Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Swat the booty or not to swat the booty! That is the question!

gymrat76541

The NFL is being singled out, but the big question is: Do parents have the right to parent as they see fit?

I was spanked as a child (rightly so) & I continued that as a parent myself. There are those who believe that "time outs and conversation are the correct way to correct a child's behavior. I spanked my child in his younger years, disciplined by taking away things as he got older, and as he reached adulthood we sat and had conversations.

I have always respected other parents rights to parent as they saw fit & kept out of their business in dealing with their children. Many is the time when I felt that a child throwing themselves on the floor in a public place needed a swift & hard swat to correct the problem but I kept my mouth shut.

My father & mother just needed to fix us with "that look" or ask if we needed to go to the bathroom: my brothers & I quickly found our "quiet happy place" again. I do remember my mother stopping the car and getting a switch just once! After that time the mear threat was enough to correct our behavior in the car!

It makes me sad that some people do not understand that good discipline & effective paenting could help solve MANY of our current societies problems we face today! Out of control kids, disrespectful youngsters, and lack of good family structure (single parents without a father figure) are hurting the upcoming generations!

Perhaps we as a society would not be so quick to send these kids into the criminal jusice system if the problems could be corrected at home! I know as a child I would have rather had the police come & arrest me than to have my father come get me after I did something wrong.

Looking back, I am thankful for my father because I was one who needed the swat in the booty! ;)

• Upvote 4

When I was a kid and did something wrong, Ma would hand me a small pruner

and I knew... go out back and cut the switch I'm going to use on you. I would

start with a little one, but it sure hurt on bare legs.I never found one I could

recommend. In my teen age years, we had the dewkey. Dad fastened 9 raw-

hide layses to an old file handle.  He hung it Next to the back door. I never saw

it off the hook in 30 years, but it was the last thing  we kids saw on our way out the door.

• Upvote 3

Of course parents have a right to parent as they see fit. Just as they have a right not to vaccinate their children (nor do they need to JUSTIFY their decision with the State). The whole issue is the idea that people actually believe the State should be able to 'step in". Short of me hanging my child or seriously abusing them. the State has no business in inteferring with my raising my child.

For the record, I have NEVER spanked my child. I dont accept corporal punishment. i am the adult and must remain in control of my emotions at all times. I believe hitting teaches hitting as a way to solve problems. With that said, that is MY BELIEF ONLY and I would never apply my belief system on another. My father put 26-years in the US Marines and I learned very early to do as I was told immediately or face the "Wrath of Khan". My son is very well-behaved (and I get compliments from other parents all the time about his good behavior) and, I feel, I can explan morals/proper actions verse hitting him. I never miss an opportunity to explain things (right/wrong) to him.

Dunno, just saying..........Peace

• Upvote 2

IMO to swat is one thing but to break the skin of a 4 year old and then text to you wife "I got the little N in the nuts" is way too far.

What the heack can a 4 year old do to get that that as a discapline?

There was a time that people did beat their wife but it was not right then and not right now. And again IMO, to head but your wife and break her nose beat your 18 month old with a shoe is way over the top too to say the least.

• Upvote 2

There`s discipline then there`s abuse .

Anger can sometimes cause the line to be crossed.

I spanked my kids when they were little just as I was spanked.

Always with my hand and only on their bottoms and only when they placed themselves or another in physical danger.

(playing in the road. Not looking both ways, throwing rock at each other ect ect) 

Never in anger 

Breaking the skin on a 4 year old seems a little over the top to me.

• Upvote 1

Throwing rocks at each other is dangerous?? WTF? That would explain the big knot I still carry on my noggin. I thought it was from the birthing!! Back in the day, we'd play "dirt-clod" wars and get some good hits. No one ever complained about getting clocked and I never once saw a parent chasing after us to make us stop. Good ol "dirty fun". Ah, getting all teary-eyed....or maybe that's from remembering all the PAIN! Dunno, just saying.......

• Upvote 1

When I was a kid and did something wrong, Ma would hand me a small pruner

and I knew... go out back and cut the switch I'm going to use on you. I would

start with a little one, but it sure hurt on bare legs.I never found one I could

recommend. In my teen age years, we had the dewkey. Dad fastened 9 raw-

hide layses to an old file handle.  He hung it Next to the back door. I never saw

it off the hook in 30 years, but it was the last thing  we kids saw on our way out the door.

My 2 sisters & I had to do the same thing.

We had to go pick "the stick" My older sister would Always pick a twig (she was older)

I would pick the biggest branch that I could drag in (It's a guy thing)'

Now our younger sister would go get the "perfect swatting stick" (we still tease her about that)

By the time we were done getting "the sticks" (we did take our time) Dad had cooled off quite a bit.

Never once were we hurt, although we thought we were. Yes I did spank my kids (3 of them) 

Never left a mark on them. All 3 turned out great. Just part of growing up!

Physical & mental abuse is a whole other issue. Should be addressed & dealt with immediately

Help should be given, where it can, (to the givers & the takers). It is sad

it has been my contention that like most of you have already said there is a huge difference between discipline and abuse...the Bible says if you don't discipline you hate your child...in fact the 4 and 5 year old "monsters" who will kick, hit or curse their mothers in public (we ALL have seen them) will IMHO beat or even try to kill her when they are teenagers...there is a direct correlation and in my experience "reasoning" does not work with an raging child. Now as Dog said a "hand on the bottom" which God has conveniently "padded" will get their attention...and it works....far too many children now believe that they can simply call 911 when mom or day swats a behind...that is WRONG...PERIOD !! Contrary to what some believe...children do not belong to the "state" "foolishness is bound in the heart of a child, but the rod of correction will drive it far from him..." Pr 22:15