Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

How the bitterness of a parent almost destroyed a family

Heavyduty053

A tear trickled down little Abby's cheek and it stung her chapped face. "I don't understand, Mommy. Look at those people. Look at that old lady, she's so dirty, her cloths are torn and she lives in a horrible place. They don't live there because they want to dear, life has not been so kind to them and they have no place else to go. They're homeless people. Sometimes they can find warmth and food in a special place called a shelter, but they can only stay there at night and have to move on during the day. Abby was overwheled by the answer's her mom was giving her and she said, "but they don't even have a bathroom or anything. Her mom seen the look in Abby's eyes and knew the questions were gonna keep coming so she tried to change the subject.

Yes, i know, Now aren't you thankful that you have a warm place to sleep and even a bathroom. Yes mommy, I am, Abby's vision was still blurred by her tears as she and her mother walked on toward church. Are these people invited to church like we are, Abby was still all about the subject, it was bothering her and her mom went silent because she didn't know what to say to that. As the evening went along toward dinner time, Abby became quite which was unusual for her. Isn't she feeling well , her dad said and he was a man of few words as he walked over to his chair by the fireplace and buried his head in the newspaper. Her mother said, i think she is upset over seeing some homeless people today. She seemed confused and hurt for them. It kinda bothered me to, I also feel kinda sorry for them, thats when Abby's dad looked up and said, we have enough to worry about than watching and worrying about some homeless person, now get over it. This was kinda expected from him after all these years of bitterness over our tragedy, she just hoped Abby was not within hearing distance.

Catherine finished clearing the table and washing dishes, she went up stairs to see if Abby was alright. Joseph just wasn't the man he used to be, so much bitterness, not caring to even talk to Abby some times or me either. Abby needed her father but he was not available for her. He lived in the same house but he had turned bitter. Abby always tried to help her mom through the sad times when her father was silent or bitter but his coldness only had gotten worse since the death of their son last year. It was if he blamed them for Shane's death. Catherine knocked on Abby's door and went in to find her sitting at her little desk. She was growing up so fast and already in the first grade. What ya doing Abby, she showed her a piece of paper that had stick men lying on the ground by what seemed like a big wall. These are the men we saw today, but they're are sleeping now or maybe even dead. Why would you think they are dead Abby, because it is cold and raining outside and nobody can live in that. Daddy always said that if it weren't for him, I'd be living on the street probably dead somewhere.

The cruelty of her husband's arrogance rang in Catherine's ears as she heard Abby utter those rediculous words. These people may not get to live like us, but Jesus still loves them just as much as he loves you and he wants them to come to heaven someday when he needs them. Abby your father doesn't mean those things he says to you. Please be patient with him, he is hurting over Shane's going to heaven. Abby listened then said but mommy why does daddy blame us with those mean things he says, we didn't make Shane die. Abby you need to show him you love him even when it's hard just like Jesus shows us. Jesus is understanding if we are saying mean things because we hurt inside and we need to show daddy the same. Abby said i know, my sunday school teacher taught us that last sunday. It hurts me by what he says but i know he doesn't mean it. Catherine kissed Abby on the forehead and was walking toward the door when Abby said, Mommy do you think Jesus understands daddy. Catherine said i don't think your daddy knows who Jesus is because he hasn't went to church with us. I think thats why he is still hurting over Shane because he doesn't have Jesus to help him like we did. She closed the door gently waited a second and then opened it just a little to see what Abby was doing now that she left the room. Abby was down on her knee's beside her bed saying, "Dear Jesus in heaven, please forgive me for not being a good little girl sometimes. I will do better and thank you for helping me. Jesus please help those homeless people and please help mommy and me to understand daddy even when he says things he don't mean. Please say hello to Shane, for me i know he's there with you. Jesus i am sorry my daddy doesn't know who you are, will you help him anyway. Please help my daddy find out who you are so he can be happy again.

Catherine knew right now Christmas Eve was going to be hard on Joseph since this is the first Christmas without him, but she hoped that Joseph would fullfill his duties as he always had, playing Santa and getting the gifts out when the kids were fast asleep. It came Christmas morning and Abby ran into her mommy and daddy's room hollowing wake up wake up its Christmas morning thenshe ran down stairs only to find an empty tree with no gifts under it. Abby begin crying and Catherine came down and seen what had happened and she started back up the stairs screaming at Joseph making him nearly fall out of bed. Whats the matter, whats the matter he said loudly. Where's Abby gifts, you always put them out and play Santa on Christmas Eve, you forgot to get them out of the attic. Catherine had taken special care to get something special for Abby this years since the lose of her brother- weeking of shopping and now Joseph in his bitter arrogant mind had ruined everything. The special surprise that should have been waiting on Abby when she got to the tree. It' all ruined, Abby was standing behind her with tears running down her cheeks, saying mommy wasn't i good enough this year, does that mean that Jesus doesn't love me anymore either since you said that Jesus helps Santa sometimes five out gifts.

Joseph just looked at them knowing he had let his bitterness hurt his little girl and it had gone to far this time. He had forgotten Catherine and Abby's birthday a few months ago and now he had forgotten Christmas for his family. He felt sorry for what he did but somehow he just didn't feel the guilt he should have. He lased out at Catherine, saying you should have remined me, or done it yourself do i have to do everything around here. I am sick of everything that goes wrong being blamed on me. Shane would still be alive if you had taken better care of him. Joseph knew instantly that he had said the wrong thing, the chill of Catherine's expression covered him like an iceberg. That's it Joseph, me and Abby have lived with your insenitive arrogant cruiety for a year now over Shane's death and even more with the guilt you've forced on me. I know if Shane had been with me that day he would still be alive but he wanted to go to his friends house. He isn't here, Joseph, he isn't here and you are not gonna bring him back by showering me and Abby with your cruelty. Abby was standing outside her parents door when her mother opened it and craddled her in her arms and said i am so sorry you have to hear this and how he's treated you. Abby kept crying saying, "I am sorry mommy that Shane went to heaven, i am sorry please don't be mad at me.Catherine turned around and looked at Joseph with the coldest look that anyone could ever imagine.

Catherine was silent for a minute while looking at Joseph, then said i think its time for you to make a decision, you have already lost a son, do you want to loose a wife and daughter to, or even more so your soul for being like this. While you have been grieving over your son the rest of your family has been dying to and you couldn't even see it. Abby was silent just looking at her parents, more so her daddy because he had tears in his eyes. She told them that its ok that i didn't get any presents this year, Santa and Jesus must have been so busy they flew right on by our house. Catherine bent down and hugged Abby and Abby said mommy i know there really isn't a Santa, Shane tole me that before he went to heaven. He told me not to tell you. I was afraid you and daddy was mad at me and didn't get me any gifts. daddy is always mad at me because of Shane. Joseph stood there not knowing who he was more mad at now himself or Catherine. After all she was the mother of his children, she was supposed to be there so he would have been alright.

Right then there was a knock on the front door, catherine and Abby was in her room so he ran down and looked out the front window at who it might be. Good God, he said an old lady dressed in raggedy cloths, can't these people go somewhere else, today of all days. Joseph opened the door ready to pounce on this looser. When he opened the door before he could say anything the lady spoke and he heard something that sounded like Shane's voice. An errie feeling ran all over him. What do you want, i have no money to give you, well sir i don't want your money, i am hungry and wondered if you might have some table scraps you were gonna throw in the garbage. Why don't you go to the shelter. They do not have any room today. Now go away and before he could close the door, he heard a voice like Shanes again. Ok, could i please come in for a moment to get warm then i will leave. No you can't then Joseph slammed the door in her face and then headed back to his bedroom. Joseph heard her cry out, Please help me and it startled him it was so loud. He thought, she must have fallen off the porch now she is gonna sue me. He opened the door and the lady and her bag was face down on the ground in the rain. He helped her up to her feet and said are you alright, are you hurt anywhere. As the woman got to her feet she said your Son will be proud of you. Joseph was dumbfounded, in the midst of his anger he found his feelings right here, in the cold, in the rain, barefooted and helping an old homeless woman in his front yard.

Joseph began to weep a little then louder as the old woman put her arms around him and told him, do not be angry or bitter at your family about Shane death, you see it was tiem for Shane to be with the father in Heaven, we all have that time coming. Joseph looked at her still crying and said how do you know my son. Shane and i sat together a little while ago and he said to tell you that he is OK and he is waiting to see you again one day. You see i am an angel sent by God to help you before you make a grave mistake with your family. Put aside the bitterness and show your family that you love them and Shane will be proud of you. We will see you again some day. Joseph opened his eyes and turned around and she was no where to be found.

Joseph ran upstairs and grabbed Catherine and Abby and hugged them so sweetly and tight while giving them kisses. He was crying asking forgiveness and saying he was sorry, never saying a word about the Old woman and Shane's voice. Joseph knew he had been in the presence of an angel. It was the best Christmas gift he could have ever hoped for. As he held them all three of them were crying, not because of being angry, but because Catherine had her husband back, Abby had her daddy back and Joseph felt like he had his son back. They were a family again. Joseph started to church with his family and Abby would hold his hand tightly and just smile. She told Jesus that was the best present he could have ever given them.

This is so true these days, so much hurt and sorrow and so much angry being channeled in innocent places. Little ones take the blame for growups utter bitterness.......hope you liked it.....Heavyduty053

• Upvote 3

Great story Heavyduty. :)

Bitterness belongs to Satan, he will use it to destroy all relationships. From family, to friends, to co-workers, to neighbors. And he will use it toward the small innocent children to gain souls. Satan has his hands in everything... this is how he works.

Your correct Heavy, in saying that there is so much sorrow and anger in our world today, that sometimes it feels hopeless. With your stories you are opening up souls and softening hearts to Christ. Even if its just one soul... You are pleasing to God.

• Upvote 2