Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Formally requested al-Maliki form a new government.

VIZIOIRAQI

Jalal Talabani President, Iraq Parliament Says

BARBARA SURK and REBECCA SANTANA

11/11/10 06:47 PM

Iraqiya lawmakers have said that as part of the power-sharing deal, the other factions agreed to get rid of the controversial De-Baathification law entirely within two years. Sunnis view the De-Baathification process as a thinly veiled Shiite attempt to bar Sunnis from returning to power.

Despite the walkout – which Allawi joined – lawmakers proceeded with the session and elected Kurdish leader Jalal Talabani as president for a second term. Talabani addressed the lawmakers remaining in the parliament hall, declaring: "Today is a day of victory, the victory of the free Iraqi will."

He then formally requested al-Maliki form a new government. Al-Maliki has 30 days to do so, as the factions work out the allotment of ministry positions, including key posts like foreign affairs and the interior ministry in charge of security forces.

A Shiite lawmaker from al-Maliki's alliance said the walkout was a surprise and emphasizes the suspicions that still define relations between Shiites and Sunnis who used to fight out their political differences on the streets with guns. But with or without Iraqiya, the political process would go on, he said.

"We have a parliament, an elected president and a candidate to form a government. There is no way back," said Abdul-Hadi al-Hassani.

http://www.huffingto...-_n_782361.html

old article , but shows Talabani Formally requested Maliki to form gov with 30 days to do so

• Upvote 8

What is up with A/C stating that Talabani has to submit a formal letter to Maliki to form a govt?

According to A/C Talabani has not submitted the letter to Maliki as of yet.

This according to A/C the 30 days does not start until Maliki receives letter.

I believe this is horse hockey.

Allawi and the boys should as heck wouldn't be giving Maliki more time to stall and form the govt and I do not believe Maliki would risk not forming asap.

So why would A/C post this crap.

It is not logical for anyone to further delay the forming of the Iraqi govt, unless I am missing something huge?

Anyone care to comment?

AC just lost all credit as he stated that Maliki has not been givin the formal request when it clearly states it right there dated 11/11/10. AC do us a favor and stop posting your rediculous info, this isn't the first time you have been way off.

AC is a proven spoofer, and leads readers away from the truth. Every good article posted in the media, he will have a negative for. When one works in his favor he gloats. Shut him out and take his site out of your favorites. His only objective is confusion. Sorry, but thats the truth!!

Thanks Viz and Chief!

Having just finished reading the Iraq Constitution again, I can find nothing in it claiming appointment of the PM must be done in writing. It's possible I may have missed it somewhere, but I don't think so.

Here's the Article re the PM:

Article 76:

First: The President of the Republic shall charge the nominee of the largest

Council of Representatives bloc with the formation of the Council of Ministers

within fifteen days from the date of the election of the President of the Republic.

Second: The Prime Minister-designate shall undertake the naming of the members

of his Council of Ministers within a period not to exceed thirty days from the date

of his designation.

Third: If the Prime Minister-designate fails to form the Council of Ministers

during the period specified in clause “Second,” the President of the Republic shall

charge a new nominee for the post of Prime Minister within fifteen days.

Fourth: The Prime Minister-designate shall present the names of his members of

the Council of Ministers and the ministerial program to the Council of

Representatives. He is deemed to have gained its confidence upon the approval,

by an absolute majority of the Council of Representatives, of the individual

Ministers and the ministerial program.

Fifth: The President of the Republic shall charge another nominee to form the

Council of Ministers within fifteen days in case the Council of Ministers did not

win the vote of confidence.

It sure looks like the 30 days started counting as of Nov 11....

This month would be awesome!! GO RV!!!

http://www.uniraq.org/documents/iraqi_constitution.pdf

• Upvote 1

Well Talabani blurted it out Thursday and I believe that's why Allawi and his bloc walked out, as Maliki was not supposed to be announced until the others were completed, Deputies, Speaker etc. That had something to do with the disagreement from Iraqiya, or misunderstanding I should say. The internal workings are foggy at this point as they are worse then a hen house when it comes to their bickering. These are good times for Maliki, as I'm sure he'll expedite as fast as he can, that's my opinion. I mentioned the 15 days to zzzzzzzzz Friday as he contacted me about the conference call, and believe it or not it was mentioned on CNN International which has been covering the story daily from Baghdad (Mostly the Hajj Lately). I did the same thing as BlueOrchid919 (Thank you :)) and looked at the constitution, same thing that AC could have done but obviously did not.

There is so much pressure being exerted from all sides that the momentum is gonna keep their heads spinning for months after this. Last I read McCain and the other delegates aren't leaving until it's done? Heavy hitters from all sides, but I'm sure they're enjoying the festivities and Halal foods and some of the amazing sites that can be seen there.

Remember the article that came out just before the Eid started, Maliki stated that the seats he is responsible for will be filled very fast (Record Time Hopefully!), I have no doubt about this. Watch what they do....not what they say......keeping up with the articles you'll notice oil/gas contracts were signed, the budget is almost ready to be announced (Remember what Steve1 said...Budget first!) Other contracts being signed, and the Trade Agreement as well................hello? Lots of activity going on during the Eid.... ;)

I'm sure there are probably several members of the parliament that have taken this holiday to observe and participate in the Hajj, hell they can afford to this year, as I'm sure there are many older members who've already completed their required Hajj. They are only required to do it once in their life, not every year, so for those that have conducted their Hajj, I'm assuming they are hard at work doing what they can do to get things aligned for the return of the others from their observance of their Hajj/Holiday.

I'm not exactly sure how many seats Maliki has to fill, but I would venture to say he has the list of names in his jacket pocket ready to whip out and make the announcement. Information will be slow this week, that's a given, many need to understand that and just be patient, this is coming to an end, and we'll see our reward soon enough.

That's my opinion too! :)

V

• Upvote 2

Thanks BlueOrchid 919 for your research and Chief V for the follow-on. Great information. I understand that this is a process and things must be completed in order... just wish my reserve were not due until next week instead of this week :( If the RV doesn't happen quickly I'm sure I will figure out a way to handle it and definitely am appreciative of the person who told me about it and feel blessed to be a part of this :)