Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Stolen Nightingale leads to armed confrontation in southern Iraq

Stolen Nightingale leads to armed confrontation in southern Iraq

Azzaman, July 10, 2011

Iraqi tribesmen resorted to sticks, batons, knives, swords and even firearms over a stolen nightingale.

A tribesman had stolen the bird from another tribe, whose members rose as one man to fight for what they saw as the violation of their “tribal honor.”

Even the return of the nightingale is not expected to calm down the wrath of the tribe who lost it.

The fact that the bird was stolen is a serious matter in accordance with the traditional tribal ethics.

Azzaman reporter in the Province of Missan, of which the city of Amara is the capital, says the tribe which owned the nightingale has issued threats and a call to arms.

“It (the tribe) sees the theft as a flagrant violation of the its integrity and property,” said Azzaman’s Majid al-Baldawi in Amara.

Baldawi said other tribes were using their good offices to prevent the strife from turning into a bloody conflict. “If blood is shed, things may get out of control,” he added.

The chieftains of the feuding tribes were expected to meet to solve the issue, he said, adding that the bird must be returned and “a generous ransom” as part of any settlement.

Another tribal feud is continuing in the heart of Baghdad with at least seven people injured so far and four houses set ablaze.

Security forces were trying to bring the warring tribes to the negotiating table, a security source, refusing to be named, said.

Night skirmishes have been reported for the past few days in the neighborhood of Nuwab al-Dhubatt, south-east of the Iraqi capital, between the two tribes.

http://www.azzaman.com/english/index.asp?fname=news\2011-07-10\kurd.htm

K98, your subheading couldn't be closer to the truth in regards to rural Iraq. I mean, i can only guess. I try not to assume, so... yes, a guess it is.

Shucks. I was on to something there. Hell, i coulda perpetrated like i was some serious "boots on the ground" and start chumming the waters like some of the other low lifes that have graced this forum with their empty rhetoric. Oh well, everybody have a great week.

Edited by thatoneguy

I remember reading something like this many, many years ago. I think it may have been in the 1001 Nights ... or the Thousand Nights and One Night ... or sometimes known as the Arabian Tales, or Arabian Nights. Another example of not being able to stick to just one title even? Typical ME mentality? Anyway your subtitle does say it all ... good story too.

:)

smee2

These people have been left to live in the dark ages for so long it's rediculous. The sooner that the government starts to invest money into their countrys infrastructure the sooner they can bring their people into the 21st century by having contact with the outside world.