Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Reply from Congressman Mike Pompeo

Catalina

Sent to me by Senator Pompeo.

Opinions Please.

Dear Ms xxxxxxx

Thank you for contacting me regarding Congressional benefits. I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with me. In order to make sound decisions, it is important for me to hear from Kansans.

You will be glad to know that one of my first votes as a Member of Congress was to reduce the amount authorized for salaries and expenses of Member, committee, and leadership offices in 2011 and 2012 by five percent. This five percent cut is estimated to save $35.2 million in 2011 alone. Additionally, Congress has declined a cost-of-living salary increase over the past few years.

As you may know, all Members of Congress currently pay into Social Security. Congressional retirement is funded through taxes and the Members' contributions to the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS), and it is identical to the benefit that all other federal employees are eligible to receive. There is no special retirement system for Members of Congress.

The health care benefit that Members of Congress receive has been in the news lately given passage and implementation of Obamacare. Much like the retirement system, I am eligible for the same health insurance coverage as any federal employee and pay the same premiums and deductibles. There is no special health care system set aside only for Members of Congress. While in Washington, I can also be seen by the House attending physician, a service for which I would have to pay.

I personally support term limits. The change overall would help make elective office less of a career path and more of a temporary duty of citizens. I agree with you completely that it is an honor to serve in Congress representing the 4th District of Kansas. Once I am finished serving the people of Kansas, I want to get back to the thing I love —running a small business. Should legislation come to the House Floor on any of these issues, I will be sure to keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for your thoughts. If you have any additional concerns, please do not hesitate to call on me or Mike Netherton of my Washington, D.C. staff. It is an honor to serve the people of Kansas in the United States Congress.

Sincerely,

Mike Pompeo

Member of Congress

• Michael Richard Pompeo is an American politician who has been the U.S. Representative for Kansas's 4th congressional district since 2011. He is a member of the Republican Party.Wikipedia