Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Decoration Day in the south

Heavyduty053

It was early morning and Mama had a box filled with flowers she had gathered from our back yard. She placed them in coffee cans and tall juice cans that she had covered in aluminum foil. I was too young to know very much about flowers but I did recognize the irises and peonies or "pineys" as Grandma loved to call them. Daddy had already mounted the American Flag on the pole that extended from the side of the house and he was loading the huge box full of flowers in the trunk of the car along with the fried chicken, potatoe salad, garden vegetables and a desert of some sort. I noticed the flag unfurling in the soft breeze as we all got into the car and drove down the lane to get Grandma.

If she was well enough, she always went with us every year on this important outing. I sat in the front seat of the car in the middle between Dad and my brother since I was the youngest. Mama sat in the back beside Grandma so they could gossip, I guess. Down the road we went because on this day it was Decoration Day and it was a tradition for the whole family to gather and go to the cemeteries to honor family and friends who has crossed from this life into the next.

The first stop was Linville Cemetery, a beautiful place with huge old oak trees with branches that seemed to protect the inhabitants of their restful places. Upon arriving we would join the many others that would also gather to honor family. Mama always reminded us to be restful because it showed respect and besides with all those tree branches, us kids from every family knew if we got out of line it wouldn't take much for Dad to break a long strong limb, they called switches and do some wearing out. Now if you don't think the old style correction method worked well just ask some who lived during that time and look at the content of their character now. There was no beating a child back then, but there was correction and when a switch or belt was used as a last resort it brought the lesson home. Pain always had a way of helping us kids remember how to behave.

There were many small flags at grave sites across the cemetery for the veterans of families and they blew so beautiful in the breeze to honor fallen military men and women. Right beside the cemetery stood the old white church. Church services wasn't held there any more because a new one was built several hundred feet from it. Dad and Mom's parents, grandparents and relatives were buried there since this old place had been in their country neighborhood for close to a century. Dad would always let me walk inside the old church and see where his parents spent Sunday morning getting to know God. Churches were never locked back then because people would never even think of violating the inside knowing God was watching. They were taught better and some of it stuck with them. As always it was a day for Mom and Dad to spend with other families looking at graves remembering and talking with others who knew each other.

All the Moms would prepare a family dinner of their choosing and bring it with them and at lunch time or "Dinner time as we in the south traditionally call it"  it was spread out on the ground on table cloths. It was a feast when each families food was all put together. I still today can't figure out why our parents always gave us kids a chicken leg instead of the other pieces of chicken....and the desert section, Oh, us kids was reminded that if we didn't eat what Mom put on our plate we would not be getting a piece of cake or pie. We knew those deserts wasn't going to waste so we eat all our foods and was rewarded with a treat. Prayer was offered before we eat and after dinner was over there would be more mingling with other folks while us kids found our own entertainment. Those trees were an invite in the cool breeze, then on to chase then exploring.

About middle evening everything was wrapped up, cleaned up, graves looked good and all the families would say their goodbye's and we would load up and head toward home. These times in the south will always be remembered. To us kids, these were the times families bonded and I believe even today if there were more of the right kind of discipline and correction and a load of love thrown in this world would be a little better place. I can look back and just see God smiling because he was really honored back then. Some people didn't have as much as others but in God's children eyes we all had the same. No one was better than another, we all associated together, no matter what you wore, what you lived in or what you had and when it came Decoration Day we all were together to celebrate. Those were the times. Just wanted to share a true story from my own childhood.

• Upvote 1

I might add that Decoration day was on Mother's Day every year and still is but without the grand gatherings and dinner on the ground and now my parents is in the same cemetery that these memories are shared with.

Sorry you're parents are gone. 

I wish you could still have those "Grand Gatherings and dinner on the ground" with your parents

I am Blessed to still have both my Mom & Dad. I dread the day that they are gone. 

God Bless

Edited by moose 57