Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Thoughts on a recent article about showing one's faith.

Nelg

(I wanted to place this in the article about the young man, Tebow. By the time I returned to the forum and wrote these words, the article was gone. I'm sure it's in here some place.)

I have, for a while, resisted coming into this thread because of the title. However, I decided to enter because of the number of people who have posted. Profanity does not shock nor offended me. I am human and have heard worst from supposedly religious people. God, however, is offended, and not because He has not heard the insults, blasphemies, and foulness of the human mind; but because He is holy.

Any Christian needs to be prepared for the ridicule and disgusting words that comes from those who are unbelievers. Such diatribes and lashing out at the saints are to be totally expected. Unbelievers have been persecuting the believer since faith in God entered the world. The prophets of God were killed, maimed, imprisoned, beaten, and deprived of their rights. Christians were rejected, beaten, crucified, and scorned by unbelievers, and that continues even today. Christians face the same ignorance by unbelieving minds all throughout history. So why do we think it should be any different today? Jesus said that if they hated Him, they would hate the Christian also.

But the question is not what happens to us, but how we respond to what happens. That is, what happens in us when we are being threatened or persecuted? The expectation is that we run and hide, take it on the chin because we are weak, or respond in kind. Sometimes it is best to run and not be tempted to plant your foot in someone’s mouth; we do take it on the chin and not say a word; and, there are occasions, sad to say, when I have responded in kind. And, these three responses are the normal reaction. But there are far better ways of responding.

The mentality (spirit) of the Christian has been changed and when someone does something bad to us or says something evil about us, the saint responds in love not hate, kindness not bitterness, pray not words of rebuke, and yielding not resistance. I know this is contrary to our training in this world, but we are not of this world! We belong to a greater kingdom and follow Christ and not the world order. Christians seek the highest good for every person. Fighting the good fight of faith is not retaliating in kind, but confessing even in the midst of death that we believe in Jesus as Lord and Christ. We serve a different Master than the unbeliever.

If someone wants to harm the Christian, the Christian is ready to suffer for the Christ. But even when we suffer for being a believer and living righteously, we are still blessed; we still rejoice. When Christ is sanctified in the saint’s heart, then we react with any intimidation or fear.

Tim Tebow doesn’t really care what others think about him. He just keeps doing what he should do: showing his faith in God!

Let me see if I can clear up something that has been implied about the Christian. First, nowhere in the Scriptures do you find that believers believe in “freedom of religion.” That is a concept of government and not Christianity. Now as a citizen of the United States, I will uphold the Constitution and fight for your right to believe what you want to believe. As a Christian, I will try my best to teach you to become a child of God, a Christian. As a citizen, I believe in your right (and mine) of free speech, but freedom is not granted to destroy someone with lies. In such a case I / you will have abused our freedom. Sharing faith is not an abuse of freedom. I will fight for your right to be a Muslim, Buddhist, Atheist, or anything you want to be. The moment I take away your freedom as a citizen then I have lost that freedom for myself. But there is a big difference between my citizenship in the U.S.A. and my citizenship in Christ’s kingdom. I am always a Christian first.

Second, there is but one faith and that is a belief that Jesus is God in the flesh. To state that a believer in Christ must accept that all religions are true is a total misunderstanding of Christianity. The idea that one religion is just as good as another is a belief fostered by men and not God. There is but one faith, and one God, and only one way to be saved, and that is through Jesus Christ, and Christ alone! To believe in many gods and many ways to get to heaven is the thinking of the unbeliever and reveals a lack of understanding of Christ and the Scripture.

• Upvote 14

My only question about what you wrote, my friend, is why you would think this would be in any way offensive to non-believers? It is a personal testimony of your faith and is both well written and sincere. I personally find it very touching and morally uplifting. You are a shining example of being a soldier of Christ.

Well said! :)

• Upvote 2

I appreciate your post. I have one area that I question and it might just be because of exposure to some less that Christian examples. I am a believer. There is no question on that part. I also believe that when it comes to Christian behavior that people look at an external criteria over and above the internal leading of the Holy Spirit. With this said, I believe that there are those who are prevented from going to war or shedding blood. This was experienced by Solomon who was given the task of rebuilding the Temple and was prevented by God to shed blood. Then there was David who according to Psalms was taught the art of war by God Himself. The Sermon on the Mount could be said to be distinctive of a particular time and place for a people of an occupied land by a hostile force. To fight against the Romans would have been suicide and so the only course was to submit. Likewise in the book of Luke Christ says that there is coming a time in which if a person has two cloaks he is to sell one and buy a sword. The sword was an item of self defense. Too many times the focus is upon pacifism and not the calling of God upon a person. This is vital to point out since there are some very godly men and women in the armed forces as well in law enforcement. God gives many gifts and, speaking from experience, to deal with people's safety and to keep the peace even in the face of violence, takes a gift from God. Christ did not rebuke Peter for having a sword, He rebuked him for interferring with His purpose of being a Sacrifice.

• Upvote 1

My only question about what you wrote, my friend, is why you would think this would be in any way offensive to non-believers? It is a personal testimony of your faith and is both well written and sincere. I personally find it very touching and morally uplifting. You are a shining example of being a soldier of Christ.

Well said! smile.gif

Tiffany, I'm not trying to speak for Nelg, but the fact or crux of the matter is that this world despises God and our Lord Jesus. they don't know Him or do they like Him. Nelg has given a true and pure description of what it takes and the truth of what you must believe to be saved but most will not accept as they believe that they can save themselves or whatever nonsense they can come up with to be saved. When one stands up for this truth, he is persecuted or harassed for rightousness sake.

Nelg, I did not read the Tbow article just for the reasons you mentioned. I thank you for bringing Jesus's words and living out His truths that He gave us on the Mt. I love reading the Beatitudes, especially when I need to examine myself again....and yes I need to daily.....God bless you

Tiffany, I'm not trying to speak for Nelg, but the fact or crux of the matter is that this world despises God and our Lord Jesus. they don't know Him or do they like Him. Nelg has given a true and pure description of what it takes and the truth of what you must believe to be saved but most will not accept as they believe that they can save themselves or whatever nonsense they can come up with to be saved. When one stands up for this truth, he is persecuted or harassed for rightousness sake.

Nelg, I did not read the Tbow article just for the reasons you mentioned. I thank you for bringing Jesus's words and living out His truths that He gave us on the Mt. I love reading the Beatitudes, especially when I need to examine myself again....and yes I need to daily.....God bless you

• Upvote 2

for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. There is none who doeth good and sinneth not, no not one. There is none righteous no not one, He who is without sin let him cast the first stone, if any man says he has not sinned he is a liar and the truth is not in him. We are all sinners. All of us. Our attempts at righteousness are characterized in scripture as filthy rags. God clothed manifested Himself in flesh and gave His life so that we through His supreme sacrifice would have hope. God made a way through baptism in Jesus name that our sins would be remitted. Without the shedding of blood there is no remission. He took care of that on calvary. He then revealed to us how to appropriate remission of sins in

Acts 2:38. When you are being persecuted by government for being a Christian you are taught in scripture and by Christs example to take it for the Lord's sake. When you are defending your home or loved ones you have every right to do what is necessary to be protected. Jesus said my kingdom is not of this world or me and my servants would fight. He was speaking of the Kingdom of God not man. David was guilty in the Bible of killing the husband of Bathsheba. He had innocent blood on his hands. He could not build the temple because of this. Solomon had several men killed or put to death one who went to the temple and took hold of the horns of the alter trying to preserve his life but Solomon said kill him. He died. Solomon was a king in OT times he killed and he had people killed. He was not guilty of innocent blood like his father David was though. David repented and his repentance was accepted of the Lord. His sin had far reaching repercussions though. He paid for that sin in enormous ways. Be not deceived God is not mocked whatsoever a man soweth that shall he also reap. And to balance that is the cross and the blood of Jesus. There is a plan of salvation. If you were conscripted in Jesus time you were to be a good soldier. As a Christian the very best soldier. Cornelius was a soldier. To the men and women in the military you have my admiration to the Christian men and women in the military you have admiration and my heartswelling tear stained cheek love. Thank you for protecting me and my children. The only unforgiveable sin is the one you have not repented of. I love you all. Protect our constitution our freedom our America. When it comes time to fight our enemies know that I am one who will be fighting alongside of you in the trenches on the front lines until my blood flows from my body on American soil.

• Upvote 1

First and foremost Nelg, thank you so much for sharing your faith with us.

You are a person of God with great dedication.

And everyone thereafter... your post's as well have struck a cord with me.

This is where I come for that extra strength and courage of faith... that I need on the days of feeling a little low.

I'm like a sponge, I absorb the Word of God deep into my soul. You all are great in passing your knowledge of faith.

Thanks DV family. :hug:

• Upvote 1

No religion is the correct religion. Jesus never started a Baptist Church, nor a Presbyterian Church. The Bible simply speaks of “the Church.” The Body of Christ is composed of saved people, i.e., born-again people, from all around the world. There are Christians who are Methodist, and others who are Baptist; but it is NOT the religious denomination that gets them to Heaven. If all you ever do is have churchianity without Christianity, then you're in serious trouble when you die. Salvation is NOT found in any religion; but rather, in a Person—The Lord Jesus Christ!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

No religion is the correct religion. Jesus never started a Baptist Church, nor a Presbyterian Church. The Bible simply speaks of “the Church.” The Body of Christ is composed of saved people, i.e., born-again people, from all around the world. There are Christians who are Methodist, and others who are Baptist; but it is NOT the religious denomination that gets them to Heaven. If all you ever do is have churchianity without Christianity, then you're in serious trouble when you die. Salvation is NOT found in any religion; but rather, in a Person—The Lord Jesus Christ!

+1000

• Upvote 3

I appreciate your post. I have one area that I question and it might just be because of exposure to some less that Christian examples. I am a believer. There is no question on that part. I also believe that when it comes to Christian behavior that people look at an external criteria over and above the internal leading of the Holy Spirit. With this said, I believe that there are those who are prevented from going to war or shedding blood. This was experienced by Solomon who was given the task of rebuilding the Temple and was prevented by God to shed blood. Then there was David who according to Psalms was taught the art of war by God Himself. The Sermon on the Mount could be said to be distinctive of a particular time and place for a people of an occupied land by a hostile force. To fight against the Romans would have been suicide and so the only course was to submit. Likewise in the book of Luke Christ says that there is coming a time in which if a person has two cloaks he is to sell one and buy a sword. The sword was an item of self defense. Too many times the focus is upon pacifism and not the calling of God upon a person. This is vital to point out since there are some very godly men and women in the armed forces as well in law enforcement. God gives many gifts and, speaking from experience, to deal with people's safety and to keep the peace even in the face of violence, takes a gift from God. Christ did not rebuke Peter for having a sword, He rebuked him for interferring with His purpose of being a Sacrifice.

Certainly you are correct in what you have said. Especially since those in the armed forces and police are appointed for that very purpose (Romans 13). My point is that when we are Christians and are not in the role the military or officer of the law, then we have no right to take the law into our own hands. They are the "minister of God" to you for good. But if we do what is evil, we need to be afraid. Peter says that if we are persecuted for doing evil, then that does not glorify God. If we are persecuted for doing righteousness, then we glorify His name.

Thanks for your comments. God bless.

Well said! :)

Thanks Tiffany23. I appreciate your confidence. I don't see myself in that light, but thank you.

• Upvote 1

for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. There is none who doeth good and sinneth not, no not one. There is none righteous no not one, He who is without sin let him cast the first stone, if any man says he has not sinned he is a liar and the truth is not in him. We are all sinners. All of us. Our attempts at righteousness are characterized in scripture as filthy rags. God clothed manifested Himself in flesh and gave His life so that we through His supreme sacrifice would have hope. God made a way through baptism in Jesus name that our sins would be remitted. Without the shedding of blood there is no remission. He took care of that on calvary. He then revealed to us how to appropriate remission of sins in

Acts 2:38. When you are being persecuted by government for being a Christian you are taught in scripture and by Christs example to take it for the Lord's sake. When you are defending your home or loved ones you have every right to do what is necessary to be protected. Jesus said my kingdom is not of this world or me and my servants would fight. He was speaking of the Kingdom of God not man. David was guilty in the Bible of killing the husband of Bathsheba. He had innocent blood on his hands. He could not build the temple because of this. Solomon had several men killed or put to death one who went to the temple and took hold of the horns of the alter trying to preserve his life but Solomon said kill him. He died. Solomon was a king in OT times he killed and he had people killed. He was not guilty of innocent blood like his father David was though. David repented and his repentance was accepted of the Lord. His sin had far reaching repercussions though. He paid for that sin in enormous ways. Be not deceived God is not mocked whatsoever a man soweth that shall he also reap. And to balance that is the cross and the blood of Jesus. There is a plan of salvation. If you were conscripted in Jesus time you were to be a good soldier. As a Christian the very best soldier. Cornelius was a soldier. To the men and women in the military you have my admiration to the Christian men and women in the military you have admiration and my heartswelling tear stained cheek love. Thank you for protecting me and my children. The only unforgiveable sin is the one you have not repented of. I love you all. Protect our constitution our freedom our America. When it comes time to fight our enemies know that I am one who will be fighting alongside of you in the trenches on the front lines until my blood flows from my body on American soil.

Amen. I totally agree. Again my point is how we respond when we are persecuted for being a believer. If it came to a point where I was ask to choose between being a soldier and doing my duty and arrest Christians for assembling to worship or for doing good, I would strip off the uniform quicker than you could say, I believe. If they were doing wrong by breaking civil law, I would participate in arresting them. (I know I mixed being a soldier and police officer into one.)

First and foremost Nelg, thank you so much for sharing your faith with us.

You are a person of God with great dedication.

And everyone thereafter... your post's as well have struck a cord with me.

This is where I come for that extra strength and courage of faith... that I need on the days of feeling a little low.

I'm like a sponge, I absorb the Word of God deep into my soul. You all are great in passing your knowledge of faith.

Thanks DV family. :hug:

PattyAngel, thank you for your encouraging words. All I want to do is to cause people to think and consider Jesus Christ. He is the only one that makes a difference in your life. Look to Him and not to men. Read the word of God diligently. You will not understand it all, but you will begin to see the story of redemption through every book. He is your strength, comfort, and power in life. God bless.

Couldn't have said it better. The point of distinction is do we believe the teaching of Christ or the teaching of man? At one time I was in the latter group, full of religion but not full of Christ. Still working on it. The Spirit is not through with me yet.

Thanks Dogmatic1.

• Upvote 1

Amen. I totally agree. Again my point is how we respond when we are persecuted for being a believer. If it came to a point where I was ask to choose between being a soldier and doing my duty and arrest Christians for assembling to worship or for doing good, I would strip off the uniform quicker than you could say, I believe. If they were doing wrong by breaking civil law, I would participate in arresting them. (I know I mixed being a soldier and police officer into one.)

PattyAngel, thank you for your encouraging words. All I want to do is to cause people to think and consider Jesus Christ. He is the only one that makes a difference in your life. Look to Him and not to men. Read the word of God diligently. You will not understand it all, but you will begin to see the story of redemption through every book. He is your strength, comfort, and power in life. God bless.

Couldn't have said it better. The point of distinction is do we believe the teaching of Christ or the teaching of man? At one time I was in the latter group, full of religion but not full of Christ. Still working on it. The Spirit is not through with me yet.

Thanks Dogmatic1.

Exactly, none of us have arrived! But, one of the many things Jesus also gives us along with his gracious and absolute PRECIOUS gift of salvation is the gift of discernment. I grew up Catholic and even at a very young age (which of course, makes sense-we are much purer when young), I detested the confessional. My mother would always nudge me to go to confession and of course I would. So, I would sit there and tell the priest all of my varied sins for the week (saying no to my mother, not cleaning my room, cutting my sister's eyelashes off - in order to make her more beautiful - haha - she still blames me for her short, nubby eyelashes, today Sorry sis, sad.gif ) and then he would whisper some mumbo jumbo and with a shush of his hand usher me off to a statue of Mother Mary to say my numerous collection of prayers (and you don't just recite 1 of each prayer, it was always 2 or 3 Hail Mary's and 4 or 5 "Our Father's or The Father's" prayers, etc. - as if God didn't hear it said the first time. After awhile, I thought it was complete nonsense. Not once, did I ever go before the statues and believe in my heart that what I was doing was right. So, I decided to pray each night before God and ask for forgivness...I felt better, it made me feel clean. I knew then, this was the correct way to repent. I quit going to the confessional and would still take communion. My mother got mad at me the first time. She told me "You didn't go to confession, you know you can't take communion". I told her, "I did go to confession, last night in prayer to GOD". She said "That's good, but You must also take it to the priest". I said "Why, he is a man and has no power over God to forgive". She then said "Your'e right, but don't let the priest know that". I knew in my heart that the traditions and formalities in the Catholic Church were just pompous acts to show the world that we were righteous. Needless to say, I did not stay catholic for very long. I am a Christian of the Baptist denomination, but, with that said, still have difficulty in finding a Church that preaches truth without prejudice. When I say that, I mean specifically " the men of God" preaching the word of God yet interjecting their perspectives/prejudices due to their own upbringing. When this happens, I feel God prick my heart, letting me know that the interpretation may not be entirely right. Even though, I live in the "bible belt", where there is a church on every street corner, I can never seem to find a perfect church. Either too casual or too judgemental. That's why I think people of light precious faith - those who believe that Jesus is God, and believe with their heart can come from different religions and be in the Kingdom of God. Once you are truly saved, you hear him and you know what HE says is truth. Now, I'm not saying that the "men of God" are not saved (some may not be), but I will say that I believe at times, their position in the church allows them to believe, they are larger than the WORD itself or perhaps it's their sinful nature that redirects the message of the Gospel. I don't know, but I do know, when the message isn't quite right - Jesus let's me know! smile.gif Also, I should interject, I'm not always hearing God, correctly, either. Sometimes our own desires may lead the message that God has for us, astray or off the intended course. I have made that mistake, far too many times. Going through that hard lesson, now. Whatever the message is, don't let man or your own desires interfere with the message. I have learned that lesson, by that, my TOTAL faith is in God, now.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Hey, Dogmatic1,

I read your post with a great deal of interest. You seem to be following a path to find the true meaning of faith. Paul, the apostle, makes a statement that underscores what you are saying. "Let God be found true and every man a liar." That is, don't put your trust in man, but trust God. I believe every doctrine found in the New Testament is important to life and faith. Every doctrine introduced into the life of the church can be rejected or changed. That might sound a little hard to someone who is steeped in tradition and have been for years, but nonetheless tradition is a product of human beings and not God.

I think you will find many churches teaching the wonders of God, ethical and moral living, or how to remain joyful through difficult times. And these are good and helpful things to teach or apply to ones life. But when it comes to the fundamental, basic, uncompromising faith in Christ they have a tendency to shy away from those areas. Why? Basically because these teachings are too restrictive and can be exclusive rather than inclusive and pluralistic. When I say that Christ is the God come in the flesh and that there is no salvation outside of Christ, that is exclusive. Christ did not come just to make a contribution to the religious storehouse of knowledge. The revelation which he brought is the ultimate standard. Since in Christ alone is salvation and truth, many religious paths do not reflect the way of God and do no lead to truth and life. Jesus is not, therefore, just the greatest Lord and Master that ever lived, there is not other lord besides Him. It is this exclusivity that pulpits shy away from preaching, because it makes a separation and the majority of churches or religions are pushing the inclusion of every one and every thing. That can't be correct.

Got to go.

Thanks for your posts. And may God fill your life with love.

Nelg

• Upvote 2

Nelg- good post my Rhino man... gotta have thick skin to walk this path sometimes!wink.gif

snapback.pngDogmatic1, on 06 January 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

Can't say it any better than that sister... good job, no... great job!tip_hat.gif

I was also raised Catholic and I can relate to everything you said.... we are still on a journey, to find truth, and we won't rest until we meet him (Jesus Christ) face to face.

I don't like promoting books much, after all, everyone is at a different place in their walk at different times. However, I am reading a very challenging book "Beautiful Outlaw" by John Eldredge. All I have to say is if we think we know who Jesus is, we need to really look again, with new eyes. He will just keep surprising us with His humanness, His humor, His intensity... He is not the granola bar, vegetarian, pacifist that so many folks make Him out to be. Lest I really get going that's enough for now.

Thanks for sharing you two... awesome!

th_smiley_two_thumbs_up.gif Blessings - Rod

Edited by RodandStaff
  • Upvote 1

Hey, Dogmatic1,

I read your post with a great deal of interest. You seem to be following a path to find the true meaning of faith. Paul, the apostle, makes a statement that underscores what you are saying. "Let God be found true and every man a liar." That is, don't put your trust in man, but trust God. I believe every doctrine found in the New Testament is important to life and faith. Every doctrine introduced into the life of the church can be rejected or changed. That might sound a little hard to someone who is steeped in tradition and have been for years, but nonetheless tradition is a product of human beings and not God.

I think you will find many churches teaching the wonders of God, ethical and moral living, or how to remain joyful through difficult times. And these are good and helpful things to teach or apply to ones life. But when it comes to the fundamental, basic, uncompromising faith in Christ they have a tendency to shy away from those areas. Why? Basically because these teachings are too restrictive and can be exclusive rather than inclusive and pluralistic. When I say that Christ is the God come in the flesh and that there is no salvation outside of Christ, that is exclusive. Christ did not come just to make a contribution to the religious storehouse of knowledge. The revelation which he brought is the ultimate standard. Since in Christ alone is salvation and truth, many religious paths do not reflect the way of God and do no lead to truth and life. Jesus is not, therefore, just the greatest Lord and Master that ever lived, there is not other lord besides Him. It is this exclusivity that pulpits shy away from preaching, because it makes a separation and the majority of churches or religions are pushing the inclusion of every one and every thing. That can't be correct.

Got to go.

Thanks for your posts. And may God fill your life with love.

Nelg

Yeah, I know what you are saying. I just, recently, quit going to a church that I attended for 6 years. Went every Sunday morning and evening and also Wednesday evenings. I also attended a lady's prayer meeting, once a month. I really loved the church and the people. I learned alot, our pastor was very good at delivering messages, however there were some things quite major, I never agreed with. Finally something happened (without going into detail) that upset me. When I brought it up to the pastor, he tried talking around the situation and playing innocent. Never admitting he was at fault. I finally decided, I had enough and left the church. I am currently looking for a new church, I realize that no one church is perfect and I can live with that. Thank you for starting this thread. I decided to take an opportunity to sing gospel with a band. I want to serve Christ, and the best way I know, now is through my God-given talents. I had been putting off the decision for sometime. At the current time, this band doesn't really know when they will be starting, but it should be within the next few months. Thank you and God bless you.

Nelg- good post my Rhino man... gotta have thick skin to walk this path sometimes!wink.gif

snapback.pngDogmatic1, on 06 January 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

Can't say it any better than that sister... good job, no... great job!tip_hat.gif

I was also raised Catholic and I can relate to everything you said.... we are still on a journey, to find truth, and we won't rest until we meet him (Jesus Christ) face to face.

I don't like promoting books much, after all, everyone is at a different place in their walk at different times. However, I am reading a very challenging book "Beautiful Outlaw" by John Eldredge. All I have to say is if we think we know who Jesus is, we need to really look again, with new eyes. He will just keep surprising us with His humanness, His humor, His intensity... He is not the granola bar, vegetarian, pacifist that so many folks make Him out to be. Lest I really get going that's enough for now.

Thanks for sharing you two... awesome!

th_smiley_two_thumbs_up.gif Blessings - Rod

Thank you Rod! You are a blessing! I will look into the book, it sounds wonderful! God bless you!

• Downvote 1

I found this article about the Catholic Church a while back. Anyone Catholic needs to take a long hard look at their Church Leadership and what they are teaching. They are not teaching Salvation through Jesus, they're teaching Salvation through Mary.

CONSECRATION TO THE IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY

"Consecration to the Mother of God," says Pope Pius XII, "is a total gift of self, for the whole of life and for all eternity; and a gift which is not a mere formality or sentimentality, but effectual, comprising the full intensity of the Christian life - Marian life." This consecration, the Pope explained, "tends essentially to union with Jesus, under the guidance of Mary."

By our consecration we promise to become dependent on Mary in all things: to offer all our prayers and oblations to God through Mary, and to seek every gift from God through Mary. And we do this with the greatest confidence. Since she is our mother, she knows our needs better than we; and since she is Queen of Heaven, she has immediate access to the infinite treasury of graces in the Kingdom of her Divine Son.

Mary is not only the Mother of Jesus, Son of the Eternal Father; she is also Mother of all the Father's adopted children. As their Mother, she has been given the role of molding them into the likeness of Jesus.

Every work of grace, every increase of grace, is a work of the Holy Spirit; but as in the Incarnation of the Divine Word God used human instruments, so does He in the sanctification of each individual soul. As He chose Mary as the instrument through whom He would come to us, so He chose Mary as the instrument through whom we should go to Him. And both the mystery of God coming to us through Mary, and our being led to God through Mary, is a work of the Holy Spirit. So when we speak of Mary's unique role in our sanctification, she is but the instrument the Holy Spirit uses in sharing with us the divine life of grace. It is in this sense that Mary fashions us into the likeness of Christ.

However, that this transformation - through Mary's help - be accomplished in a notable degree, there must be an awareness of her role in our sanctification, a confidence in her maternal concern and in her power under God, a surrender of oneself into her hands, and a fervent, frequent and confident seeking of her aid. This usually comes through some form of consecration to the Mother of God.

Read More

-

• Upvote 1

(I wanted to place this in the article about the young man, Tebow. By the time I returned to the forum and wrote these words, the article was gone. I'm sure it's in here some place.)

I have, for a while, resisted coming into this thread because of the title. However, I decided to enter because of the number of people who have posted. Profanity does not shock nor offended me. I am human and have heard worst from supposedly religious people. God, however, is offended, and not because He has not heard the insults, blasphemies, and foulness of the human mind; but because He is holy.

Any Christian needs to be prepared for the ridicule and disgusting words that comes from those who are unbelievers. Such diatribes and lashing out at the saints are to be totally expected. Unbelievers have been persecuting the believer since faith in God entered the world. The prophets of God were killed, maimed, imprisoned, beaten, and deprived of their rights. Christians were rejected, beaten, crucified, and scorned by unbelievers, and that continues even today. Christians face the same ignorance by unbelieving minds all throughout history. So why do we think it should be any different today? Jesus said that if they hated Him, they would hate the Christian also.

But the question is not what happens to us, but how we respond to what happens. That is, what happens in us when we are being threatened or persecuted? The expectation is that we run and hide, take it on the chin because we are weak, or respond in kind. Sometimes it is best to run and not be tempted to plant your foot in someone’s mouth; we do take it on the chin and not say a word; and, there are occasions, sad to say, when I have responded in kind. And, these three responses are the normal reaction. But there are far better ways of responding.

The mentality (spirit) of the Christian has been changed and when someone does something bad to us or says something evil about us, the saint responds in love not hate, kindness not bitterness, pray not words of rebuke, and yielding not resistance. I know this is contrary to our training in this world, but we are not of this world! We belong to a greater kingdom and follow Christ and not the world order. Christians seek the highest good for every person. Fighting the good fight of faith is not retaliating in kind, but confessing even in the midst of death that we believe in Jesus as Lord and Christ. We serve a different Master than the unbeliever.

If someone wants to harm the Christian, the Christian is ready to suffer for the Christ. But even when we suffer for being a believer and living righteously, we are still blessed; we still rejoice. When Christ is sanctified in the saint’s heart, then we react with any intimidation or fear.

Tim Tebow doesn’t really care what others think about him. He just keeps doing what he should do: showing his faith in God!

Let me see if I can clear up something that has been implied about the Christian. First, nowhere in the Scriptures do you find that believers believe in “freedom of religion.” That is a concept of government and not Christianity. Now as a citizen of the United States, I will uphold the Constitution and fight for your right to believe what you want to believe. As a Christian, I will try my best to teach you to become a child of God, a Christian. As a citizen, I believe in your right (and mine) of free speech, but freedom is not granted to destroy someone with lies. In such a case I / you will have abused our freedom. Sharing faith is not an abuse of freedom. I will fight for your right to be a Muslim, Buddhist, Atheist, or anything you want to be. The moment I take away your freedom as a citizen then I have lost that freedom for myself. But there is a big difference between my citizenship in the U.S.A. and my citizenship in Christ’s kingdom. I am always a Christian first.

Second, there is but one faith and that is a belief that Jesus is God in the flesh. To state that a believer in Christ must accept that all religions are true is a total misunderstanding of Christianity. The idea that one religion is just as good as another is a belief fostered by men and not God. There is but one faith, and one God, and only one way to be saved, and that is through Jesus Christ, and Christ alone! To believe in many gods and many ways to get to heaven is the thinking of the unbeliever and reveals a lack of understanding of Christ and the Scripture.

Great post NELG, I gave you a +!

I happen to love Tim Tebow, not only because I am a BRONCO fan(learned to enjoy football cause my husband is a Colo. native and die hard Bronco fan). But even more important, as you alluded to, Tim is a Christian and doesn't care about what others think. I believe that this is so critical...so many people, especially our young ones, really look up to sports figures and the message that Tim sends is soooo important, especially now in this day and time. I pray for Tim to be exhalted, cause his actions will bring some to Christ.It's really funny how he was the talk of the nation in the media cause of his football as well as his TEBOWING. I have also noticed how his teemmates have seemingly embraced his faith, at least on the field, as they look to be praying together in a few huddles that I have noticed. Last week, when a Bronco got hurt on the field, you couls see his teammates huddled together in prayer. What a witness for our Lord!!! How proud his parents must be...No matter what happens on the field, he has certainly brought a national awareness to the Christian faith. So gooo Broncos!!!

NELG, I would love to meet you, as well as many other believers on this site(I would love to meet non-believers too, but I have a passion for Christianity) I hope that you plan on attending some post RV function so we can chat....God Bless,Cat (WEALTHHOUND)

DESIMO, I just read your post, and if I can ask, I don't understand the point that you are trying to bring?