Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Sunni-backed party will stay in Iraq gov't

legacyman73

Reuters November 14, 2010 3:55 AM

Iraq's Sunni-backed Iraqiya bloc told parliament on Saturday it would remain in a Shi'ite-led government, despite a walkout and angry comments from its leader that threatened to damage the long-sought accord.

Iraqiya's leader, former prime minister Iyad Allawi, skipped the parliamentary session and headed to London for family engagements after telling CNN power-sharing between Iraq's Shiite, Kurdish and Sunni factions was "dead."

Allawi and most of Iraqiya's lawmakers walked out of parliament on Thursday in a protest that showed the fragility of a deal reached this week between the fractious political blocs to give Shiite Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki a second term.

That agreement ended an eight-month impasse after an inconclusive March 7 election in which Allawi's cross-sectarian alliance, supported heavily by minority Sunnis, won two more seats than Maliki's mainly Shiite bloc but no majority.

"There was a misunderstanding that happened between the political blocs," Iraqiya spokesman Haidar al-Mullah told a session of parliament on Saturday. "All blocs are going ahead in executing all the agreements. We confirm that Iraqiya will be part of a national partnership government."

The announcement eased concerns that the deal -- reached after months of rancorous bargaining which had heightened fears of renewed sectarian violence -- might fall apart, but left Allawi's position unclear.

"We think the concept of power-sharing is dead now," Allawi told CNN. "It's finished."

Asked how the end of a power-sharing deal might affect a future government, he said: "For Iraq, there will be tensions and violence, probably."

Iraq needs a stable government to rebuild infrastructure and exploit its vast oil wealth as violence ebbs, seven years after the U.S.-led invasion

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Sunni+backed+party+will+stay+Iraq/3825962/story.html#ixzz15GnxTpWO

• Upvote 1

I hope Allawi keeps his word..........but in the last year we or most of us on these dinar sites were all behind him to take over and get rid of Maliki.....at this point I'm for the leader that helps get this RV done.......Maliki will have to do better than he has in the last few years because he and his followers have been nothing but thieves.....I am hopeful the US has let him know we will not tolerate business as usual.....

I hope Allawi keeps his word..........but in the last year we or most of us on these dinar sites were all behind him to take over and get rid of Maliki.....at this point I'm for the leader that helps get this RV done.......Maliki will have to do better than he has in the last few years because he and his followers have been nothing but thieves.....I am hopeful the US has let him know we will not tolerate business as usual.....

You are right.Maliki is as crooked as a snake.I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw a train.At this point I'd just like to see the Rv happpen.Allawi will be the ballance point needed to keep Maliki honest.

Semper Fi !!!

I hope Allawi stops playing his stupid little games and get with the program so we can get this GOI stuff done.Thanks for the post.

Semper Fi !!!

You just want a PAYDAY -- sorry Allawi is slowing that down -- so you're pissed that Allawi won't take Malikis' lies and excuses -- Maliki is a liar -- Allawi is the BETTER man for the job PERIOD !!!

Edited by EBJNYC