Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

THIS is what the Second Amendment is about.

Aces-n-Eights

”The world is filled with violence.Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.” ~James Earl Jones

”As a card-carrying member of the liberal media, producing this piece was an eye opening experience. I have to admit that I saw guns as inherently evil, violence begets violence, and so on. I have learned, however, that in trained hands, just the presence of a gun can be a real “man stopper.” I am sorry that women have had to resort to this, but wishing it wasn’t so won’t make it any safer out there.” ~Jill Fieldstein

”I sympathize with people who want to ban guns, but I can’t agree with them. We have to be careful in our zeal to abolishguns that we don’t wind up with counter-productive legislation that will leave armed only the people most likely to do harm with them.”

~Hugh Downs

”The Constitutionshall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who arepeaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” ~Samuel Adams, 1722-1803

“Good people do not needlaws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.” ~Plato, 429–347 B.C

"Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum _est" ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool in the killer's hands") Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

"There exists a law, not written down anywhere, but in our hearts; a law which comes to us not by training or custom or reading; a law which has come to us not from theory but from practice; not by instruction but by natural intuition: I refer to the law which lays it down that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right." MarcusTullius Cicero (106 BC-43 BC)

"...the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." Gen.6:5

They band guns in England, but the criminals are having a great time now, as they know people cant defend themselfs. And if you do defend yourself from say an intruder and you injure of even kill him, your the one who gets a court apperance in England and quite possibly prison. Criminals dont care about the law, it only affects us good folk. Do you think the getaway driver at a bank holdup is worried that he does not have his seat belt on? :blink:

• Upvote 1

curious as to why ***** was blocked out??? any ventures? as in ***** and trap that is an sk two ee's and a t...not a dirty word...guess a programming error as it is listed in the dictionary as what it is supposed to be...shooting clay pigeons

Thanks for the stats, but those are from 15 years ago and longer. Many things can change in that amount of time.

I think it's relevant to compare the same time frame that Tiff was posting. But your welcome!

I respect others opinions but try to respectfully disagree on some issues such as this one ... statistics don't always tell it all...there are far more deaths by accidents in hospitals and by pharmaceutcals each year than by guns...and knives, clubs, strangulation, baseball bats, and hands are lethal means of killing people...and suicide...lets look at carbon monoxide, sleeping and pain pills, wrist slashing, etc....bottom line if you want somebody killed you can even drown them in a kitchen sink...suicide, people eat their selves to death every day...how about just drinking enough diet drinks with aspartame...guns are used for sporting clays (***** and trap), hunting, plinking, law enforcement, national security and of course home protection...my children were taught fire arm safety as soon as they could comprehend danger and as adults they are responsible users....

when Cain killed Abel, Smith and Wesson had not quite perfected their first pistol....too many people have been killed with every conceivable method to single out guns...bottom line gun control is about disarming a nation of people whose ancestors blood paid for the freedom now enjoyed...it AIN'T about protecting the innocent!!!!! It's a one step before the next step then the finale...look at the countries that introduced gun control...crime increased immediately with guns thanks to criminals having them and citizens not having them....my wife used a gun on 3 separate occasions to discorage dummies that thought it wise to confront a lady home alone..one was breaking in the front door as she slipped around the house and shot him off the front porch...what his intent was, who knows...it probably wasn't to use the phone...to me gun control means having a firm grip and a good aim!....cheers

th_smiley_two_thumbs_up.gif

I posted the You Tube video at comment # 22

Sorry, must have been typing my comments in when you were posting yours, got interrupted and never got it posted right away. Good article though! B)

Dudes/Duddetts,

You have brought up some good arguments based on personal experiences and your own stats. Many of you are my friends or atleast on friendly terms with me, so I don't want to push my luck.

Now, I will go to the carpet on some topics like minority rights...but the 2nd Amendment is definitely not one of those subjects. I have about as much chance of convince you to change the 2nd Amendment as you do of having me want to change the1st Amendment.

So if you will pardon me, I will wander off to another subject and let you good people enjoy discussing this issue in peace and quiet! :P

There are some topics that really strike a nerve with people and they will vehemently defend there position no matter what evidence is provided. I enjoy reading other opinions on a lot of this stuff and everyone is entitled to their opinions and both sides usually have some pretty good points. The cool part about the USA, and the reason I love it so much, is even if people completely disagree on certain issues to the point it breaks out into a bar room brawl, when the time comes we will all stand together as Americans, because if we don't we will fall. Thanks for the great post. B)

• Upvote 1

Many of you were kind enough to let me know you appreciate my point of view...and likewise. Isn't it amazing what we can learn from each other if we are open minded and wiling to look at other's point of view?

Which got me to thinking. I believe the majority of you are white males, probably +40 years of age, and grew up in the country or small towns, many in the south. A lot of you have served in our military. Thus, when I think of your upbringing, I can certainly understand your point of view.

May I ask that you take a few moments to think of how other Americans live? Think of the millions of minorities, living in large cities, ghettos, where crime is an every day event. I had a friend that lived in south Chicago and she said that it was slow week when she didn't hear at least 5 gun shots.

So put yourself in the shoes of a young black girl that has two children living in south Detroit. Your unemployed partner, who is not the father of your kids, comes home night after night drunk or high, spending the rent/food allowance on drugs. And he owns a gun. You have no one that will put you up and he is starting to get abusive towards both you and your kids. Now what?

This is reality for millions of young mothers.

It's easy to make a decision based on what you have personally encountered, but think of those who live on the other side of the tracks. :blink:

I realize he could attack with a knife or club, but again, one has a lot better chance of outrunning a knife vs a bullet.

Edited by Tiffany23
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Many of you were kind enough to let me know you appreciate my point of view...and likewise. Isn't it amazing what we can learn from each other if we are open minded and wiling to look at other's point of view?

Which got me to thinking. I believe the majority of you are white males, probably +40 years of age, and grew up in the country or small towns, many in the south. A lot of you have served in our military. Thus, when I think of your upbringing, I can certainly understand your point of view.

May I ask that you take a few moments to think of how other Americans live? Think of the millions of minorities, living in large cities, ghettos, where crime is an every day event. I had a friend that lived in south Chicago and she said that it was slow week when she didn't hear at least 5 gun shots.

So put yourself in the shoes of a young black girl that has two children living in south Detroit. Your unemployed partner, who is not the father of your kids, comes home night after night drunk or high, spending the rent/food allowance on drugs. And he owns a gun. You have no one that will put you up and he is starting to get abusive towards both you and your kids. Now what?

This is reality for millions of young mothers.

It's easy to make a decision based on what you have personally encountered, but think of those who live on the other side of the tracks. :blink:

I realize he could attack with a knife or club, but again, one has a lot better chance of outrunning a knife vs a bullet.

Tiff, all of us gun loving nuts! :P would totally agree with you that in the situations you are describing these guys shouldn't have a gun. Actually there is to me no greater scum on this planet then someone who would abuse a woman or a child, and in these cases I would be happy to use my gun to put a bullet right between their eyes, well after I beat them down a bit so they could get a taste of their own medicine! You have a good one, Oh and you nailed me on the head :lol: just under 40, white, have total respect and thankfulness for our military, grew up in a small town, despise the city, (born in Omaha) love the south (not the humidity) so I live in the north and vacation in the south, and love the great outdoors! Just another God fearing, gun loving christian who believes God doesn't make junk and all in all people are good! B)

Edited by DiveDeepSix
  • Upvote 1

Did you guys catch that article about the 18 year old woman and her baby in Oklahoma just yesterday I think. 2 guys were breaking into her trailer house with a knife and she had 911 on the phone when the one guy broke thru and came at her and her baby with the knife right before she blew him away with a shotgun.

Yes we did catch that article

I posted the You Tube video at comment # 22

I'm pretty sure that how this thread was started on #1

Now, I will go to the carpet on some topics like minority rights...but the 2nd Amendment is definitely not one of those subjects. I have about as much chance of convince you to change the 2nd Amendment as you do of having me want to change the1st Amendment.

I hope and pray that you never get caught in a situation like the young lady did

• Upvote 1

I think it's relevant to compare the same time frame that Tiff was posting. But your welcome!

Sorry, I should have also pointed out that the stats that you put up did not give any breakdowns of gender nor type of firearm homicides (domestic, robbery, etc). So there really is no way to compare one to the other.

I have no problem with people owning a firearm...but keeping it at home means it is the "weapon of choice" for domestic violence (mostly against women and children), let's look at the facts:

There were 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000.[4] The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides,[5] with 17,352 (55.6%) of the total 31,224 firearm-related deaths in 2007 due to suicide, while 12,632 (40.5%) were homicide deaths.[6]

In 2000, in homicides where the weapon was known, 50 percent (1,342 of 2,701) of female homicide victims were killed with a firearm. Of those female firearm homicides, 1,009 women (75 percent) were killed with a handgun.

More than five times as many women were murdered by an intimate acquaintance (605) than by a stranger (113) in the year 2000. Additionally, while firearm homicides involving male victims were mostly intra-gender, 95 percent of female firearm homicide victims were murdered by a male.

Domestic violence against women is a disturbingly common occurrence in the United States. Estimates from the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) indicate that from 1993 to 1998, women were victims of violent crimes by their intimate partners an average of more than 935,000 times a year. During this period, intimate-partner violence comprised 22 percent of all violent crimes against women. Although firearms are used in a relatively small percentage of domestic violence incidents, when a firearm is present, domestic violence can and all too often does turn into domestic homicide. Congress, recognizing the unique and deadly role firearms play in domestic violence passed the Protective Order Gun Ban in 1994. The law prohibits gun possession by a person against whom there is a restraining or protective order for domestic violence. In 1996, Congress passed the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Gun Ban, which prohibits anyone convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence or child abuse from purchasing or possessing a gun.

A 1997 study that examined the risk factors for violent death for women in the home found that when there were one or more guns in the home, the risk of suicide among women increased nearly five times and the risk of homicide increased more than three times. The increased risk of homicide associated with firearms was attributable to homicides at the hands of a spouse, intimate acquaintance, or close relative.

An analysis of female domestic homicides (a woman murdered by a spouse, intimate acquaintance, or close relative) showed that prior domestic violence in the household made a woman 14.6 times more likely, and having one or more guns in the home made a woman 7.2 times more likely, to be the victim of such a homicide.

The circumstances of firearms violence differ significantly between men and women. Compared to a man, a woman is far more likely to be killed by her spouse, an intimate acquaintance, or a family member than murdered by a stranger or an unidentified intruder. A 1976 to 1987 analysis of Federal Bureau of Investigation data revealed that more than twice as many women were shot and killed by their husbands or intimate acquaintances than were murdered by strangers using firearms, knives, or any other means.

Between 1976 and 1996, 65 percent of the male and female victims of intimate partner homicides were killed with a firearm. And while rates of intimate partner homicide have been declining, the ratio of female-to-male victims has risen. In other words, when an intimate-partner homicide occurs, it is increasingly likely that a woman is the victim rather than a man.

Having a gun in the home makes it three times more likely that you or someone you care about will be murdered by a family member or intimate partner.

A firearm in the home may be a key factor in the escalation of nonfatal spousal abuse to homicide. In a study of family and intimate assaults for the city of Atlanta, Georgia, in 1984, firearm-associated family and intimate assaults were 12 times more likely to result in death than non-firearm associated assaults between family and intimates.

The effects of firearm-related domestic violence last long beyond the actual crime. In a study on child witnesses of marital violence, the authors noted that children who observed incidents of domestic violence involving the use or threat of a firearm exhibited higher levels of behavior problems than children who did not.

While YOU personally don't think that you or anyone in your family won't commit such atrocities, your RIGHT to bear arms is essentially allowing this violence to go unchecked and take place...so please explain how you can have your cake and eat it to? :unsure:

Please don't give me negatives, I'm merely pointing out what your rights are allowing others to do. So help me solve this issue, that is all that I'm asking.

http://www.vpc.org/fact_sht/domviofs.htm

Take note of Switzerland. They own automatic weapons and have the one of the lowest crime rates. Please do tell me we can not.

• Upvote 1

Take note of Switzerland. They own automatic weapons and have the one of the lowest crime rates. Please do tell me we can not.

True to a point. But it's not like all citizens can own full auto weapons there. Members of their national militia are required to possess them, but at the end of their service their rifle is converted to only fire semi-auto.

I have no problem with people owning a firearm...but keeping it at home means it is the "weapon of choice" for domestic violence (mostly against women and children), let's look at the facts:

There were 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000.[4] The majority of gun-related deaths in the United States are suicides,[5] with 17,352 (55.6%) of the total 31,224 firearm-related deaths in 2007 due to suicide, while 12,632 (40.5%) were homicide deaths.[6]

In 2000, in homicides where the weapon was known, 50 percent (1,342 of 2,701) of female homicide victims were killed with a firearm. Of those female firearm homicides, 1,009 women (75 percent) were killed with a handgun.

More than five times as many women were murdered by an intimate acquaintance (605) than by a stranger (113) in the year 2000. Additionally, while firearm homicides involving male victims were mostly intra-gender, 95 percent of female firearm homicide victims were murdered by a male.

Domestic violence against women is a disturbingly common occurrence in the United States. Estimates from the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) indicate that from 1993 to 1998, women were victims of violent crimes by their intimate partners an average of more than 935,000 times a year. During this period, intimate-partner violence comprised 22 percent of all violent crimes against women. Although firearms are used in a relatively small percentage of domestic violence incidents, when a firearm is present, domestic violence can and all too often does turn into domestic homicide. Congress, recognizing the unique and deadly role firearms play in domestic violence passed the Protective Order Gun Ban in 1994. The law prohibits gun possession by a person against whom there is a restraining or protective order for domestic violence. In 1996, Congress passed the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Gun Ban, which prohibits anyone convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence or child abuse from purchasing or possessing a gun.

A 1997 study that examined the risk factors for violent death for women in the home found that when there were one or more guns in the home, the risk of suicide among women increased nearly five times and the risk of homicide increased more than three times. The increased risk of homicide associated with firearms was attributable to homicides at the hands of a spouse, intimate acquaintance, or close relative.

An analysis of female domestic homicides (a woman murdered by a spouse, intimate acquaintance, or close relative) showed that prior domestic violence in the household made a woman 14.6 times more likely, and having one or more guns in the home made a woman 7.2 times more likely, to be the victim of such a homicide.

The circumstances of firearms violence differ significantly between men and women. Compared to a man, a woman is far more likely to be killed by her spouse, an intimate acquaintance, or a family member than murdered by a stranger or an unidentified intruder. A 1976 to 1987 analysis of Federal Bureau of Investigation data revealed that more than twice as many women were shot and killed by their husbands or intimate acquaintances than were murdered by strangers using firearms, knives, or any other means.

Between 1976 and 1996, 65 percent of the male and female victims of intimate partner homicides were killed with a firearm. And while rates of intimate partner homicide have been declining, the ratio of female-to-male victims has risen. In other words, when an intimate-partner homicide occurs, it is increasingly likely that a woman is the victim rather than a man.

Having a gun in the home makes it three times more likely that you or someone you care about will be murdered by a family member or intimate partner.

A firearm in the home may be a key factor in the escalation of nonfatal spousal abuse to homicide. In a study of family and intimate assaults for the city of Atlanta, Georgia, in 1984, firearm-associated family and intimate assaults were 12 times more likely to result in death than non-firearm associated assaults between family and intimates.

The effects of firearm-related domestic violence last long beyond the actual crime. In a study on child witnesses of marital violence, the authors noted that children who observed incidents of domestic violence involving the use or threat of a firearm exhibited higher levels of behavior problems than children who did not.

While YOU personally don't think that you or anyone in your family won't commit such atrocities, your RIGHT to bear arms is essentially allowing this violence to go unchecked and take place...so please explain how you can have your cake and eat it to? :unsure:

Please don't give me negatives, I'm merely pointing out what your rights are allowing others to do. So help me solve this issue, that is all that I'm asking.

http://www.vpc.org/fact_sht/domviofs.htm

You seem well educated, however I find it very difficult how a mechanical device kills someone without an operator, How difficult is that to figure out?

Maybe if our governments quit slapping the hands of troubled minors, and sending them back on the streets just to increase their knowledge of less than appropriate behavior over and over>>>why wouldn't they nothings gonna happen till they are 18 (for the majority).

Maybe then the world will see a more peaceful world, a respected world.

Just my opinion

p.s. ITS NOT THE GUN THAT KILLS..........The problems we see today start in the homes of the young children living in a home not being taught respect, pride and work ethics (try hiring good help these days), these killings, crimes, abuse of welfare, neglected families and children will not change until good ethics are restored in the home, it will take years.

• Upvote 1

You seem well educated, however I find it very difficult how a mechanical device kills someone without an operator, How difficult is that to figure out?

Maybe if our governments quit slapping the hands of troubled minors, and sending them back on the streets just to increase their knowledge of less than appropriate behavior over and over>>>why wouldn't they nothings gonna happen till they are 18 (for the majority).

Maybe then the world will see a more peaceful world, a respected world.

Just my opinion

p.s. ITS NOT THE GUN THAT KILLS..........The problems we see today start in the homes of the young children living in a home not being taught respect, pride and work ethics (try hiring good help these days), these killings, crimes, abuse of welfare, neglected families and children will not change until good ethics are restored in the home, it will take years.

I can't argue with anything you said. But maybe I can approach my view in a different manner. Do you remember in the story about Wyatt Earp, when he was trying to tame Tombstone...what did he have to resort to? He had everyone hang up their guns when they entered town. When they left town and needed it to kill snakes or outlaws they could have them back. Why did it work back then but is so difficult to understand why it wouldn't work now?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I can't argue with anything you said. But maybe I can approach my view in a different manner. Do you remember in the story about Wyatt Earp, when he was trying to tame Tombstone...what did he have to resort to? He had everyone hang up their guns when they entered town. When they left town and needed it to kill snakes or outlaws they could have them back. Why did it work back then but is so difficult to understand why it wouldn't work now?

People are different today, our children, teenagers and such have very little respect for money, work, beliefs and I feel most importantly respect, taking the guns away will not change our world, I'm guessing here but I bet more people in the U.S. are killed by drunk drivers and deer/ car accidents, are we to take beer and cars away?

If people are raised with better values and taught to respect elders, money, possesions etc., we wouldnt have the problems we do.

I don't know how to answer your question directly, my guess would be population, easier to babysit 20 people versus millions. Be sides back then, children were worried about getting chores done and getting an education for a better life not what cartoon was next or why couldn't they chat on facebook or play video games till midnight let alone on a school night.

If it wasn't for guns, pride, respect and the will of people to die for our country we would not be having this discussion.

An interesting side bar to December 7, 1941:

After the Japanese decimated our fleet in Pearl Harbor Dec 7, 1941,

They could have sent their troop ships and carriers directly to California to finish what they started. The prediction from our Chief of Staff was we would not be able to stop a massive invasion until they had reached the Mississippi River. Remember, we had our army and war ships fighting the Germans in Europe.

So, why did they not invade? After the war, the remaining Japanese generals and admirals were asked that question.

Their answer -- They know that almost every home had guns and the Americans knew how to use them. The world's largest army, America's hunters!

A blogger added up the deer license sales in just a handful of states and arrived at a striking conclusion:

There were over 600,000 hunters this season in the state of Wisconsin. Over the last several months, Wisconsin's hunters became the eighth largest army in the world. More men under arms than in Iran. More that in France and Germany combined.

These men deployed to the woods of a single American state to hunt

With firearms, and no one was killed. Yet, that number pales in comparison to the 750,000 who hunted the woods of Pennsylvania, and Michigan's 700,000 hunters. All of whom have now returned home.

Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia and it literally

Establishes the fact that the hunters of those four states alone

Would comprise the largest army in the world.

The point?

America is much safer from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower. Hunting -- it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of national security.

That's why all enemies, foreign and domestic, want to see us disarmed.

Food for thought when talk of gun control arises again.

• Upvote 2

Tiff would you consider me giving you a (-) to be domestic violence against women?

I'm sorry, I don't understand this question, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, so pls explain.

"If people are raised with better values and taught to respect elders, money, possesions etc., we wouldnt have the problems we do." Again, I totally agree. No argument.

But let's boil this down. People say guns don't kill people. Ok then why do England, Germany, & Japan all have significantly lower homicide rates than the US?

But they aren't like us....ok, then why does Canada, which IS similar to the US have such a vastly lower domestic violence?

You can argue all you want that gun control doesn't work, but it does. Less people die. (By the way, I've lived in all 4 countries, so yea, I have personal experience)

The argument then is well, it deters crime. Just knowing or possibly knowing that someone may have a gun will stop someone from coming in. Ok, fine. You win that point. But having that right also allows ANYONE to have a gun, which studies show will result in more violence against women and children. You can't argue that.

Are there alternatives? Yes...you can have pepper spray or tazers for home defense.

You can also have your firearms whenever you wish to go hunting or shooting....just like Canada. Just leave them at the armory at the end of the day.

As far as foreign invasion, Ok...I will give you that one as well, that is in the time of WWII. But honestly, which country would try that today against the US...seriously. Next, do you honestly think our military would turn on its people? If so, then we have a lot more to worry about than gun control.

Last but not least, I KNOW I can't win this argument. There is not a single person that I've convinced. You are welcome to your guns. But I think you are:

:D

I could be wrong, but from what I understand there was no law against people that lived in Tombstone from owning guns and having them in their homes, even inside the city limits. But that the law was that inside the city limits that people could not carry a gun. Big difference. That would basically be like most everyplace in the US prior to the introduction of the CHLs.

Great post Carla. Here's a bit of information...

Gun ownership in Texas is a universal phenomena. In fact, there are more gun owners in Texas than any other state in the Union. It is estimated that Texans own around 51 million firearms. That's more firearms than owned by the 300 million people that make up the 15 nations of the European Union. In fact, America is the number one gun-owning nation in the world. But Texans possess nearly 20% of all the guns in America. The U.S. gun count is estimated around 240 million.

Edited by DinarMillionaire

Great post Carla. Here's a bit of information...

Gun ownership in Texas is a universal phenomena. In fact, there are more gun owners in Texas than any other state in the Union. It is estimated that Texans own around 51 million firearms. That's more firearms than owned by the 300 million people that make up the 15 nations of the European Union. In fact, America is the number one gun-owning nation in the world. But Texans possess nearly 20% of all the guns in America. The U.S. gun count is estimated around 240 million.

And this is one reason I am proud to be a Texan.

Tiffany would like to see crime against women deterred...she believes taking away guns will do that. I believe the issue isn't the firearms...it is the people who use them. More to the point---the people who are doing all the killing have a conscience issue. They have lost all respect for human life and have no conscience to guide them. Take away their guns? Can't happen. They'd find illegal ones. But even if they were all taken away, the criminals/drunks/abusive men (fill in the blank) would find another means to kill. Because of this point (them finding another means to kill), I do not think it is up to the majority (those who actually follow the law) to give up their constitutional right to own a firearm.

• Upvote 3