distant cousin to the Amish) so it's something on her heart to do.... looking forward to it!

Seriously Nadita??? Why not do both!!! laugh.gif We plan on doing a short trip to the Smokies for an extended weekend immediately post RV... a little R&R and planning trip. Then when things like Trust's are in order and most of our ducks are in a row... the beach baby!!! cool.gif I hope to put my toes in the sand and snorkel for as long as I can stand it!!! Hopefully for two weeks or so... although we may have to move around a bit so we can take in more scenery!

I love the Rockies... .but they are not very "user friendly" for hiking if your not used to the altitude... that's why we call the Blue Ridge Parkway "User Friendly Mountains"!!! rolleyes.gif

Okay Rod :)

You made my thinking going... so mountains...here I come.. lol lol I love the mountain too and the peaceful setting of it.. I guess the beach has sharks and the mountain has bears... either way we need to ditch them lol lol. When this rv happens, I am sure after the business is taken care of... LIFE = VACATION for me ;):)

• Upvote 1

I found your solution smee....You may need to keep a spare though :D

cwln1544l.jpg

I think cris just volunteered to be one of your... ahem... "wheels" smee!!! wink.gif emot-LMAO.gif

Dear... let me say it like this.. where there is a will... there is always a way!

A couple of my favorite "driving" scenic routes is "The Blue Ridge Parkway" ... America's longest National Park!!!

Link- http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

They have a lot of great overlooks where you can just get out of the car and soak it up. There are rest areas and pull offs... and they encourage you, if you find a spot to pull your car off the road, you can just spread a picnic blanket and have a nice lunch... your more than welcome to do it.

Here's another one I really loved during the fall color's... The Cherhala Skyway in NC to TN.

Link- http://www.cherohala.org/

See what I mean by a beautiful fall drive... biggrin.gif

pkmountain.jpg

smee2

Views from the Blue Ridge Parkway smee that "You my dear could see"!!!biggrin.gif

landtherewaslight.jpg

lboundless.jpg

This is the Linn Cove Viaduct - and engineering wonder, it was the last stretch finished to complete the parkway.

paullinncoveviaduct.jpg

Mabry Mill on the Parkway - one of several great stops along the route.

paulmabrymill.jpg

Hope that gets ya'll to thinking and dreaming, esp. you smee my dear!!! biggrin.gif

Thanks for starting this thread!!!wink.gif

Edited by RodandStaff