Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

WH Claims Unemployment Checks Create Jobs

krome2ez

Jay Carney Bashes WSJ Reporter, Claims Unemployment Checks Create Jobs

Posted on August 11, 2011 by Conservative Byte

Press Secretary Jay Carney has gotten testy with reporters lately, specifically Fox’s Ed Henry. But now he’s turned his ire on the Wall Street Journal.

Yesterday, a Journal reporter asked how the White House can claim that extending unemployment insurance actually creates jobs. Carney didn’t want to be challenged, and so he quickly attacked the messenger:

http://conservativebyte.com/2011/08/jay-carney-bashes-wsj-reporter-claims-unemployment-checks-create-jobs/

• Upvote 1

Its hard to believe these people in DC actually think this the right way to go about helping the economy.angry.gifangry.gif

Well personally I see it like this, if someone loses their job and has unemployment insurance (which we pay unemployment taxes and insurance and our employer pays as well) then the "someone" cannot pay bills, loans go into default, homes foreclose....on and on, this trickles into the economy on many levels. However, the sad part about this scenario is there are often no jobs to find, so folks are on unemployment until it runs out. This is not the answer to create jobs. This is suppose to be a safety net. Unemployment is not welfare. Because the unemployment is so high and so many people are out of work, last I heard 14 million...the federal government has been supplementing this program. I work in technology and we have so many foreign nationals who have jobs, yes, not Americans. sigh, sad state of affairs. This makes me angry.angry.gifangry.gif

Edited by DinarDana

I totally agree it should be safety net. But if someone was unemployed before July this year, they receive a 99 week extension !! I haven't been in ths situation, thankfully, yet, but almost two years will pass before alot of people will look for a job. JMO, thats all, not trying to downgrade a situation of hardships that someone is dealing with. Not my intention. NC where we are from, has high 9% unemployment, yet we ride by businesses everyday with signs out front saying help wanted. It may not be what people want to do for a living but it does provide a sense of pride in those that do want to work. And if unemployment checks are higher monetarily, than a job probably wouldn't seem so appealing. JMO

Its hard to believe these people in DC actually think this the right way to go about helping the economy.angry.gifangry.gif

They don't think this is the way to help the economy... They think it is the way to help themselves and there are those who have an agenda beyond that. There IS a push toward globalism and multiculturalism and the way that will have to be accomplished is by dumbing down and demoralizing the common-folk. The economy needs to fail so that the majority of people will look to Washington for direction and some slick talking, silver tongued Pied Piper will be right there to fill in the gaps. Look at how the masses flocked to a young, charismatic, slick talking Senator with no practical experience as a chief executive. Some people will fall for anything because they stand for nothing. Politicians are narcissistic by default. They are looking out for themselves. B)

• Upvote 2

They don't think this is the way to help the economy... They think it is the way to help themselves and there are those who have an agenda beyond that. There IS a push toward globalism and multiculturalism and the way that will have to be accomplished is by dumbing down and demoralizing the common-folk. The economy needs to fail so that the majority of people will look to Washington for direction and some slick talking, silver tongued Pied Piper will be right there to fill in the gaps. Look at how the masses flocked to a young, charismatic, slick talking Senator with no practical experience as a chief executive. Some people will fall for anything because they stand for nothing. Politicians are narcissistic by default. They are looking out for themselves. cool.gif

RIGHT ON ...........

Well personally I see it like this, if someone loses their job and has unemployment insurance (which we pay unemployment taxes and insurance and our employer pays as well) then the "someone" cannot pay bills, loans go into default, homes foreclose....on and on, this trickles into the economy on many levels. However, the sad part about this scenario is there are often no jobs to find, so folks are on unemployment until it runs out. This is not the answer to create jobs. This is suppose to be a safety net. Unemployment is not welfare. Because the unemployment is so high and so many people are out of work, last I heard 14 million...the federal government has been supplementing this program. I work in technology and we have so many foreign nationals who have jobs, yes, not Americans. sigh, sad state of affairs. This makes me angry.angry.gifangry.gif

The real number of unemployed/under-employed is actually closer to 30,000,000. There are approximately 17,000,000 Americans who have either given up on the employment situation, taken under-paying jobs to try and make ends meet, found some scoundrel willing to pay cash to avoid payroll taxes, or they have entered the black market somehow. The Bureau of Labor Statistics only reports unemployment claims of those who are newly entering the system and on those still in the system. Once the benefit runs out those people are no longer taken into consideration. That's one of the ways our illustrious Federal government skews the numbers so the non-thinkers among us don't realize just how bad our economy and jobs markets really are... B)

By the way, they really aren't "supplementing" the program. They are getting people addicted to big brother's way of taking control of the economy.

• Upvote 1

The real number of unemployed/under-employed is actually closer to 30,000,000. There are approximately 17,000,000 Americans who have either given up on the employment situation, taken under-paying jobs to try and make ends meet, found some scoundrel willing to pay cash to avoid payroll taxes, or they have entered the black market somehow. The Bureau of Labor Statistics only reports unemployment claims of those who are newly entering the system and on those still in the system. Once the benefit runs out those people are no longer taken into consideration. That's one of the ways our illustrious Federal government skews the numbers so the non-thinkers among us don't realize just how bad our economy and jobs markets really are... B)

By the way, they really aren't "supplementing" the program. They are getting people addicted to big brother's way of taking control of the economy.

The ones who are NEVER counted are the self employed. The small business owner, the independent agent, the contract labor. Those are never counted, yet they amount to HUGE numbers. Joe Plumber no longer can find work. His former clients have lost their jobs, so he's now out of work too. Thing is....he does not get unemployment benefits. The self employed do not get unemployment checks. They are simply SOL.

When you add the small businesses that have greatly reduced or non existent work.....the TRUE unemployment rate is staggering. Some others who are no longer counted are those who have exhausted their unemployment benefits and are now starving. And their kids are starving. Yet we send $billions to Somalia, Egypt, Afghanistan, South America, and dozens of other countries. They are far more important than the American people.....

The 'official' unemployment numbers - those new job losses - still amount to OVER 400,000 jobs lost per WEEK! And that has not changed in over 3 years.... That's over 1,000,000 lost jobs each and every month.....

What production jobs have been created in the past 2 years? What manufacturing jobs have been created in the past 2 years? Where are those 'shovel ready' jobs our country was promised? Even many of the former illegals have left the US because they no longer have any work. Where are the jobs??? So much for hope and change. More like 'Hoping for Change'....

The American people need to start putting pen to paper and sending complaints to their representatives DEMANDING they do what they promised and were sent to do. Make them accountable for producing what they promised when they were elected. Very few people will actually send formal, written complaints or reprimands to their representatives. It is only with action by the people that we can effect the change we've wanted. Stop watching TV and start writing! If only 10% (approx 31 million) of the American people would take action, change WOULD happen. Do your part, make your voice count.

How many contacted their representatives about the dinar??? Why stop there?? Contact them about your country! your jobs! your homes! Take action.

What is there to lose? our country....

Things to ponder.....

• Upvote 1

I totally agree it should be safety net. But if someone was unemployed before July this year, they receive a 99 week extension !! I haven't been in ths situation, thankfully, yet, but almost two years will pass before alot of people will look for a job. JMO, thats all, not trying to downgrade a situation of hardships that someone is dealing with. Not my intention. NC where we are from, has high 9% unemployment, yet we ride by businesses everyday with signs out front saying help wanted. It may not be what people want to do for a living but it does provide a sense of pride in those that do want to work. And if unemployment checks are higher monetarily, than a job probably wouldn't seem so appealing. JMO

Unemployment is 1/3 of your pay in the state of MA - At least for someone in my salary range. I hope you never have to be in this situation. I don't know anyone who wants to be on unemployment. If you are making six figures a year, you get laid off, you now get an insurance claim for 1/3 - Some people I know who live in the city would be able to pay their rent and maybe buy food, that's it. It's not a free ticket.

Then there is another problem with unemployment - entire towns and cities across America have been brought to their knees because the company who laid them off, shut down or moved off shore. Many of these companies employed most of the people in a town - Now the only jobs available are somewhere else - they can't sell their homes and relocate, no one is buying homes - Entire towns and cities across this nation are in this situation. Most recent example is NASA, not only are the folks who work there are soon to be unemployed, but all the businesses that supported those workers are now shutting down, restaurants, corner stores, gas stations.

This is a bigger problem than 99 weeks of unemployment insurance. There is no where to turn for many people.

Holy crap 30,000,000 - that is UGLY! I suspected it was higher however not twice as much....

Holy crap 30,000,000 - that is UGLY! I suspected it was higher however not twice as much....

it's actually higher than that, but you'll never see the true numbers from any mainstream media source.

Try closer to 44 million with no work....

Real estate agents

Insurance agents

Independent sales reps

Sole proprietor small businesses

Construction and remodel

Electricians, plumbers, mechanics, fabricators

All of these are self employed. Many no longer have anyone to sell to...therefore no income....and they do not get ANY benefits of any kind.

Edited by BlueOrchid919

it's actually higher than that, but you'll never see the true numbers from any mainstream media source.

Try closer to 44 million with no work....

Real estate agents

Insurance agents

Independent sales reps

Sole proprietor small businesses

Construction and remodel

Electricians, plumbers, mechanics, fabricators

All of these are self employed. Many no longer have anyone to sell to...therefore no income....and they do not get ANY benefits of any kind.

Unfortunately this is the reality America is facing. Your points regarding small businesses and etcetera are well recieved. I know what you said is true. I had my own business for three years, but the way the tax structure is set it was so difficult for me I simply opted out and closed my business. My employees were making more money than me and I'm still, after four years, answering to the IRS. I got hit with a huge bill for back taxes last year and just paid another penalty this year for forms my accountant never filed and I was ignorant of... How in the world anyone stays in business nowadays is beyond me. You practically need a degree in tax law or you need to pay a tax attorney to keep you out of trouble. B)

Unfortunately this is the reality America is facing. Your points regarding small businesses and etcetera are well recieved. I know what you said is true. I had my own business for three years, but the way the tax structure is set it was so difficult for me I simply opted out and closed my business. My employees were making more money than me and I'm still, after four years, answering to the IRS. I got hit with a huge bill for back taxes last year and just paid another penalty this year for forms my accountant never filed and I was ignorant of... How in the world anyone stays in business nowadays is beyond me. You practically need a degree in tax law or you need to pay a tax attorney to keep you out of trouble. B)

I closed my business 3 years ago as well. Put 35 agents out in the street. Some went to other agencies, some went on welfare. Regardless, it hurt many families. In my state, it is difficult today for an average agent to earn a reasonable living. Thousands of agents are in serious financial difficulty.

Over regulation, hefty fees, restrictions, taxes and such are THE main reason why the US has lost so many jobs. China, Pakistan, Korea, etc didn't 'steal' those jobs, our illustrious government ran our US based businesses out of the country. Why on earth would any wealthy corporate owner stay in the US when they could move offshore and GREATLY increase their bottom line?

The more the govt threatens to tax 'the rich', the faster they are leaving the country or laying off workers. US corporations are leaving the US in droves. Or downsizing and starting up elsewhere outside the country. As they leave, due to onerous regulations and taxes, all the supporting businesses (shops, restaurants, repair people, etc) have to cut back or close as well. Thus the shocking 400,000+ new unemployed each and every WEEK.

We need a govt that will reduce taxes to rock bottom, completely change the tax system, remove burdensome regulations that prevent Mom and Pop from starting a small business. All of which will bring back jobs and prosperity. That is what our country was founded on.