Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

The Iraqi People

hypr2001

There are some that have an idea. I have been told several different stories and thoughts on this. There are a few I believe. The general thought seems to be it is coming, date unknown. As far as what I have been told and the ones I believe, I have shared in the past. I have been told Jan. I have no links, I am not dinarified, I wont give names and I have been bashed. So as far as that goes, sorry but I dont discuss it now. I hope you understand.

Hyper, Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the info, and do understand your keeping certain details to yourself.

Hyper2001, thanks so much for the insider's view of life in Iraq today. My nephew was killed by an IED outside of Baghdad in 2004 and I'm glad to hear that his sacrifice was not in vain. I hope you continue to provide your insight to this room. We need this kind of information to really understand the future of our investment.

First off let me say that anyone that has given their life for their country or countrymen is nothing short of a true hero. I have had my share of Hero missions and have had the honor of bringing them home. I salute you and your family for the sacrifice you have made as well. Its never easy to say goodbye but, say hello to someone who honors and respects your son's memory and his family.

I do appreciate the kind words and rest assured your son did NOT die in vain. I see the good things that his service brought, everyday.

Again Thank You and God Bless You. --Salute--

hypr: In these few peoples opinion :

Do they feel their way of living has improved in the past 6 months ?

How do they feel about our involvement in this war ?

Are they happy we got involved in this war ?

Do they wish for us to pull the remaining troops out of Iraq ASAP ?

What is their opinion, as to how they feel Americans have treated them ?

hypr: In these few peoples opinion :

Do they feel their way of living has improved in the past 6 months ?

How do they feel about our involvement in this war ?

Are they happy we got involved in this war ?

Do they wish for us to pull the remaining troops out of Iraq ASAP ?

What is their opinion, as to how they feel Americans have treated them ?

Your question is a bit broader than most people probably think. With the answers in regards to your questions I can cover alot more ground and more backgrounds as far as people go.

On a whole, yes the Iraqis I work with see marked improvment in the last 6 months. Moreso the last 6 months than any other time frame.

From the main stream, yes they are very happy we got involved. If we had not, Saddam would still be oppressing and dictating. There are many freedoms now that were not afforded to the general public before.

The majority of the people I have asked about the US pulling troops are NOT in favor of it. They know and realize their capabilities at this moment. They of course do not see everything that is happening. If you ask a hardliner, they are more than ready for the US to go. The younger generation is scared they will fall right back into a dictatorship and the older generation is scared there will be no control. It really is a balancing act.

As far as treatment from the US. It seems to be a good feeling that I get. I think alot of the bad is overshadowed by the good that has been accomplished. The bad is not forgotten but yet recognized for what it is. Isolated issues and not the views of a country. Nothing more or less. I do know that the trust issues remain and it is a small task to get them to trust even enough to open up a little so it can grow. Case in point; it took a full 2 weeks for any of the Iraqis to talk to me when I first arrived at Taji. Not because they didnt like me but simply because I was new. Now I am called "Brother", "Cousin", and Friend.

No matter what people think, there will always be hardliners. Saddam loyalists, Muslim Radicals and Militias here. The trick is to get them to open lines of communication versus boxes of ammunition.

By the spelling that goes on here it makes me wonder what the average IQ is of the average dinar investor....scarey!!

Spelling error may not connote lack of intelligence, but a signal of a person that speaks more than one language ie percibe is perceive in the latin languages. They mean and sound the same but are spelled differently. That and people that are high level thinkers tend to overlook the small details.

Anyone that would take the time to 1-invest in a currency 2-join a community where they can discuss the currency and 3-contribute is cognitively (I have two masters degrees and speak 3 languages) my equal.

hypr2001,

There is a post by a mdddek6 that states he is a contractor over in Iraq as well. He has some question about getting IQD through customs and I responded to him telling him I would ask you, perhaps you could respond to him he seemed a little nervous. You could probably search under his name and find it it is the first I have seen him post.

Thanks,

ToddS

At what age do they feel their children are adults?

Do they worry about Western influence on younger Iraqis?

How do the children respond to the US people who are there?

Are the children a lot like ours? (do the younger ones like to play, and the older ones want to drive, go off to school)

I guess I would like to know about their family structure, as I believe most families are the same now matter what.

Hypr2001, thank you for giving us some insight into culture most of us don't know much about.

Be Safe,

ToddS's wife, Malissa

Your question is a bit broader than most people probably think. With the answers in regards to your questions I can cover alot more ground and more backgrounds as far as people go.

On a whole, yes the Iraqis I work with see marked improvment in the last 6 months. Moreso the last 6 months than any other time frame.

From the main stream, yes they are very happy we got involved. If we had not, Saddam would still be oppressing and dictating. There are many freedoms now that were not afforded to the general public before.

The majority of the people I have asked about the US pulling troops are NOT in favor of it. They know and realize their capabilities at this moment. They of course do not see everything that is happening. If you ask a hardliner, they are more than ready for the US to go. The younger generation is scared they will fall right back into a dictatorship and the older generation is scared there will be no control. It really is a balancing act.

As far as treatment from the US. It seems to be a good feeling that I get. I think alot of the bad is overshadowed by the good that has been accomplished. The bad is not forgotten but yet recognized for what it is. Isolated issues and not the views of a country. Nothing more or less. I do know that the trust issues remain and it is a small task to get them to trust even enough to open up a little so it can grow. Case in point; it took a full 2 weeks for any of the Iraqis to talk to me when I first arrived at Taji. Not because they didnt like me but simply because I was new. Now I am called "Brother", "Cousin", and Friend.

No matter what people think, there will always be hardliners. Saddam loyalists, Muslim Radicals and Militias here. The trick is to get them to open lines of communication versus boxes of ammunition.

Hypr, Thanks for this post. I know everyone here appreciates you taking the time to talk with your Iraq friends and supplying us with these answers.

Take Care and God be with you.

At what age do they feel their children are adults?

Do they worry about Western influence on younger Iraqis?

How do the children respond to the US people who are there?

Are the children a lot like ours? (do the younger ones like to play, and the older ones want to drive, go off to school)

I guess I would like to know about their family structure, as I believe most families are the same now matter what.

Hypr2001, thank you for giving us some insight into culture most of us don't know much about.

Be Safe,

ToddS's wife, Malissa

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this. Actually had to go and ask about the questions you posted. Learned alot for myself as well.

The age of adulthood was a little difficult to get across at first. Translations were weak and there is no set age per se. The military accepts 18 year olds. Most men are preparing for marriage around 18 but some wait till they are more able to handle the responsibility. Some girls are married into families as young as 16 (not quite sure the circumstance of this).

Some of the older generation do worry about the western influence. It was my impression that it was not so much they were worried about being corrupted but rather the change in general. We as humans have a common ground where we feel safe. Where day to day happens and we know what to expect. The democracy, western ties and influence and personal freedoms afforded the new generations now are a bit scary for all.

As far as the children, alot depends on the parents and their social network. Just like in the USA, children are a product of their enviroment. If the adults are receptive, then so are the children. My personal dealings with them have been very positive. I have heard of the children being used to harm troops as well. Those instances are few and far between but they do happen.

The children here are just like the children in the USA. Play is a little different though. Soccer is a HUGE part of the culture here, just like football is in the states. So there is alot of soccer playing going on. The older ones are driving if they are allowed or can afford to. There is also the university (college) that seems popular if one can be afforded the oppportunity.

Family structure is a bit different but the same in many aspects. It is not uncommon for 2 or even 3 generations to live in the same household, provided there is space. Many houses are small as to accomodate only the parents and children with their wives. This is part of being prepared to marry. The family organization is very tight. Much more than I remember in the USA. Much more than my own family was. I am sure there are many tight knit families and I do not try to imply in any way that all families in the USA are not close. I grew up in an enviroment where family ties were not as tight as most. From what I am told and have witnessed, parents are afforded the utmost respect of the children. Not just their own but of most. There is a common respect for elders and so on. It is actually very impressive. Then there are the cousins, aunts, uncles and soo on that are actually hold pretty close. So there really seems to be no immediate/extened family structure. They seem to feel all family is important and cherished.

I hope I answered in a manner you were able to get the answers you were looking for. Also ty for the well wishes, it is much appreciated.