Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Red alert as Basra prepares to mark the death of the Prophet

k98nights

Red alert as Basra prepares to mark the death of the Prophet

21/01/2012 15:03

BASRA, Jan. 21 (AKnews) - Thousands of Shiite Muslims will gather in Basra on Sunday to mark the death of the Prophet Mohammed.

An official security source from Iraq's second city said the whole of Basra province as of this today has been in a state of extreme emergency in an effort to protect pilgrims arriving for the occasion.

These measures come days after 190 pilgrims were killed and wounded after a suicide bomber blew himself up on the road to a mosque south-west of Basra.

The source, speaking to AKnews on condition of anonymity, explained Basra Operations Command has developed a plan to provide protection to all visitors. Security forces will impose a strict security cordon will be imposed 5 km around the mosque in addition to setting up security checkpoints along the roads.

"The security forces will not allow any civilian vehicle including journalists' cars to enter the cordon. Military vehicles will transport everyone to the event. Live broadcast cars will be allowed to enter after all necessary checks."

By Bahaa al-Khadimi

RN/JS/AKnews

http://www.aknews.com/en/aknews/1/285588/

I just would like to remind everyone that people in all countrys kill eachother because of their beliefs, last year 5,000 gangbangers died in America as a result of gang violence. But no one describes America as in civil unrest. Iraq will eventually contain and eliminate these idiots, and casualties will be less and less, its just takes time. Time that they do have, with money comes better security.

• Upvote 1

I dunno man.... gangbangers have tons of drug dollars and income from numerous nefarious enterprises, but they don't seem to suddenly become gentle loving people as a result. The people in the middle east have been murderous for literally thousands of years.. I don't see it ending because of an RV of currency.

I dunno man.... gangbangers have tons of drug dollars and income from numerous nefarious enterprises, but they don't seem to suddenly become gentle loving people as a result. The people in the middle east have been murderous for literally thousands of years.. I don't see it ending because of an RV of currency.

I completely agree! it will never end. but it can be controlled