Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

it is spelled HOAX

patb1

In the study of Semantics, there is often an exercise given to the class to provoke thought.

What is the proper way to write the following:

"There are three (to's) (two's) (too's) in the English language".

Which option is correct.

For communication to take place, sometimes precise terms must be used to reference the subject being discussed.

English isn't the easiest to master as a second language.

However as a primary language, and backed by a public school system that provides a free education to all, it is troubling to see the lack of concern for our future survival, and prominence in the world society.

I hope there is more emphasis in the future in turning out students that are armed with the skills necessary for both survival and perpetuation of civilization.

Somedays less hopeful than others.

We are all here to learn, share and let off steam.

It is sometimes hard to do any of the above, if our words defy interpretation.

But, FWIW, there have been studies that prove that as long as a word starts and ends with the correct letter, and the sentence structure is correct, many can understand the content.

I am sure this debate will continue until there is either a revival in the 3 r's, total outcome based education, or too little concern for either to make comment...

• Upvote 1

TO MISSPELL IS HUMAN---EVERY ONE HAS DONE IT-----NOT EVERY PERSON HAS A SPELL CHECKER

At my advanced age, and with my background, I should be able to spell everything correctly. However, there are some words with which I continually struggle when it comes to spelling. Those particular words have become such a bugaboo that I am never sure if they are right, even when they are!

So, here is something you, and others, might find useful.

I minimize whatever I am doing where I am required to type something, like the forum posting, or comments, or even chat, and go and open up my email. I start a new mail and then minimize it. I bring the forum or whatever back to regular full page and carry on with what I am doing. If I question the spelling of a word, I bring up the email page, type in the word as I think it should be, and then ask the email program to check spelling. I get confirmation of correct spelling or suggestions if it is not correct. By minimizing the email page I am back at what I was doing with the correct spelling for what I am trying to say.

I don't always take the time to do that which is why sometimes one will get by me. For many years I was a typesetter, writer, proofreader, along with related jobs in the printing and publishing business, being owner and editor or a newspaper. But, as time has passed, especially in the last few years, I have found I no longer have the same command over memory, of things like words and numbers and events, as I used to have. It is called getting old! And believe me, it is no picnic. So, the above described method of keeping some sort of spelling integrity has been very valuable. Hope someone might find it useful.

:)

smee2