Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Security, technology overshadow Iraq’s Eid traditions

BtrFuture4All

November 14, 2010 - 07:13:05

BAGHDAD / Aswat al-Iraq: Viewpoints of citizens varied over the remaining traditions or their absence pertaining to the Eid al-Adha holidays, as some said that technology had played an important role in changing the inherited traditions, while others blamed the deteriorating security conditions.

Um Mahmoud, 52, a mother of six boys and five girls from northeast Baghdad’s al-Shaab district, said some traditions passed on from the forefathers have vanished due to the access of Iraqi houses to modern technology.

“An example of this is the mobile phone as most people began to exchange Eid congratulations through calls or SMSs to their beloved ones and friends rather than visiting them. This new habit was behind the current lukewarm relations,” she told Aswat al-Iraq news agency.

Her 56-year-old husband, Abu Mahmoud, said “one of my sons continues to congratulate me on the Eid through the mobile phone every year because he lives abroad”.

“My small family exchanges visits with our relatives and friends every Eid in order to keep contacts alive and revive old traditions we had been brought up on. Sometimes we visit tourist sites, not far from our dwellings, in order to keep ourselves and children and grandchildren happy,” he said.

Abu Zahraa, 32, told Aswat al-Iraq the majority of the families practice their habits and traditions easily, ignoring the alien ones that invaded our country recently”.

Suzan, 29, a housewife and mother of three children in northeastern Baghdad’s al-Binouk district, said the security impact over the past few years had forced Iraqi families to stay indoors during the Eid holidays, but life is returning to normal step by step nowadays”.

“We hope that Eid al-Adha shall be a sign of goodness for all Iraqis after the formation of the new government in order to shed its light on the security situation and enable Iraqis to practice their traditions in ease and peace,” Suzan said.

Lots of other Iraqis prefer to be a bit of couch potatoes watching television with some of them waiting for the late Egyptian singing sensation Um Kalthoum’s Ya Leilt el-Eid (O, Eid Eve) as a decisive announcement for the advent of the Eid.

Nasser Ghani, 55, said he feels very happy to “watch different TV programs during the Eid, when I go out with my kids during the Eid every year to visit Baghdad’s al-Zawraa Luna Park, as most tourist sites in the city after were closed after the occupation of Baghdad”.

Abu Ali, 33, a poet from eastern Baghdad’s al-Sadr district, told Aswat al-Iraq the Iraqi families make good use of the Eid holidays to blow off some steam as well as visit relatives and friends.

“I hoped that this Eid would be different from previous Eids, as far as security on the Iraqi street is concerned. I really wish this Eid would become a sign of better future for Iraqis after the formation of a strong government that can impose its power against terrorism and terrorists,” he said.

“This is our opportunity to feel happy…So, let’s draw the smile on our faces and change our hopes to reality and keep our days nicely perfumed, forget our miseries, color our civilization with the brush of hope and bid farewell to the tears of the past in order to receive our future with love…Let this Eid be one of tolerance and love”.

SKH (F)/AmR

link

• Upvote 2

November 14, 2010 - 07:13:05

Abu Ali, 33, a poet from eastern Baghdad’s al-Sadr district

“This is our opportunity to feel happy…So, let’s draw the smile on our faces and change our hopes to reality and keep our days nicely perfumed, forget our miseries, color our civilization with the brush of hope and bid farewell to the tears of the past in order to receive our future with love…Let this Eid be one of tolerance and love”.

SKH (F)/AmR

link

This is a wonderful sentiment that all people should share in.

Thanks for the post, Solutions.

• Upvote 1