Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Neighbors 'outraged' after man, 80, charged with shooting burglar

40oz

By Rosemary Sobol and Liam Ford Tribune reporters 10:19 a.m. CDT, March 27, 2012

Neighbors say they're "outraged" that an 80-year-old owner of a local tavern has been charged with shooting a burglar who broke into his home in the Englewood neighborhood on the South Side.

“What does it say to me and other senior citizens that we will be arrested if we defend ourselves?" asked Anita Dominique, head of the block club in the neighborhood. "This is an outrage.”

Police say Homer Wright was inside his home in the 6400 block of South Morgan Street about 6:30 a.m. Monday when someone broke through several boards and entered through a rear bathroom window and tried to steal some liquor. Wright grabbed a handgun and shot the burglar in the lower right leg, police said.

Anthony Robinson, 19, of the 6000 block of South Wood Street, was charged with felony burglary after he was treated at St. Bernard Hospital and Health Care Center and released.

Wright was charged with one felony count of unlawful use of a weapon after police discovered he had two prior weapons convictions from 1968 and 1994, officials said. Records show Wright also was convicted of theft in 1990. Wright turned his gun over to detectives.

Dominique said Wright runs a tavern next door to his home called "Tank's," after his nickname. “I have known Tank for over 30 years and he is a pillar of our community,” she said.

Darryl Smith, 42 said he's a lifelong resident of Englewood and lives a block from Wright. “He’s been on that corner my whole life,” Smith said. “He has a responsible business and he’s a responsible man.”

Smith said everyone he’s spoken to about Wright’s arrest is “outraged.”

In Englewood, an area beset by crime, police shouldn’t be arresting someone for defending himself, Smith said.

“Here’s an 80-year-old man who’s defending himself against a teenager that’s breaking the door in … What if he didn’t have a gun? We’d be having a press conference about something very different,” Smith said.

Police and prosecutors should have found a way to avoid charging Wright, Smith said. "Just take the gun."

• Upvote 1

By Rosemary Sobol and Liam Ford Tribune reporters 10:19 a.m. CDT, March 27, 2012

Neighbors say they're "outraged" that an 80-year-old owner of a local tavern has been charged with shooting a burglar who broke into his home in the Englewood neighborhood on the South Side.

“What does it say to me and other senior citizens that we will be arrested if we defend ourselves?" asked Anita Dominique, head of the block club in the neighborhood. "This is an outrage.”

Police say Homer Wright was inside his home in the 6400 block of South Morgan Street about 6:30 a.m. Monday when someone broke through several boards and entered through a rear bathroom window and tried to steal some liquor. Wright grabbed a handgun and shot the burglar in the lower right leg, police said.

Anthony Robinson, 19, of the 6000 block of South Wood Street, was charged with felony burglary after he was treated at St. Bernard Hospital and Health Care Center and released.

Wright was charged with one felony count of unlawful use of a weapon after police discovered he had two prior weapons convictions from 1968 and 1994, officials said. Records show Wright also was convicted of theft in 1990. Wright turned his gun over to detectives.

Dominique said Wright runs a tavern next door to his home called "Tank's," after his nickname. “I have known Tank for over 30 years and he is a pillar of our community,” she said.

Darryl Smith, 42 said he's a lifelong resident of Englewood and lives a block from Wright. “He’s been on that corner my whole life,” Smith said. “He has a responsible business and he’s a responsible man.”

Smith said everyone he’s spoken to about Wright’s arrest is “outraged.”

In Englewood, an area beset by crime, police shouldn’t be arresting someone for defending himself, Smith said.

“Here’s an 80-year-old man who’s defending himself against a teenager that’s breaking the door in … What if he didn’t have a gun? We’d be having a press conference about something very different,” Smith said.

Police and prosecutors should have found a way to avoid charging Wright, Smith said. "Just take the gun."

Key words are here is that he had two prior weapons convictions. Which means he was not supposed to have a weapon.

If we are to maintain our gun-rights we all know you have to play by the rules. Felons are not allowed to own guns. Even if your a 80 year old felon. He should have bashed in his skull with a ball bat . Then nothing would have been said

homer_wright_0326.jpganthony-robinson-0327.jpg

FELON #1

FELON # 2

Edited by dog53
  • Upvote 2

That guy is lucky. I'm not a felon, and if I have to shoot someone, then I'm going for the gusto, shoot to kill. If they behave while I'm aiming my gun, then they'll live until the cops take him under arrest. I'm not a crazy person wanting to kill someone,but I do feel I have a constitutional right to bear arms and protect my family and property. GO RV !!! B)

• Upvote 3