Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Want To Cancel Landline

WorkerBee

Ok, we have such a diverse group, I know someone on here might be able to offer suggestions so...........

I would like to cancel my landline telephone with AT&T but our internet is through them so I need a high speed internet replacement. We have DirecTV instead of cable. Anyone else pull this off? Any suggestions? Cheaper alternatives? Where do I start and what questions do I need to ask?

We had our cable and internet thru charter. Canceled the cable and bought a ROKU. Great little device, 1000's of movies and TV shows. If your an Amazon Prime member...bigger bonus.

We also had AT & T for out phone and canceled them. Now we get unlimited long distance calls anywhere in the USA, Canada, UK, France and Germany with Vonage. Vonage is thru high speed internet, $25 bucks a month.

Hope this helps.

Same situation myself..... Until recently.

I checked out the Virgin Mobile hot spot prepaid service, sold at Wal-Mart, unfortunately it runs on Sprint signal and with poor reception in my area, was not great.

I hated to do it but I signed a contract with Verizon and bought their wireless service. The cost of the Hot Spot box was cheap, ($30.00), and for $50.00/month they give 5 gigs. of data. Now for a limited time Verizon is doubling the data, for each plan. 10 gigs/$50.00! All I'll ever need!

Works great!

I'll soon cancel my landline and slow dial-up and save money!

Thanks for the suggestions. Is there an advantage using your cell phone over cable providers? We've only spoken with Suddenlink and they are saying they can provide service 10x's faster than AT&T for only $37 month. That would shave off about $50. Anyone have an opinion about them?

ps: I'm really ingorant about Internet service providers, to me it's like driving a car, I can operate it and put gas in it but I really don't understad the mechanics!!! I just want to be able to get on my 'pooter and go! :lol: No problems downloading etc.

Thanks for the suggestions. Is there an advantage using your cell phone over cable providers? We've only spoken with Suddenlink and they are saying they can provide service 10x's faster than AT&T for only $37 month. That would shave off about $50. Anyone have an opinion about them?

ps: I'm really ingorant about Internet service providers, to me it's like driving a car, I can operate it and put gas in it but I really don't understad the mechanics!!! I just want to be able to get on my 'pooter and go! :lol: No problems downloading etc.

I use clear, no problems, for about 35.00 a month. Fast and dependable had it for over a year, and customer service is very helpful (so far). :)

Ok, we have such a diverse group, I know someone on here might be able to offer suggestions so...........

I would like to cancel my landline telephone with AT&T but our internet is through them so I need a high speed internet replacement. We have DirecTV instead of cable. Anyone else pull this off? Any suggestions? Cheaper alternatives? Where do I start and what questions do I need to ask?

you should just cancel direct tv and get comcast high speed cable i have the same set up but i have dish and now at and t internet was the worst mistake i ever made comcast is way better in my area i wish i wouldnt have switched. AT and T sucks.

Edited by easyrider

I want to cancel my landline also, but DirecTV told me I had to keep it for updating the receivers. Has anyone heard the same thing? Thanks!!

I had DTV and never had it connected to a land line because I did not have one, if you dare disconnect your DTV from the land line and don't say a word to DTV. The land line now a days is only used for PPV ordering, even thou they can use it to track your DTV boxes they have not done so in my understanding.

Edited by Weapon X

I have personally worked for AT&T recently and if you are satisfied with the internet you are currently receiving (location depicts service!) then just call 1-800-288-2020 to cancel phone line and you will still receive internet service with same setup you have no changes needed!

• Upvote 1

I want to cancel my landline also, but DirecTV told me I had to keep it for updating the receivers. Has anyone heard the same thing? Thanks!!

Yes I have heard the same, however I haven't plugged my receiver into a phone jack in over a year. I get a message a day, I just delete them. Nothing has changed and I still see what I want. I really think the phone connection is so they get pull information, not push.

quote name='WorkerBee' date='04 January 2012 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1325729728' post='799565']

I just bought the magicjack device, you pay $40 for the device and 19.95 for the YEAR included !!! after only 19.95 per year !!!

you have free long distance, and you can get the device with you and call ev1 from any part in the world for free.

Its too long to explain the benefits...just goggle magic jack and read, and you will see

I am very happy with that !

you will only need a dsl or internet ...magicjack will give you a phone #

so you only need internet. and wi-fi in any place

i am going to Italy tomorrow and taking magicjack and my lap tab .... and callinfg free to my family here in florida from Italy !!!

I will take this to Belize !!!!! hope soon ! :)

I cancelled my land line, fired verizon, told Dish TV to take a hike. Got my AT&T cell phone & they gave me a HUGE discount on a HOTSPOT (that works GREAT!, even in my car and all over everywhere i go!), and a great deal on my DirectTV with a level 3 channel line up, plus another cell phone for me dear ol' Dad and the whole 3-way kit n' kaboodle is less than $100.00 p/month and I only have to write one check! SCORE! :D

If you have a fancy smart phone like my evo you can do what I do. I cancelled Comcast TV and Internet, and also cancelled my landline. I "tether"my evo to my pc and viola, "free" internet. Of course, I have Sprint with an unlimited data plan.

I turn my evo into a 4g hotspot which gives network access to my pc and my ps3. Ps3 can stream Netflix, youtube, and has a built in web browser. I can download any show that broadcasts on tv, just the next day. It's actually quite the setup. So now I have a landline $30, cable tv $50, cable internet $50, Sprint Evo w/ Family plan w/ 2 phones $120.

I'm sure you're son can help you set it all up!

:tiphat:

Also, worse comes to worse, you can always go to McDonald's, buy a cup of coffee and use their FREE wi-fi to access the net. Sometimes you can even access the signal in your car sitting in the parking lot. Good luck! B)

You can downgrade your service to data only which will allow for high speed internet service with a dual purpose modem ...hard wired or wireless. This will let you save some bucks and get web service too. The other issue I saw was about DirectTV requiring a phone to communicate through is not true if you have dvr package. At least I think that's the case. I don't have my line hooked to the box and have them for over a year with no issues. Good luck.

We had our internet through the phone lines for years and out here in the woods it was sooooooooooooo slow you would feel like giving up. I finally broke down and went with Hughes Net and cancelled our land line. The price is just a few dollars more than paying for a phone I never called anyone on anyway and the internet seems like a million times faster to us. Of course the weather can affect it sometimes and you have to watch your useage but in the long run we have been much happier with our choice.