Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Ron Paul: 'Our Constitution Has Failed'

Alexyn1006

http://news.yahoo.com/ron-paul-departs-constitution-failed-230217615--abc-news-politics.html

Ron Paul: 'Our Constitution Has Failed'

By Chris Good | ABC OTUS News – 5 hrs ago

• gty_ron_paul_convention_ll_120828_wmain.jpgEnlarge Photo ABC OTUS News - Ron Paul: 'Our Constitution Has Failed' (ABC News)

Rep. Ron Paul, the iconic libertarian congressman from Texas, has delivered what will most likely be his final address to Congress.

In a sprawling, 52-minute speech to the House chamber, Paul lambasted U.S. government, politicians and special interests, declaring that the U.S. people must return to virtue before the government allows them to be free, and that the Constitution has failed to limit the scope of an authoritarian bureaucracy.

"Our Constitution, which was intended to limit government power and abuse, has failed," Paul said. "The Founders warned that a free society depends on a virtuous and moral people. The current crisis reflects that their concerns were justified."

For the retiring Republican, 77, the "current crisis" isn't quite what it is for other members of Congress, who routinely use that word to describe the economic recession that followed the 2008 financial crash. To the Texas Republican, that's part of it, but the causes are deeper, and it's also a crisis of governmental authoritarianism and the vanishing of personal liberty.

"If it's not accepted that big government, fiat money, ignoring liberty, central economic planning, welfarism, and warfarism caused our crisis, we can expect a continuous and dangerous march toward corporatism and even fascism with even more loss of our liberties," said Paul, an obstetrician-gynecologist by training.

The problem isn't just government's size, but its use of force, both in starting preemptive wars and as it coerces U.S. citizens with police power. To Paul, this is the fault of Americans who no longer prioritize liberty, and it will lead to the unraveling of orderly society unless people change.

"Restraining aggressive behavior is one thing, but legalizing a government monopoly for initiating aggression can only lead to exhausting liberty associated with chaos, anger and the breakdown of civil society," Paul said. "We now have a standing army of armed bureaucrats in the TSA, CIA, FBI, Fish and Wildlife, FEMA, IRS, Corp of Engineers, etc., numbering over 100,000 civil society."

More than coercive, to Paul the government is also corrupt: "All branches of our government today are controlled by individuals who use their power to undermine liberty and enhance the welfare/warfare state-and frequently their own wealth and power," he said.

Throughout his speech, Paul questioned not only the fundamental health of America's social compact, but specifics like fiat money, the power of the Federal Reserve, the PATRIOT Act, Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act modifications, undeclared war, the illegalization of medical marijuana, mandatory sentencing requirements for drug crimes, the illegalization of hemp, TSA searches, federal debt and borrowing, the White House's authority to assassinate those it declares terrorists, the legalization of detaining U.S. citizens for national-security purposes, the political power of AIPAC, and the regulation of light bulbs and toilets in people's homes.

For Paul, the list of grievances is long, and he might not have accomplished much in Congress: "In many ways, according to conventional wisdom, my off-and-on career in Congress, from 1976 to 2012, accomplished very little," he said. "No named legislation, no named federal buildings or highways, thank goodness. In spite of my efforts, the government has grown exponentially, taxes remain excessive, and the prolific increase of incomprehensible regulations continues. Wars are constant and pursued without congressional declaration."

In thinking about the champions of liberty, his lesson is a bitter one: "History has shown that the masses have been quite receptive to the promises of authoritarians which are rarely if ever fulfilled," but his prescription is hopeful.

Paul left the podium, for the last time, offering an "answer" to all of these problems: that people should choose liberty and limit government, and seek change within themselves.

"The number one responsibility for each of us is to change ourselves with hope that others will follow," Paul said, urging an end to two motives that have hindered U.S. society: envy and intolerance.

"I have come to one firm conviction after these many years of trying to figure out the plain truth of things. The best chance for achieving peace and prosperity, for the maximum number of people worldwide, is to pursue the cause of liberty. If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land."

• Upvote 5

Uhhhhh...nope...I was pro Paul before the election. I'm an independent and cast my vote for who I felt was the better of the two candidates on offer.

Sorry, what I mean to say was; Nope....wrong again wrongsonword....I was pro Paul before the election and definitely voted for the better of the two men running for president at election time.

Edited by Alexyn1006
  • Upvote 5

So now that Willard is gone, all the Willard backers suddenyl love ron paul?

Lmao...I stopped reading when I got to the kooky part

Im sure most in Congress stopped listening at the same point....

Paul has no sense of delivery, He does'nt understand how to persuade

anyone that we need to get back to the Constitution.

Its no wonder he was such a poor Representative.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Apparently not as poor as Romney. He couldn't persuade America they needed him. :D :D :D

Edited by rightsonword
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

I agree, his delivery is not so great (he definitely wouldn't make a good used car salesman), but many of his ideas were powerful and practical. I think he is a man of integrity, tenacity, zeal and many, many wonderful qualities that would have made him a great president. There were several very good presidents who weren't great at public speaking.

• Upvote 4

Apparently not as poor as Romney. He couldn't persuade America they needed him. :D :D :D

oh really?...A fair Election would have Romney as President

But, like Paul supporters, Liberals cheat.....They've gotten away with it...so far

With Voter ID, we would have a different outcome.

Edited by cris
  • Upvote 6

I agree, his delivery is not so great (he definitely wouldn't make a good used car salesman), but many of his ideas were powerful and practical. I think he is a man of integrity, tenacity, zeal and many, many wonderful qualities that would have made him a great president. There were several very good presidents who weren't great at public speaking.

His delivery is exceptional. The reason people find fault with it is because he doesn't speak like a politician. He doesn't beat around the bush and is not politically correct. He says the truth and if people are too sensitive to accept it and disregard what he says simply becauase they don't like his delivery, well, that just shows those people have some character flaw. Truth is truth no matter how it is said.

But, like Paul supporters, Liberals cheat.....They've gotten away with it...so far

cue the tin foil hat!

tinfoil-hat.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

As you can tell, I dont like Paul at all

I've read enough about his past, and witnessing his ardent

supporters smeared his whole campaign....

Also, you'd think after decades he could get some support from

his colleagues.....Its not only his delivery, but the message as a

whole....Too many kooky things in there that could never get

the People of this Country behind him....And then the continuous

tearing down of the actual Republican Candidate....Using the tools

and propaganda provided by the Libs....disgusting

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

His delivery is exceptional. The reason people find fault with it is because he doesn't speak like a politician. He doesn't beat around the bush and is not politically correct. He says the truth and if people are too sensitive to accept it and disregard what he says simply becauase they don't like his delivery, well, that just shows those people have some character flaw. Truth is truth no matter how it is said.

Paul is a 60's propagandist....Plain and simple

You know what? I disagree with you on just about everything, but I at least respect you for not liking Ron Paul and voting accordingly. Unlike so many others who claim they were all for Ron Paul, yet didn't vote for him.

Well good...Maybe we should leave it there

With a little mutual respect.

WE HAD TO HAVE TWO ID'S HERE IN PHOENIX

RECOUNT FOR OHIO & PA MAYBE MIGHT HAVE DONE IT???

Edited by DumNDumer

Just got through reading an article where at the Republican Governors meeting they say Romney lost this election .

They say Romney did not respond forcibly enough to Obama's attacks was not specific enough with his plans for the American

people. Then they go on to say they must learn from the mistakes of this last election or they will be doomed to repeat failure.

Sounds like they might have learned something don't it. ( Well they didn't learn squat )

and they will continue to lose. Because like the post's here you and the GOP are in denial.

The reason they lost and will continue to lose is as plain and as easy to spot as looking in a mirror

It's called lack of respect

They refused to show any respect to Ron Paul or his supporters from the very beginning of this election cycle

to the end of the primaries they showed utter disrespect for Ron Paul .

By refusing to acknowledge he even existed let alone making gains in the polls they disrespected Ron Paul

and all his supporters.

Then at the end of primaries when they announced all future grass roots would be banned

It was at that very moment they lost the election. ( you don't get respect if you refuse to give respect )

And now you and the GOP are running around looking for the dragon who cost you the election to slay.

So ignorant and full of yourselves you fail to see that the dragon you slew during the primaries ( Respect )

Cost you this election and will cost you in future elections

Ain't life a B****

No Surrender No Retreat and No Compromise

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just got through reading an article where at the Republican Governors meeting they say Romney lost this election .

They say Romney did not respond forcibly enough to Obama's attacks was not specific enough with his plans for the American

people. Then they go on to say they must learn from the mistakes of this last election or they will be doomed to repeat failure.

Sounds like they might have learned something don't it. ( Well they didn't learn squat )

and they will continue to lose. Because like the post's here you and the GOP are in denial.

The reason they lost and will continue to lose is as plain and as easy to spot as looking in a mirror

It's called lack of respect

They refused to show any respect to Ron Paul or his supporters from the very beginning of this election cycle

to the end of the primaries they showed utter disrespect for Ron Paul .

By refusing to acknowledge he even existed let alone making gains in the polls they disrespected Ron Paul

and all his supporters.

Then at the end of primaries when they announced all future grass roots would be banned

It was at that very moment they lost the election. ( you don't get respect if you refuse to give respect )

And now you and the GOP are running around looking for the dragon who cost you the election to slay.

So ignorant and full of yourselves you fail to see that the dragon you slew during the primaries ( Respect )

Cost you this election and will cost you in future elections

Ain't life a B****

No Surrender No Retreat and No Compromise

You are 100% correct. There were even democrats who would have voted for Ron Paul over Obama because the one thing everyone in America wants is liberty and personal freedoms.

if the GOP doesn't change, it will face extinction soon.

• Upvote 2

You are 100% correct. There were even democrats who would have voted for Ron Paul over Obama because the one thing everyone in America wants is liberty and personal freedoms.

if the GOP doesn't change, it will face extinction soon.

Paul would have taken this election in a landslide, GOP didn't support him because he wouldn't tow their corrupt party line.

As for extinction... I heard Barbara Bush ripped the string of pearls right off her pretty kneck in discust for what the GOP has become. biggrin.gif

• Upvote 1

Paul would have taken this election in a landslide, GOP didn't support him because he wouldn't tow their corrupt party line.

As for extinction... I heard Barbara Bush ripped the string of pearls right off her pretty kneck in discust for what the GOP has become. biggrin.gif

I'll make sure to cry a river for her. :lol:

Anyone remember this beautiful gem of a quote from her?

While visiting a Houston relief center for people displaced by Hurricane Katrina, Bush told the radio program Marketplace,

"Almost everyone I've talked to says, 'We're gonna move to Houston.' What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas... Everybody is so overwhelmed by the hospitality, and so many of the people in the arenas here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this (as she chuckles slightly) is working very well for them."

2025344560082084340S500x500Q85.jpg

Edited by rightsonword
  • Upvote 1