Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Last Cig......

bodeen

I grew up in a house full of smokers. I never had the urge but here I am, lo these many years later, and I am the one that has the asthma, COPD, have to sleep with oxygen and a C-PAP machine strapped onto my head and entire face like that monster in the first Aliens movie. I watched my dad quit cold turkey and my mom lie about having quit for years, even though you could smell it on her so strongly. My brother and sister, old folks like me now, are still saying they will quit when ... and insert whatever upcoming event will be the honored quit time.

Part of me wishes now that I had at least learned to smoke. Then I could try pot to ease the pain I have, which the doctor would prescribe for me ... medical marijuana ... but I can't seem to get the hang of it and the asthma starts up when I try.

I am so proud of both of you ... saying you will quit right out here in the middle of a bunch of people you respect and who have come to respect you. It won't be easy. But hey, if it comes to having someone to "chat" with to keep your mind occupied I think you will find that day or night, if you let everyone know, there will be someone here who will keep your hands busy on the keyboard so you won't be able to roll your own (which is the way to be, absolutely no, repeat NO, pre-built cancer canons in the house).

You will find so much changes. My dad said food tasted better and things smelled good again,, not just the strong smells, but after quitting he could enjoy the gentle smells again. Eventually he found he had more energy,slept better, was saving a lot of money, found other people's habit disturbing, and was elated when his xrays came back clear after about seven years.

When my husband quit, cold turkey, the office we both worked in went through about six weeks of terror. He might have been short but man was he feisty, especially when being denied a smoke and others in the open space office still smoked, with ash trays on the desk and everything. Ashtry? Whats an ashtray? Boy do I hope to live long enough to hear kids ask that question. Anyway, as much as I loved Neil and was there to help him in any way to kick the habit, I was scared silly he might go into one of his caffein fits with no access to tobacco and ... well ... he could be just a little destructive at times. So, I carried an unopened pack of cigarettes, and matches, in my purse, for just short of four years in case he needed to have one. He never did.

I do wish you both well, and anyone else who decides to quit. It can be a new years resolution but I wouldn't wait that long. And too many resolutions made at the new year just don't make it down the driveway even once without being broken in some way. So, keep up the good work and I am sure we here at the forum will help you if we can. Hey, after the RV we could ask Adam to change the forum from DV to NSV ... Non-Smoking Vets.

We could share stories and experiences and goals met or oopses that might have occurred. We could find, I am sure, ads that would run as they do now to help support the site. We could concentrate on making an off topic thread or two that feature jokes, and information on reinvesting from the RV , or information on interesting new items being developed or whatever. Leave the controversial stuff, sorry that means politics and religion, somewhere else and not here ... it is very controversial and here we want only a good safe soft secure place where you can share the failures as well as the successes.

OMG, I have gone and done it again ... run off at the mouth ... but this is something I want so much to see happen for folks who wish to stop smoking. I cannot criticize. I never had to go through the quitting process because I never started. But I have watched others go through it, and I have had a lifelong struggle with eating and being what was referred to in the good old days as a larda55. So I do know some of the pitfalls. Oh gosh I hope you really hang tight to this goal and make it work. You will not regret it in the end.

:)

smee2

• Upvote 2

Bodeem, I'm proud of you too....I wish I could decide to quit.....The thing that bothers me most about smoking is knowing that I am not a good witness for our Lord.. I know He wants me to quit but I still have that rebellious heart that I was born with....I will pray for ya..God bless you ......Bamagirl, I'll pray for you too...Please pray for me as I may be more pleaseing in His Eyes

I didn't even see this post.... I'm sorry... Thank you for the post and your honesty... You may feel your not pleasing in His eyes but I promise when He looks at you He sees His child.... You will know when its time to quit and I pray we can all do it!!!!!!!

God Bless you

Bodeen

smee2,,

Yet another great post from you.... This site is awesome because of members like you... All I can say is

THANK YOU

God Bless

Bodeen

• Upvote 1

After 17 years if 1-2 packs a day I quit using acupuncture. At the clinic's advice I booked a vacation to immediately follow the treatment- It disrupted the habitual actions that you associate smoking- very important. I had a great week at a Club Med.. my wife not so good- apparently I was a bit touchy. Nevertheless we survived that week and I haven't had a cigarette since.

I did promise myself I could have a few cigars a year- I might have five or six and I enjoy them as a rare treat.

I also promised myself that I could start smoking again when I hit 70- I don't think I will but hey- I'll deal with it then.

As for you now: everything will be better- food will actually aquire flavors! It's like your taste buds have been wearing mittens and are now running around your mouth discovering a whole new world.

In a few weeks when you cough or sneeze you will wonder that that awful smell is- it's what you smelled like when you smoked.

A failure doesn't mean defeat- don't give up. Don't give up. Don't give up.

Your family will love you (more) for it.

• Upvote 3

After 17 years if 1-2 packs a day I quit using acupuncture. At the clinic's advice I booked a vacation to immediately follow the treatment- It disrupted the habitual actions that you associate smoking- very important. I had a great week at a Club Med.. my wife not so good- apparently I was a bit touchy. Nevertheless we survived that week and I haven't had a cigarette since.

I did promise myself I could have a few cigars a year- I might have five or six and I enjoy them as a rare treat.

I also promised myself that I could start smoking again when I hit 70- I don't think I will but hey- I'll deal with it then.

As for you now: everything will be better- food will actually aquire flavors! It's like your taste buds have been wearing mittens and are now running around your mouth discovering a whole new world.

In a few weeks when you cough or sneeze you will wonder that that awful smell is- it's what you smelled like when you smoked.

A failure doesn't mean defeat- don't give up. Don't give up. Don't give up.

Your family will love you (more) for it.

my wife not so good- apparently I was a bit touchy.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Thanks for the post magawatt!!!!!!!!!! :tiphat:

I will not give up..... I will not give up..... I will not give up.......

To all the ones trying.... Please see above

Its time

Some things to ponder: quit for yourself first and all those who love you will benefit!!! It is hard but everyday you don't smoke is a step in the right direction!!! Just one puff is like having to start over again, but when.. I fell better after 6 days of 0 nicotine!!! I don't want to go through the first 2-3 days of withdrawal again. That is what's stops me from lighting up!! The crabby/touchiness gets better to.. Find some projects to help distract you and change up your daily routine. It does help and sooner than later you will begin to feel better.. This is one of the Things I found on the why quit website that kinda hit me between the eyes on my day 1.

With this puff I enslave myself

to a lifetime of addiction.

While I can’t promise to always love you,

I do promise to obey every craving and

support my addiction to you

no matter how expensive you become.

I will let no husband or wife,

no family member or friend,

no doctor or any other health professional,

no employer or government policy,

no burns or no stench,

no cough or raspy voice,

no cancer or emphysema,

no heart attack or stroke,

no threat of loss of life or limbs,

come between us.

I will smoke you forever

from this day forth,

for better or worse,

whether richer or poorer,

in sickness and in health,

till death do us part!

“You may now light the cigarette.”

“I now pronounce you a full-fledged smoker.”

Postscript: While 1 in 2 marriages end in divorce, the addiction to smoking will last a lifetime—albeit a shorter lifetime.  Once a smoker, annulment of the addiction is impossible.  One puff can result in a permanent relapse.  Don’t take the chance of relapsing to this marriage of inconvenience.

NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

Joel

© Joel Spitzer 1994, 2000

Page last updated by Joel Spitzer on August 23, 2003

Good luck you can do it!!!!!

Kim

• Upvote 1

You can do it my DAD quite smoking about 7 ys ago, last week the doc found a TUMOR on his right lung yup you guessed it cancer, how bad or small or large cell we don't know yet next weekend we'll probably know ...... god bless and you can do it..........

You can do it my DAD quite smoking about 7 ys ago, last week the doc found a TUMOR on his right lung yup you guessed it cancer, how bad or small or large cell we don't know yet next weekend we'll probably know ...... god bless and you can do it..........

You and your dad..... Im so sorry friend.... I lost my MOM and Youngest Brother with in three months in 2006....