Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Tax treatment for dinar trades

WantsToRetire

I've been reading the posts describing how the IRS will treat our returns. And doing a little online research to verify. I found this video from March of 2010. The information in this video states that gains from trading currency that has been PHYSICALLY HELD will be taxed at ordinary rates. In fact, Robert Green says, we will be "trapped" in ordinary gain or loss rates. We will be unable to use the 60-40 rule that's been mentioned by one of our posters. He also states that there is confusion among accountants with regard to this issue. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks.

http://www.moneyshow.com/video/video.asp?wid=4826&t=3&scode=013790%20

• Upvote 3

I've been reading the posts describing how the IRS will treat our returns. And doing a little online research to verify. I found this video from March of 2010. The information in this video states that gains from trading currency that has been PHYSICALLY HELD will be taxed at ordinary rates. In fact, Robert Green says, we will be "trapped" in ordinary gain or loss rates. We will be unable to use the 60-40 rule that's been mentioned by one of our posters. He also states that there is confusion among accountants with regard to this issue. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks.

http://www.moneyshow.com/video/video.asp?wid=4826&t=3&scode=013790%20

I asked my CPA for clarity on this issue, explaining exactly when and how I had purchased dinar. He stated that gains on currency would be treated exactly like gains on securities; that is, long-term and short-term for gains realized on currency held for more or less that one-year respectively.

• Downvote 1