Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

The Formation of the Iraqi Government Between The Application of the Constitution and Respecting the Rights of Voters And Complying with the Provision

07 June, 2010 04:33:00

The guests of this episode of the program were:-

1-Dr. Noori Lateef, professor of International and Constitutional Laws.

2-Mr. Basim Al-Awadi, an authority on Iraqi affairs.

So Dr. Mohammed Al- Ta’ee, the producer and presenter of the program, and after welcoming his quests, mentioned the topic of forming the government, and said that the citizen is the most forward-looking to accelerate the forming of the government, because the delay will result in complications in the living and service situations of the Citizens, and that, in the face of the interactions among the political blocs, the Citizen is confused and wonders how the government is going to be formed and whether that will be inconformity with the Constitution or will it comply to the provisions of Chapter VII, which some blocs have hinted to; in addition to the question about the reason why the political blocs and their leaders do not consider the interests of the Citizens and the country and make concessions in order to accelerate the forming of the government?

After that, the program showed a televised statement by Dr. Ayad Allawi, the head of the Iraqi Coalition, in which he said that his Coalition has asked the Arab League to address the Security Council regarding the interactions among the blocs and what difficulties, the forming of the next government is facing. In a response to that, a telephone call came from Mr. Sa’ad Al- Muttalibi, member of the Lawful State Coalition, in which he said that Allawi asked, by this statement, for internalizing the political process, and that will open the door, actually, for the internationalization of the Iraqi Issue and for foreign interference, the taking away of the sovereignty and the canceling of all the achievements made under the National Unity Government. He, also, pointed out that the provisions of Chapter VII do not mention administering the political process of the country, which is under the authority of the Iraqi People, who elect the members of parliament. Adding that Internationalizing the issue is rejected by the Iraqi People and all political blocs, and that the Commission bears the biggest part of responsibility for what the Iraqis are experiencing after the elections, for it did not run the electoral process as required, and the Accountability and Justice, also, bears part of the responsibility, because the Iraqi political scene cannot stand further escalation.

Dr. Lateef explained that what is going on, now, is a political struggle for power, and the Iraqi People are facing the consequences after they went and voted in the elections. As for resorting to the Security Council, Dr. Lateef said that Iraq is striving to be a State of Institutions, and that the Council, issued Resolution 1970, in 2007, ending Resolution 661 of 1990 and re- instating Iraq as a sovereign State. Adding that the role of the Security Council falls within the so- called "Efforts of Good Offices", because Iraq is out from under Chapter VII, as he said.

Mr. Al-Awadi, on his part, said that the process of forming the government is significantly delayed, but he refused that all the political leaders are involved in causing that, and explained that everyone is aware of who is working for forming the government and who is not. Adding that the going on demands of re-counting and sorting, and the decisions of the Accountability and Justice to exclude winning candidates contribute to the delay in forming the government, and that will result in causing, basically, harm to the Citizens, thus the winning blocs must sit to a "Round Table" and agree on forming a National Government and to share the Authority in a patriotic way aside from the Quotas.

At this point, a telephone call was made by the program to the spokesman for the Iraqi Coalition Mr. Hayder Al-Mullah, who said that the government of P.M. Al- Maliki has failed to take Iraq out from under Chapter VII, and that the Iraqi Coalition is resorting, to the International Law, to save the political process, because it has lost hope in an internal solution, after the attempts of eradication, the controlling of the Judiciary and the Constitutional establishments, by Al-Dawa Party, and the attempts against the political process and the establishing of a new dictatorship in Iraq. He, also, pointed out that the Iraqi Coalitions calls for an emergency session of the House is to re-create a monitoring body on, what he termed as a "Caretaker Government", so that no abuse of State resources be in favor of a particular Party in the absence of a supervision by the Iraqi People.

After that a telephone call came from, Mr. Baha’a Al- Araji, the head of the Legal Committee in the Parliament, who explained that, after the expiration of its term, the House cannot meet but as exceptional sessions called for by the President of the Republic, the P.M., the House Speaker or by request from fifty M.Ps., noting that the Legal Committee has suggested the holding of a House session, on the grounds of the positive advantages, resulting from that, for the nearness of the points of view of the blocs and to solve many disagreements that hinder the forming of the government.

Then Dr. Lateef returned to say that the talk about a "Caretaker Government" is illegal and non-Constitutional, and that there is a constitutional emptiness, which the Parliament ought to have taken into consideration and passed a law allowing the Parliament to continue being in session. He, also, drew the attention that there are three failure points: in the House, in the Electoral Law and in the Constitution; which participate in worsening the crisis in the political process.

A telephone call came from a Mr. Majid, from Basrah, who stressed that it is the duty of the Court of Appeal to safe-guard the rights of the Iraqi People, after it makes sure of fraud in the electoral process. He also pointed out that the head of the Commission bears full responsibility, due to, what he considered, as the desperate defense for the performance of his Commission. Adding that the politicians ought not to beg the neighboring countries and depend, solely, on the votes. A second call came from a Mr. Abu Anfal, from Al- Dujail, who called for the need to respect the decision and opinion of the Iraqi voter, and wondered, at the same time, about the going of the politicians to the neighboring countries and being received there, while they do not represent the government, and they are nothing but winning candidates. To that Mr. Al-Awadi commented that the politicians have a confidence problem, a lack of clarity and personalization of political issues, which reflect negatively on their inter- relations. He, also, pointed out that the reason for that is the clinging to power and the gains obtained by them during their term of offices. Adding that the blocs got close results, which entails the forming of a National Government through a patriotic dialogue.

After that a call came from a Mr. Abu Ali, from Dewaniya, who said that the Iraqi Citizen started to feel bored of the delay in forming the government, and expressed his surprise for the visits to the neighboring countries by the leaders of the blocs.

Dr. Lateef in a reply to a question, by Dr. Al- Ta’ee regarding to which official body the voters can resort when they become certain that the political blocs’ leaders are unable to come to terms regarding the forming of the government, said that the Citizen has done his duty and if the leaders do not come to terms, then the Citizen and the Civil Society Organizations can resort to the Iraqi Judiciary.

The episode, also, included many telephone calls from Citizens, who demanded hastening the forming of the government, casting aside the disagreements and protecting the political system, so that to complete building Iraq and serving its People.

http://www.alfayhaa.tv/Programs/SPACE-OF-FREEDOM/32898.html

• Upvote 1

Lots of different opinion's here from the principles that is for sure. The one opinion that made me happy was the opinion of the average guy who called in. It was clear that they wanted these self-serving politicians to quit the ridiculous in-fighting and get their act together as to protect them. Improve the lives of the citizens and do the peoples business. They are not interested in the need for foreign government to interfere and they wanted above all for the democratic gains paid for in buckets of blood and pain to be protected and placed first on the list of what is most important. Not the interest of self-serving politicians who seemingly have no interest in common with the Iraqi street.

Touche!! You know what? I am gonna give the lowly GI credit for this one. I'm even gonna give that credit to the lowly contractors working over there for this as well. There could be nothing better than to have our citizens and their citizens in contact with each other. It has always been and always will be that the best example of Democracy lies in the people that make up the "United States of America".. Beautiful name huh.

You ask any American who has been over there on this forum and they usually tell you they liked the basic Iraqi. That they were asked questions and they took time to answer the best they could. Read again what those callers were saying. They wanted their democracy and they want the politicians to get on with it or they are afraid they will lose all they have paid so dearly for. I agree. That they said so makes me proud. Now where did they get that from? These poor people for centuries have been living in one form of repressive regime or another and till right now they have had no experience with a democracy. So after long thought I'm gonna say they got it from the soldiers and civilians who have served my country cause I can't see where any of their politicians or ours would have given them a clue of what a democracy is.even remotely about.

Even If I am wrong I say to all who served.........Job well done....Thank You. "Company.... Dismissed!!"

Great Post Bumper64 Thanks!!

Edited by automag
  • Upvote 2

Lots of different opinion's here from the principles that is for sure. The one opinion that made me happy was the opinion of the average guy who called in. It was clear that they wanted these self-serving politicians to quit the ridiculous in-fighting and get their act together as to protect them. Improve the lives of the citizens and do the peoples business. They are not interested in the need for foreign government to interfere and they wanted above all for the democratic gains paid for in buckets of blood and pain to be protected and placed first on the list of what is most important. Not the interest of self-serving politicians who seemingly have no interest in common with the Iraqi street.

Touche!! You know what? I am gonna give the lowly GI credit for this one. I'm even gonna give that credit to the lowly contractors working over there for this as well. There could be nothing better than to have our citizens and their citizens in contact with each other. It has always been and always will be that the best example of Democracy lies in the people that make up the "United States of America".. Beautiful name huh.

You ask any American who has been over there on this forum and they usually tell you they liked the basic Iraqi. That they were asked questions and they took time to answer the best they could. Read again what those callers were saying. They wanted their democracy and they want the politicians to get on with it or they are afraid they will lose all they have paid so dearly for. I agree. That they said so makes me proud. Now where did they get that from? These poor people for centuries have been living in one form of repressive regime or another and till right now they have had no experience with a democracy. So after long thought I'm gonna say they got it from the soldiers and civilians who have served my country cause I can't see where any of their politicians or ours would have given them a clue of what a democracy is.even remotely about.

Even If I am wrong I say to all who served.........Job well done....Thank You. "Company.... Dismissed!!"

Great Post Bumper64 Thanks!!

Very well said Automag!! I agree 100% with you on this!

• Upvote 1