Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • yota691

      Iraq emerges from Chapter VII of the United Nations   12/09/2017

        Rmc10 Senior Member All Measures Imposed under Iraq Oil-for-Food Programme Implemented in Full, Security Council Concludes, Unanimously Adopting Resolution 1958 (2017) REPORT from UN Security Council Published on 08 Dec 2017 —View Original SC/13109 SECURITY COUNCIL
      8126TH MEETING (AM) The Security Council concluded today that all the measures imposed in its resolutions 1958 (2010) and 2335 (2016) pursuant to Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations in relation to the Iraq oil-for-food programme had been fully implemented. Unanimously adopting resolution 2390 (2017), the Council welcomed the fact that the remaining funds in the escrow accounts established pursuant to resolution 1958 (2010) had been transferred to the Government of Iraq pursuant to resolution 2335 (2016). The Council acknowledged the Secretary-General’s final report on the matter (document S/2017/820), which stated, among other things, that the remaining $14,283,565 in the administrative escrow account had been transferred to Iraq. Following the adoption, Amy Noel Tachco (United States) applauded Iraq’s complete implementation of measures under the oil-for-food programme, although the country still faced many challenges. She looked forward to close cooperation internationally and bilaterally in support of Iraq as a federal, democratic and prosperous country. The meeting started at 9:45 a.m. and ended at 9:48 a.m. Resolution The full text of resolution 2390 (2017) reads as follows: “The Security Council, “Recalling its resolutions 1958 (2010) and 2335 (2016), “Acknowledging receipt of the final report of the Secretary-General pursuant to paragraph 4 of Security Council resolution 2335 (2016), S/2017/820, “1. Welcomes the implementing arrangements entered into by the Secretary-General and the Government of Iraq as requested in paragraph 7 of Security Council resolution 1958 (2010); “2. Also welcomes that the remaining funds in the escrow accounts established pursuant to paragraphs 3–5 of Security Council resolution 1958 (2010) have been transferred to the Government of Iraq pursuant to Security Council resolution 2335 (2016); “3. Concludes that all the measures imposed by the Security Council in resolutions 1958 (2010) and 2335 (2016) pursuant to Chapter VII of the Charter of the United Nations have been fully implemented by the parties.” For information media. Not an official record.     DV LINK
Sign in to follow this  
k98nights

Iraqi Interior Ministry returns $20m to 2010 budget over explosive detector controversy

Recommended Posts

Iraqi Interior Ministry returns $20m to 2010 budget over explosive detector controversy

Wednesday, February 2nd 2011 7:49 PM

Baghdad, Feb. 2 (AKnews) - The Inspector General’s office at the Interior Ministry said on Wednesday that it has returned 24bn Iraqi Dinars ($20m) to the state treasury after resolving mass corruption cases, including the issue of the ADE 651 explosive detectors. cms-image-000032826.jpg

The Iraqi Interior Ministry had previously announced earlier that a number of senior officers in the Interior Ministry were referred to the Iraqi justice on charges of buying the non-effective explosive detecting devices without revealing the identity of the officers involved.

The Inspector General at the ministry Aqil al- Turaihi told AKnews that his office had worked hard to return the funds lost through administrative and financial corruption.

"The staff of the Inspector General is working vigorously with all the illegal issues that lack integrity and non-observance of the controls that limit the spread of corruption," he said.

The Public Integrity committee revealed earlier that the Interior Minister in the previous government Jawad al-Bolani, prevented the Public Integrity committee in accordance with his powers to prosecute six senior officers from his ministry after being convicted of corruption for importing non-effecient explosives detectors.

The ADE 651 explosive detector was widely used by the Iraqi Police Service and the Iraqi Army. The Iraqi Interior Ministry bought 800 of the devices in 2008 for $32m and a further 700 in 2009 for $53m, in no-bid contracts with the UK-based manufacturer ATSC.

According to ATSC’s promotional material, the device is said to work on the principle of "electrostatic magnetic ion attraction". The ADE 651 consists of a swiveling antenna mounted via a hinge to a plastic handgrip. It requires no battery or other power source, its manufacturer stating that it is powered solely by the user's static electricity. To use the device, the operator must walk for a few moments to "charge" it before holding it at right angles to the body.

The Iraqi government paid up to $60,000 for the devices despite the purchase price being put at around $18,500. The Iraqi Army's Baghdad Operations Command announced in November 2009 that it had purchased another hundred of the devices.

Jim McCormick, Managing Director of ATSC has said that the devices were sold for $8,000 each, with the balance of the cost going on training and middlemen. According to CBS News at the time, the training included instructions to Iraqi users to "shuffle their feet to generate static electricity to make the things work."

According to an associate of ATSC, the devices were manufactured at a cost of $250 each by suppliers in Britain and Romania. The associate told The New York Times: "Everyone at ATSC knew there was nothing inside the ADE 651."

The use of the ADE 651 has prompted strong criticism and eventually led to a ban on the device's export from the UK to Iraq and Afghanistan and a criminal investigation of its manufacturer.

The Iraqi security forces' reliance on the device was highlighted by a New York Times investigation in November 2009, which reported that United States military and technical experts believed the device was useless.

The U.S. military revealed last year in a report that most of the explosives detectors imported by the Iraqi government were not valid for use and the contracts included financial corruption.

The Iraqi government subsequently formed an investigation committee to investigate the reality of what was published in the media, and the committee concluded that some of the equipment used for detecting explosives used at security checkpoints does not work and decided to return the ineffective devices immediately.

Reported by Saman Dazzayi

Rn/Ka/AKnews

http://www.aknews.com/en/aknews/2/215327/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EXMO affiliate program

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.