Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Police Standoff with EMPTY car.

krome2ez

EB I-8 Traffic Slowed by Police Standoff

Officers held guns drawn on the vehicle while commuters drove by

By R. Stickney | Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 | Updated 7:29 AM PST

The black vehicle was pulled over by an officer investigating a home invasion according to police.

advertisement Officers, with guns drawn, closed two lanes of highway traffic Tuesday while they investigated a suspect's car along Interstate 8.

After several hours, officers realized the home invasion robbery suspect they thought was in the car was nowhere to be found. The car was empty.

Several patrol cars stopped alongside I-8 just west of El Cajon behind a dark colored Pontiac with heavily-tinted windows around 4 p.m.

The car belongs to a man who is connected to a home invasion robbery, police said.

Investigators said the suspect was supposed to meet with his parole agent but called and said his car had broken down.

Photos and Videos Police Standoff Without a Suspect

WATCH

Police Standoff

Without a Suspect More Photos and Videos For more than two hours, officers stood pointing guns at the car and trying different ways to check the car for any one inside. At one point, an officer threw a tree branch to break the back window.

Officers used the police helicopter above to try and see if there was anyone in the car.

As a result, commuters heading home from work in the eastbound lanes were subject to a delay that backed up traffic into the College Area.

Finally, hiding behind bullet-proof shields, an officer broke the driver's side window. A police K-9 confirmed no one was inside the car.

The only thing found inside was a dozen roses.

The freeway reopened at 7 p.m.

Police investigators had planned to arrest the car's owner during his scheduled parole meeting on home invasion robbery charges.

When asked if the suspect may have been tipped off and lied about car troubles to get away, Lt. David Rohowits said, "I guess that could have happened. Do we have information that it did happen? No."

Police are not releasing his name because they believe he will be caught soon.

Source: EB I-8 Traffic Slowed by Police Standoff | NBC San Diego

Video would not load. Can see here at link provided:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Interstate-8-Police-Standoff--139331958.html

Edited by krome2ez
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I really WANT to support our police officers and firefighters and ambulance EMTs. They do a job that can save lives and property, and they do so sometimes at great risk to their own lives. I really do WANT to support and respect and stand up for them.

BUT ... when this kind of thing happens you just have to laugh and wonder just how narrow minded these guys are that they would be there for hours trying to arrest someone in an empty vehicle. A tree branch at the back window? Helicopter must have been the heat seeking kind that knows where someone is, like in the car. And a K9 unit? And a car with nothing in it but a dozen roses. I'll bet there are some very angry delayed commuters out there who are thinking some pretty harsh things about their police at this time. But you just have to laugh!

Thanks for posting this ... a good story.

:)

smee2

"Car 54 calling dispatch".

"Go ahead, Car 54"

"We have a vehicle on west-bound I-8, mile-marker 7. Appears empty, except for a dozen roses".

"Dispatch to all cars in vicinity of mile 7, I-8, officer needs help investigating abandoned vehicle with a dozen donuts."

That explains it. Just a lack of communication.

• Upvote 3

Come on all, these guys are no perfect and they do screw up some times but better to be safe then sorry. These guys and gals put there assess on the line every day not knowing what to expect. Believe it or not People are crazy out there, and yes they will shoot your azz over a speeding ticket.I have had plenty of tangles with the law, but i still respect what they do along with Fire and Rescue.My hats off to them all. :)

• Upvote 2

EB I-8 Traffic Slowed by Police Standoff

Officers held guns drawn on the vehicle while commuters drove by

By R. Stickney | Wednesday, Feb 15, 2012 | Updated 7:29 AM PST

The black vehicle was pulled over by an officer investigating a home invasion according to police.

advertisement Officers, with guns drawn, closed two lanes of highway traffic Tuesday while they investigated a suspect's car along Interstate 8.

After several hours, officers realized the home invasion robbery suspect they thought was in the car was nowhere to be found. The car was empty.

Several patrol cars stopped alongside I-8 just west of El Cajon behind a dark colored Pontiac with heavily-tinted windows around 4 p.m.

The car belongs to a man who is connected to a home invasion robbery, police said.

Investigators said the suspect was supposed to meet with his parole agent but called and said his car had broken down.

Photos and Videos Police Standoff Without a Suspect

WATCH

Police Standoff

Without a Suspect More Photos and Videos For more than two hours, officers stood pointing guns at the car and trying different ways to check the car for any one inside. At one point, an officer threw a tree branch to break the back window.

Officers used the police helicopter above to try and see if there was anyone in the car.

As a result, commuters heading home from work in the eastbound lanes were subject to a delay that backed up traffic into the College Area.

Finally, hiding behind bullet-proof shields, an officer broke the driver's side window. A police K-9 confirmed no one was inside the car.

The only thing found inside was a dozen roses.

The freeway reopened at 7 p.m.

Police investigators had planned to arrest the car's owner during his scheduled parole meeting on home invasion robbery charges.

When asked if the suspect may have been tipped off and lied about car troubles to get away, Lt. David Rohowits said, "I guess that could have happened. Do we have information that it did happen? No."

Police are not releasing his name because they believe he will be caught soon.

Source: EB I-8 Traffic Slowed by Police Standoff | NBC San Diego

Video would not load. Can see here at link provided:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Interstate-8-Police-Standoff--139331958.html

These cops must have been trained by the same guys that trained the Columbine cops. They waited to go into that school even thought they could hear shooting inside.

• Upvote 1

"Car 54 calling dispatch".

"Go ahead, Car 54"

"We have a vehicle on west-bound I-8, mile-marker 7. Appears empty, except for a dozen roses".

"Dispatch to all cars in vicinity of mile 7, I-8, officer needs help investigating abandoned vehicle with a dozen donuts."

That explains it. Just a lack of communication.

000205B3.gif +1 for ya

I really WANT to support our police officers and firefighters and ambulance EMTs. They do a job that can save lives and property, and they do so sometimes at great risk to their own lives. I really do WANT to support and respect and stand up for them.

BUT ... when this kind of thing happens you just have to laugh and wonder just how narrow minded these guys are that they would be there for hours trying to arrest someone in an empty vehicle. A tree branch at the back window? Helicopter must have been the heat seeking kind that knows where someone is, like in the car. And a K9 unit? And a car with nothing in it but a dozen roses. I'll bet there are some very angry delayed commuters out there who are thinking some pretty harsh things about their police at this time. But you just have to laugh!

Thanks for posting this ... a good story.

:)

smee2

I am a Police Officer and one of the things that gets Officers killed in the line of duty is walking up to vehicles, so we have to use extreme caution. especially walking up to a car that has limo tint, other words we can not see inside of the car..You bet I would not have walked up to that car either especially after getting a call from dispatch that says the guy just pulled off a home envasion. The suspect more than likely used a weapon.. NARROW MINDED you bet you sweet A-- " I'm going home in one piece to be with my family tonight"...

Edited by mrref
  • Upvote 8

These cops must have been trained by the same guys that trained the Columbine cops. They waited to go into that school even thought they could hear shooting inside.

Try walking in police officer shoes for a week then I would like to see your opinion of police officers....

• Upvote 3

Years ago law enforcement officers worked alone, without the aid of radios or other officers. The breed of individual drawn to work as an L.E.O. was radically different then what we have out there today.

All things change, and societies dictate that we continually move forward and look less towards the old ways and more towards the new ways.

Law enforcement like every other aspect of our society has been sissified.

One cold truth remains,...There are some really bad actors in our world that will gladly take advantage of softness. When they reveal themselves, you will have a choice,... stand and spout laws and regulations to them, or put on your big boy panties and enforce through force that which may require you die to defend.

• Upvote 1

I am a Police Officer and one of the things that gets Officers killed in the line of duty is walking up to vehicles, so we have to use extreme caution. especially walking up to a car that has limo tint, other words we can not see inside of the car..You bet I would not have walked up to that car either especially after getting a call from dispatch that says the guy just pulled off a home envasion. The suspect more than likely used a weapon.. NARROW MINDED you bet you sweet A-- " I'm going home in one piece to be with my family tonight"...

The posting was not to disparage police officers and the danger of thier duties.

But....

1. The SUSPECT, key word suspect, had informed exactly where his car had broke down.

My question would be, if guilty why would he do that?

2. If the helecopter was there to check for occupants, it would be resonable to assume they were using FLIR,

or Forward Looking Infrared, which should have shown no heat sources.

3. Did they really need to destroy the vehicle to see that it was empty?

Back window, drivers door glass, and the trunk. Really??

4. And most importantly, if they were in fear for thier life that he may be armed,

why was traffic allowed to continue. The officers responce was that all thier shots would be

in a safe direction, but what if there was really someone armed in the vehicle pointing back at the police.

Nobody is perfect, and we all make mistakes.

But this eppisode seems riddled with them.

JMHO

Edited by krome2ez

The posting was not to disparage police officers and the danger of thier duties.

But....

1. The SUSPECT, key word suspect, had informed exactly where his car had broke down.

My question would be, if guilty why would he do that?

2. If the helecopter was there to check for occupants, it would be resonable to assume they were using FLIR,

or Forward Looking Infrared, which should have shown no heat sources.

3. Did they really need to destroy the vehicle to see that it was empty?

Back window, drivers door glass, and the trunk. Really??

4. And most importantly, if they were in fear for thier life that he may be armed,

why was traffic allowed to continue. The officers responce was that all thier shots would be

in a safe direction, but what if there was really someone armed in the vehicle pointing back at the police.

Nobody is perfect, and we all make mistakes.

But this eppisode seems riddled with them.

JMHO

1. Officers are killed everyday, Its called SETUP

2.Didn't say why the helicopter was there, more than likely news media copter

3. It really depends on what you called destroyed, I've been in situation where we searched a car thourghly and found the suspect strap to the undercarriage holding a AK47.

4.I don't understand what their reasoning were for not blocking off traffic, As for as our Department we would have shut down all lanes and evacuated homes near by..

• Upvote 1

1. Officers are killed everyday, Its called SETUP

2.Didn't say why the helicopter was there, more than likely news media copter

3. It really depends on what you called destroyed, I've been in situation where we searched a car thourghly and found the suspect strap to the undercarriage holding a AK47.

4.I don't understand what their reasoning were for not blocking off traffic, As for as our Department we would have shut down all lanes and evacuated homes near by..

Read more: