Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

haiti , bashing the usa

babysnake

Making the most of disaster

As heartless as it may sound, Haiti's current plight is nothing new. A cursory glance at its tragic history makes this crystal clear, bemoans Gamal Nkrumah

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click to view caption

US troops descended by helicopter to take position in front of Haiti's ruined presidential palace in Port-au-Prince

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The militarisation of emergency relief by the Western powers, and in particular the United States of America, is scandalous, disgraceful and unscrupulous. It is understandable that attitudes to neocolonialism are difficult to change. However, to feign remorse for the plight of Haitians and to use the country's adversity to embark on the consolidation of the island nation's military occupation by US forces is a despicable act.

The US-led international charm offensive is fast discarding its charm, while bearing its teeth and putting the onus on the offensive. The message of goodwill and harmony rings hollow in Haiti. American troops have blatantly taken control of the international airport, muzzling voices of despair buried beneath the rubble.

United States President Barack Obama's smile was fresh at the start of his presidency. He's no longer smiling, as the unprecedented loss of a Kennedy's senate seat was announced yesterday. As far as Haitians are concerned, Washington came up with a callous and calculating modus operandi which serves its own strategic interests.

Haitians had hopes in redemption by an African-American president in the venerable tradition of their own legendary Toussaint Louverture. He has failed them. The consensus in Haiti and overseas is that American troops are overbearing in their disdain for the least shred of sovereignty in Haiti, blithely turning back French and Brazilian cargo planes loaded with desperately needed aid.

The quest to understand the mysteries of Haiti's misfortunes is not a futile exercise. Far from it, the predicament Haitian President Ren

I say once it Rvs we all ban together and do our own overthrow, we hire armed guards and we can ignore all the polical fighting and turn the country around. build desalination plants, force agriculture and farming, fnally finding something unique to Haiti and market it to the world... with money and no other motive than to help them we should be able to provde a new life for the haitians. I know I'm dreaming but I hate all these people are at the mercy of countries that have no concern for the people.

I am not familiar with Haitian history but it seems to me this entire article has the country playing victim. Granted they are small but it is clear from this article that the Haitian government hs not stepped up to help it's own people or allowed anyone else that could to assist. There are billions of dollars that are sent to this country year after year and yet no change of any kind, why? What is keeping these people as a nation from becoming somewhat self sufficient?

the usa has thrown billions to the upkeep and protection of haiti in the last two decades. and so they are whining again. i have littlte sympathy for the government of haiti. they have done nothing but argue over the aid. i duly noted their comments about LONG TERM AID FOR THEMSELVES. yeah right!

i have sympathy for the people but nothing seems to ever change there no matter how many people die trying to help or how many billions we spend.

so i say to the author of this article "please put a sock in it." i asked nice!

It seems as a country we cannot win. If we stand by and do nothing, we should do something. If we do something it either isn't enough or we are doing it the wrong way??

At this point in time, the millions of dollars in aid are unable to get through because the Haitian gangs are now highjacking shipments of supplies and convoys are being attacked. The UN is basically useless at this point and they don't want any other military presence to assist. The Haitian government is arrogant in it's impotency and not concerned about it's people's plight. JMO but I feel really sorry for the people.