Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

the boys in the hood know this trick‏

moose 57

Any piece of ceramic works tile spark plug coffee mug but it has to have an edge on it and a hammer or rock breaks the glass were the spark plug shatters it every time and usually makes very little noise

Every car or truck window I've ever busted has shattered. Whether it be rock, foot, hand, bat, or someones head they all shattered. The only ones that don't make a mess are the front windshield due to the safety shield. Oh, and the harder you throw the rock the less noise it makes.

Why if you have a hammer would you need a spark plug? And why not use a rock? They are readily available, and you don't have to break them first. I guess I don't get it. :huh:

Hammer won't work. Rock won't work. Steel pipe won't work. Baseball bat won't work. Remember, the goal is to fracture, not just shatter, the glass so that a person can get inside.

I have not even watched the video and I can answer your question. Years ago ... like forty or more, automobile windshield glass was "reinvented" in such a way that it had a lot of the properties of the heat, shatter and impact resistance of the tiles used on space craft like the orbiter, the shuttle, and other satellite bits and pieces. It came as an outgrowth of the process by which the shuttle tiles were produced. Automotive companies were not the instigators of this new growth in technology into the pre- and after- market auto parts sales, but as a result of research by automobile insurance companies. They calculated that the first thing to be enhanced, "reinvented" if you like, made safer, for all automibiles which included cars, trucks, jeeps, anything on wheels and licenced and insured, and would save the most dollars, would be the window glass. And again it wasn't that the window glass was so expensive to replace; if it were just replacement cost they would have left that improvement area until about last. It was the fact that harder, safer, more shatterproof glass would save lives. And the insurance companies were not trying to save the money on glass ... it could be replaced for almost nothing by dealing with major glass manufacturers. But life could not be so easily replaced, and therefore the cost associated with death in a car was the cost that had to be cut down. And it was the current state of window glass, being as unsafe as it was, that made that cost a real killer ..., pun intended.

So, all those years ago, when the insurance industry was playing with numbers and early coputers, and most likely the odd abacus or two, the answer they gave to the head office about how to save the most in insurance payouts, came to saving lives, and meant making auto glass safer. Period.

Now there are a lot of interesting offshoots here, but I will spare you and not digress further than I already have from the primary focus of this post.

There is a saying that a lock will only stop an honest person. It sort of fits with several asyings about whtaever is invented will be out-invented almost as fast. Before long the insurance companies started their laboratory research into supplying clear, see-through, auto window glass, using a technology that produced the same efficacy in an opaque tile, Same technology but resulting in a clear product. Great, right? A major swing to safer cars and fewer life claim payouts for insurance companies.

Before the piles of photocopier sheets describing and touting the new process was even cooled down, the major opponent to this "reinvented" auto glass was hard at work figuring out a way to circumvent the invention. And who was the opponent? Criminals.

Yup, Criminals were the major opponent to this move. Why? Because they wanted to be able to break auto window glass as easily as before and this shatterproof, harder and far more tempered glass was just becoming a real bummer for the everyday criminal. Think about it. Smash and grab something on the front seat, or even back seat, or smash and pull the electrical leads and take off with the vehicle. All sorts of good criminal payoff just by learning to break the window as quietly as possible and then steal the car, or from within the car.

So, how does this system of theft work if you have auto window glass that won't even break with a hammer? And bear in mind it isn't easy to carry a hammer around either. Might become fairly obvious that you were out to smash a window? But take a hammer and give a modern windshield a whack and all you get is a spiderweb of shattering marks. Two layers of glass bonded to a tempered adhesive layer keeps the glass from breaking into a lot of small and deadly pieces. In the normal course of affairs, a regular driver, having a regular accident, what used to be death by window glass becomes a week in hospital, nothing more. Great save for the insurance company. But we are back again to the criminal element who are then missing out on their portion of the GNP.

So, to shorten the story a little more, it was actually a police team who came up with the answer to how to bread the glass in an automotive without having to carry about a twenty pound sledge. This was actually a matter of intuitive advance design. They figured out that some criminal element would find a way ... they always do ... to circumvent some legal step, and considering the safer glass as a legal step, some criminal would find a way to get around it. There were certain things that were a given. It had to be something small, and not as unwieldy or obvious as a sledge hammer. It had to be something common so that even the small time hoods, right down to kids on their first two-wheeler, could afford and transport said glass breaker. They tried freezing, fire, electric shock, biochemical reaction, biological bacterial application ... almost everything they could think of that would be small, would not stand out even in a search of pocket lint, and would do the job anywhere in the world because it should be available anywhere in the world.

The story goes, and I have absolutely no faith in this story, but the story goes that one of the police researchers who had this puzzle dumped onto his desk was having a bad Saturday trying to change the spark plugs in his car. He was known to be a rather cheap person, and was using less than the best qualitly spark plugs. At some point he dropped one of them and it hit the concrete driveway in just the right way that the porcelain part of it shattered. He picked up the pieces and turned them over in his hands and cursed his bad luck that the most unbreakable part of a spark plug, the part that is heat tempered, shatter resistant, measures harder than granite ... all that good stuff, turned out to be the part that broke. Great.

He turned away from his car with the hood still up and was about to wipe his hands on a grease rag so he could go into town and purchase another spark plug. Before wiping his hands he tossed the bits of spark plug over his shoulder, perhaps a little harder than he actually meant to. He did not hear it hit the windshield. All he heard was the windshield shattering. He turned to look and what should he see? His windshield was shattered. Now, you have to wonder just what went through his mind. He carried on, went into town, bought another spark plug, and drove to work on Monday morning with his windshield shattered and broken through. Considering the work they were doing on how to get a windshield to shatter without a sledge hammer and all that, he took quite a bit of teasing.It wasn't until the secretary, a woman who worked for the sector chief, and who was not a police officer but knew what they were working on, made the comment that it seems they had found the answer to their puzzle, and walked away, that suddenly there was a roomful of supposedly smart cops looking at each other and then racing down to see just how fractured the glass was. And that is how it became known that the ceramic of a spark plug, as well as the same material on some other small electrical parts, would break the super-duper window glass in modern day automobiles.

Now, if I were to go back and watch the video, I would bet it is just someone tossing a piece of spark plug porcelain at the window of an automobile. And anyone who didn't know this, has been a driver ... heck, make that has been alive, a far shorter than the time I have been a driver! That makes me old, but it also makes me educated in more of the ways of the world ... in this case the boys in the hood I guess ... hahahahaha

:)

smee2

• Upvote 1

Hammer won't work. Rock won't work. Steel pipe won't work. Baseball bat won't work. Remember, the goal is to fracture, not just shatter, the glass so that a person can get inside.

I have not even watched the video and I can answer your question. Years ago ... like forty or more, automobile windshield glass was "reinvented" in such a way that it had a lot of the properties of the heat, shatter and impact resistance of the tiles used on space craft like the orbiter, the shuttle, and other satellite bits and pieces. It came as an outgrowth of the process by which the shuttle tiles were produced. Automotive companies were not the instigators of this new growth in technology into the pre- and after- market auto parts sales, but as a result of research by automobile insurance companies. They calculated that the first thing to be enhanced, "reinvented" if you like, made safer, for all automibiles which included cars, trucks, jeeps, anything on wheels and licenced and insured, and would save the most dollars, would be the window glass. And again it wasn't that the window glass was so expensive to replace; if it were just replacement cost they would have left that improvement area until about last. It was the fact that harder, safer, more shatterproof glass would save lives. And the insurance companies were not trying to save the money on glass ... it could be replaced for almost nothing by dealing with major glass manufacturers. But life could not be so easily replaced, and therefore the cost associated with death in a car was the cost that had to be cut down. And it was the current state of window glass, being as unsafe as it was, that made that cost a real killer ..., pun intended.

So, all those years ago, when the insurance industry was playing with numbers and early coputers, and most likely the odd abacus or two, the answer they gave to the head office about how to save the most in insurance payouts, came to saving lives, and meant making auto glass safer. Period.

Now there are a lot of interesting offshoots here, but I will spare you and not digress further than I already have from the primary focus of this post.

There is a saying that a lock will only stop an honest person. It sort of fits with several asyings about whtaever is invented will be out-invented almost as fast. Before long the insurance companies started their laboratory research into supplying clear, see-through, auto window glass, using a technology that produced the same efficacy in an opaque tile, Same technology but resulting in a clear product. Great, right? A major swing to safer cars and fewer life claim payouts for insurance companies.

Before the piles of photocopier sheets describing and touting the new process was even cooled down, the major opponent to this "reinvented" auto glass was hard at work figuring out a way to circumvent the invention. And who was the opponent? Criminals.

Yup, Criminals were the major opponent to this move. Why? Because they wanted to be able to break auto window glass as easily as before and this shatterproof, harder and far more tempered glass was just becoming a real bummer for the everyday criminal. Think about it. Smash and grab something on the front seat, or even back seat, or smash and pull the electrical leads and take off with the vehicle. All sorts of good criminal payoff just by learning to break the window as quietly as possible and then steal the car, or from within the car.

So, how does this system of theft work if you have auto window glass that won't even break with a hammer? And bear in mind it isn't easy to carry a hammer around either. Might become fairly obvious that you were out to smash a window? But take a hammer and give a modern windshield a whack and all you get is a spiderweb of shattering marks. Two layers of glass bonded to a tempered adhesive layer keeps the glass from breaking into a lot of small and deadly pieces. In the normal course of affairs, a regular driver, having a regular accident, what used to be death by window glass becomes a week in hospital, nothing more. Great save for the insurance company. But we are back again to the criminal element who are then missing out on their portion of the GNP.

So, to shorten the story a little more, it was actually a police team who came up with the answer to how to bread the glass in an automotive without having to carry about a twenty pound sledge. This was actually a matter of intuitive advance design. They figured out that some criminal element would find a way ... they always do ... to circumvent some legal step, and considering the safer glass as a legal step, some criminal would find a way to get around it. There were certain things that were a given. It had to be something small, and not as unwieldy or obvious as a sledge hammer. It had to be something common so that even the small time hoods, right down to kids on their first two-wheeler, could afford and transport said glass breaker. They tried freezing, fire, electric shock, biochemical reaction, biological bacterial application ... almost everything they could think of that would be small, would not stand out even in a search of pocket lint, and would do the job anywhere in the world because it should be available anywhere in the world.

The story goes, and I have absolutely no faith in this story, but the story goes that one of the police researchers who had this puzzle dumped onto his desk was having a bad Saturday trying to change the spark plugs in his car. He was known to be a rather cheap person, and was using less than the best qualitly spark plugs. At some point he dropped one of them and it hit the concrete driveway in just the right way that the porcelain part of it shattered. He picked up the pieces and turned them over in his hands and cursed his bad luck that the most unbreakable part of a spark plug, the part that is heat tempered, shatter resistant, measures harder than granite ... all that good stuff, turned out to be the part that broke. Great.

He turned away from his car with the hood still up and was about to wipe his hands on a grease rag so he could go into town and purchase another spark plug. Before wiping his hands he tossed the bits of spark plug over his shoulder, perhaps a little harder than he actually meant to. He did not hear it hit the windshield. All he heard was the windshield shattering. He turned to look and what should he see? His windshield was shattered. Now, you have to wonder just what went through his mind. He carried on, went into town, bought another spark plug, and drove to work on Monday morning with his windshield shattered and broken through. Considering the work they were doing on how to get a windshield to shatter without a sledge hammer and all that, he took quite a bit of teasing.It wasn't until the secretary, a woman who worked for the sector chief, and who was not a police officer but knew what they were working on, made the comment that it seems they had found the answer to their puzzle, and walked away, that suddenly there was a roomful of supposedly smart cops looking at each other and then racing down to see just how fractured the glass was. And that is how it became known that the ceramic of a spark plug, as well as the same material on some other small electrical parts, would break the super-duper window glass in modern day automobiles.

Now, if I were to go back and watch the video, I would bet it is just someone tossing a piece of spark plug porcelain at the window of an automobile. And anyone who didn't know this, has been a driver ... heck, make that has been alive, a far shorter than the time I have been a driver! That makes me old, but it also makes me educated in more of the ways of the world ... in this case the boys in the hood I guess ... hahahahaha

:)

smee2

Nice post.