Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Panetta issues message on Iraq

Starlifter

Panetta issues message on Iraq

BY: Unattributed , American Forces Press Service

10/24/2011

WASHINGTON -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta, en route to Indonesia on the first leg of a three-nation overseas trip, issued the following message concerning President Barack Obama's announcement Oct. 20 that all U.S. forces will be out of Iraq by the end of the year:

The United States and Iraq affirmed today that the U.S. will fulfill its commitments under the current U.S.-Iraq Security Agreement and withdraw all of our military forces by the end of 2011.

Today's announcement means that at the end of this year, there will be a clear end to the U.S. combat presence in Iraq. I wanted to take this opportunity to express my profound gratitude and appreciation to our men and women in uniform who have served in Iraq since 2003.

Our troops and their families have borne a heavy burden during more than eight years of war, and paid a great price. Yet it is a testament to their strength and resilience that we are now able to bring this war to a responsible end. Thanks to their service and sacrifice, Iraq is ready to govern and defend itself and to contribute to security and stability in a vital part of the world.

We will now turn our full attention to pursuing a long-term strategic partnership with Iraq based on mutual interests and mutual respect. Our goal will be to establish a normal relationship similar to others in the region that focuses on meeting security and training needs. Iraq is a sovereign nation that must determine how to secure its own future. Going forward, we will work closely with the Iraqi government and their armed forces to help them continue to build a stronger and more prosperous country.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123277020

Great post, I remember flying a helicopter along the Iran Iraq border with Generals on board talking. There were miles of barb wire, and old fighting positions from the Iran Iraq war in the 80's. Needless to say Iran and Iraq fought for over 8 years to a stailmate with no winner. With terrible circumstanses involved in the war, using children to detect mines. I strongly feel the Iraq military is sufficient now to protect themselves, and will continue to improve! Or at least I hope the best for them, A RV will seperate Iran and Iraq greatly and protect Iraq more than their military if they do have a stronger currency. GO RV 2011 $0.86

• Upvote 4

Great post, I remember flying a helicopter along the Iran Iraq border with Generals on board talking. There were miles of barb wire, and old fighting positions from the Iran Iraq war in the 80's. Needless to say Iran and Iraq fought for over 8 years to a stailmate with no winner. With terrible circumstanses involved in the war, using children to detect mines. I strongly feel the Iraq military is sufficient now to protect themselves, and will continue to improve! Or at least I hope the best for them, A RV will seperate Iran and Iraq greatly and protect Iraq more than their military if they do have a stronger currency. GO RV 2011 $0.86

I couldnt agree with you more on the RV helping to protect the country from iran. Best case senario is that the peole would beat the crap out of the iranians if they tried to come in and take it away from them...

Handcuffs and helicopters all go hand in hand... Im a roter head (H1-F and H-1N) from 76-86, Loved it and miss it. Been supporting heavy airlifters since then.

RI/RV, Bring It On!

Starlifter

• Upvote 1