Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraqi News Iraq asks UNSC to extend DFI/IAMB

wusObie

Iraq urges UNSC to extend DFI, IAMB mandates for one more year

Politics 12/17/2009 12:05:00 AM

UNITED NATIONS, Dec 16 (KUNA) -- Iraq urged the Security Council to extend until December 31st, 2010 arrangements to deposit proceeds from oil and gas sales into the Development Fund for Iraq (DFI), and to supervise it during the same period by the International Advisory and Monitoring Board (IAMB), with the possibility of reviewing those arrangements, at the request of Baghdad, before mid-June 2010.

The council is scheduled to discuss a draft resolution, under chapter VII, on this issue tomorrow Thursday. A vote is scheduled for next Monday.

In a letter to the Security Council President, Burkina Faso, circulated today, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Al-Maliki vowed that the government will in 2010 make "appropriate arrangement" for the Fund and the Board with a view to "ensuring that oil revenue continues to be used fairly and in the interest of the Iraqi people," in conformity with the Constitution and with the international "best practices with respect to transparency, accountability and integrity." That, he argued, "cannot be achieved without the continued assistance of the international community by means of the adoption of a Security Council resolution whereby the conditions and arrangements provided for in resolution 1859 of last year are extended." Expressing his government's commitment to finding a satisfactory solution to the problem of the debts and claims that it inherited from the previous regime, Al-Maliki recalled that during 2009, the government made "great progress" in settling many debts and claims, including by concluding agreements on the reduction of sovereign debt and other bilateral agreements concerning certain claims.

Asked whether Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari is coming to New York to attend the vote in the council on Monday, Iraqi Ambassador to the UN Hamid Al-Bayati told KUNA in an interview that Zebari came in the past because the extension of those mandates "required a lot of discussions in the council. But this year, it is different. No discussions are needed. It will be a mere extension of the mandates." He did not rule out that he would come anyway. Asked whether the terrorist attacks that hit Baghdad last August, October and December will also be on his schedule, Al-Bayati said once in New York, Zibari will discuss all issues relating to Iraq.

He expressed hope that the UN will exert more effort and take further measures to deal with these attacks, recalling that the first step was when Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon dispatched his Assistant for Political Affairs Oscar Fernandez-Taranco for preliminary talks in Baghdad.

"Unfortunately, the attacks continued after he came back and briefed the Secretary-General. Our hope is that the UN takes other steps towards helping Iraq," he said.

Asked what kind of measures he had in mind, Al-Bayati said "the UN and the Secretay-General can do a lot of things, such as setting up an investigation commission to look into the evidence gathered by Iraq," recalling the commissions the UN set up for the massacres in Guinea earlier this year and those to investigate the assassinations of former Lebanese and Pakistani Prime Ministers Rafiq Hariri and Benazir Bhutto.

"The bloodshed is unacceptable and has to stop. The Iraqi Government has the responsibility to protect its people and prevent such attacks. We feel that the UN has to do something," he said.

Once the commission finds out who the perpetrators are, the Security Council can set up a tribunal to try them, he said. (end) sj.bs KUNA 170005 Dec 09NNNN

Ar Dep

All KUNA right are reserved

I went on the kuna site and could not find the article.

I tried to copy and paste the link and was unsuccessful. Am not very good with computers. But, I found this info with the link on investorsiraq.com.

I sure hope you can come up with a positive spin on this because I'm bummed out.

Has anyone met of heard of a more screwed up group of morons in their life or what? I truely believe now that Al Maliki is a true Iranian on a mission to torpedo Iraq's success. He needs to be the victim of a very skilled sharp-shooter to end his reign of stupidity.

In my opinion...Iraq cannot or will RV until they are either out of Chapter 7 or about the get out of chapter 7 and it's resolutions. Today, he asked for a year extension to one of the resolutions (1859) therefore an extension under chapter 7 for another year. What I make of this is they will not make any moves regarding a RV for a while. At least 6 months. My opinion and to the best of my ability. It though is only my opinion and I ask for others to give theres.

This only refers to resolution 1859, you can lift ch7 and still extend a resolution

My understanding is chapter 7 is, in essence, an umbrella. These resolutions are within. Until Iraq clears the need for these, these will remain under the umbrella. They asked today for an specific extension to one of these..1859 so they will remain. Again, my opinion. So no RV appears in the near future. Keep in mind...this is not official! They must vote on Monday and many countries may say no. Time to be a big boy. Which in turn may mandate a RV to survive.

Edited by kaperoni

Ok, this is my attempt for a positive spin:

I am hoping Maliki's approach is like Morgan Freeman's character in Shawshank Redemption. Whenever he went to the parole board and asked for freedom, the board said no. When he finally said I won't be asking for mercy, they gave him his freedom. Maybe (hopefully) Maliki is using reverse psychology, i.e. the Morgan Freeman approach.

I think Kuwait is pushing for Ch. 7 to end so that they can get their funds. Am hoping UNSC denies the request for extension.

Ok, this is my attempt for a positive spin:

I am hoping Maliki's approach is like Morgan Freeman's character in Shawshank Redemption. Whenever he went to the parole board and asked for freedom, the board said no. When he finally said I won't be asking for mercy, they gave him his freedom. Maybe (hopefully) Maliki is using reverse psychology, i.e. the Morgan Freeman approach.

I think Kuwait is pushing for Ch. 7 to end so that they can get their funds. Am hoping UNSC denies the request for extension.

Lets hope so!

My last spin on this..

Folks put your dinar away till Monday...come back and see if they got there wish. If so, spend the winter months doing something else. Make your life as good as you under whatever circumstances you may be in. Come summer, take another look at the situation. If they get denied, expect a RV very shortly. :) They will need to start paying there own way.

One thing for sure, do not follow the crap that keeps coming up everyday. This is a factual event though subject to interpretation which is a healthy discussion with we all can learn from that! There is nothing factual to.."a friend told me it would", or "the boss's daughter said get ready", or "I heard from my brother..."