Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

This is spooky

sandyf

8 June 2011 Last updated at 04:48 GMT

Chinese general confirms aircraft carrier plans

The chief of China's General Staff of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Chen Bingde has confirmed that China's first aircraft carrier is under construction.

The general refused to say when the carrier - a remodelled vessel from Ukraine, the Varyag - would be ready.

A member of his staff said the carrier would pose no threat to other nations.

Gen Chen also told the Chinese-language Hong Kong Commercial Daily newspaper that citizens of the former British colony could join the PLA.

"The aircraft carrier is under construction now," said Gen Chen, a member of the Central Military Commission.

Observers have previously photographed what is believed to be the Varyag and the state-controlled People's Daily has previously reported that work is being carried out on the vessel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13692558

Has anyone read the book "Shadows of Steel" by Dale brown. I think it was written in 1997 and featured a refurbished russian aircraft carrier that had been sold by China to Iran.

Luckily, we'll topple their economy with all of their bad investments in us with no return or payback! :P It's like investing in your loser Uncle's get rich quick scheme. <_< kinda like dinars... :P:lol::blink:

Once RV, Nothing but American made for me(Or Uk or Ausie Ect... Anything but China).... Haha Everything I own, Even my Mustang, Has China somewhere on it... Haha

Krem

I you are not familiar with the book, written in the late 90's, you will not see how in this modern day political environment,the scenario could very well become a true story.

That being the case there is little point in unrelated comments.

Edited by sandyf

I wouldn't worry too much about this. They have simply copied the Russian version and it is MUCH smaller than our carriers. We have been at this a very long time, if they want to play on the pond too let em, I do not see them as any threat however. JMO. Peace.

I wouldn't worry too much about this. They have simply copied the Russian version and it is MUCH smaller than our carriers. We have been at this a very long time, if they want to play on the pond too let em, I do not see them as any threat however. JMO. Peace.

Why do americans have an obsession with size? Try reading the book, you could find it interesting. ME politics, China only supplied the carrier.

Why do americans have an obsession with size? Try reading the book, you could find it interesting. ME politics, China only supplied the carrier.

Because Im familiar with this class of carrier and its capabilities. This is not a NEW carrier per say, new to China maybe but not a new design. So yes I can comment with some knowledge here on this vessel. Peace.

What book????... Title, Author or something. We have to know what book you are talking about. Might read it if I knew.

What book????... Title, Author or something. We have to know what book you are talking about. Might read it if I knew.

Did you actually read the opening post or do comment for the sake of it.

Because Im familiar with this class of carrier and its capabilities. This is not a NEW carrier per say, new to China maybe but not a new design. So yes I can comment with some knowledge here on this vessel. Peace.

You have missed the point completely. Nothing to do with carriers or capability.

I found it strange that a fiction author wrote 14 years ago about the chinese having an old russian carrier that they passed on to Iran, who then tried to use it to take control of the middle east.

I know it was only fiction and far fetched.

8 June 2011 Last updated at 04:48 GMT

Chinese general confirms aircraft carrier plans

The chief of China's General Staff of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Chen Bingde has confirmed that China's first aircraft carrier is under construction.

The general refused to say when the carrier - a remodelled vessel from Ukraine, the Varyag - would be ready.

A member of his staff said the carrier would pose no threat to other nations.

Gen Chen also told the Chinese-language Hong Kong Commercial Daily newspaper that citizens of the former British colony could join the PLA.

"The aircraft carrier is under construction now," said Gen Chen, a member of the Central Military Commission.

Observers have previously photographed what is believed to be the Varyag and the state-controlled People's Daily has previously reported that work is being carried out on the vessel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13692558

Has anyone read the book "Shadows of Steel" by Dale brown. I think it was written in 1997 and featured a refurbished russian aircraft carrier that had been sold by China to Iran.

The submarines are a bigger concern. We can see the carrier and can sink it from a long way off. Their subs are or will be a serious threat to our carriers.

Edited by Polecat85

Amen BanG! We are still the baddest kid on the playground OR the pool! :D

Now Sandy, it isn't just Americans that obsess with size...it's all men! :lol: And by you making that comment, obviously you are not American...so if it does happen just know the world police(USA) will come rescue you. So try not to sound so neurotic about your fictional book, we have enough to worry about.

Amen BanG! We are still the baddest kid on the playground OR the pool! :D

Now Sandy, it isn't just Americans that obsess with size...it's all men! :lol: And by you making that comment, obviously you are not American...so if it does happen just know the world police(USA) will come rescue you. So try not to sound so neurotic about your fictional book, we have enough to worry about.

One day you may come to realise that arrogance is a most unpleasant human trait.