Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Need an opinion from the DV Christians

bamagirl

429...so from what you wrote. work of the church" is getting the word out about Christianity vs like helping the poor. Won't helping the poor in the name of Christ actually do both? Or is it to like sponsor someone doing mission work? Sorry...just curious to see how the other half live. :)

Sorry to take so long to get back to you, Tiff. I was over in chat. No reason to be sorry. You're asking me to explain why I believe what I believe. And that's a good thing for both of us.

You're exactly right about helping the poor in the name of Christ. But their main "Christian use" should in, my opinion, be to preach the gospel. Sometime back the Mormon Church and the United Methodist Church ran ads inviting folks to look at church again. Ads cost money. Did those ads really do any good? I don't know. Then there were the billboards where God was supposedly talking to the reader. Were they effective? I don't know. And if one is not affiliated with a specific church, to whom should one give?

Several of the folks above have mentioned the Salvation Army. Here's a group of dedicated christians that goes into the worst places world-wide (when they can -- think N. Korea, China, Myanmar, etc.) and spread the word of Jesus Christ. People view them as a social organization, but in reality, they are their own religious denomination; an off-shoot of the Methodists. These are folks that, in my opinion, would use donated funds wisely. Their giving to use ratio (whatever it's called) is one of the highest around -- something over 95-96% if I remember correctly. Yeah, the Salvation Army will get some money from me.

But I stand by what I posted previously and what is true for me -- I promised to support my church with my tithes, not my "part-tithes" and I don't feel I can go back on that promise.

Now the difference between a tithe and an offering has been debated here. No reason to go over that again. And I can certainly think of worse "charities" than your local Humane Society.

And that's my two cents.

No, I have no formal training and I have trouble with public speaking. :unsure::(:P

You just have a way about you, I think you really reach people.

I really appreciate your heart to search out all avenues for the Truth concerning giving of money for the work of the Lord. Usually I would'nt comment but as I like how you are responding I will throw in my 2 cents. The biggest part for me is having peace with my decision in giving. If our giving is to the Lord then I try to keep at the forfront of my mind that He has sent us the Holy Spirit to lead us and guide us into a closer relationship with Jesus. So no certain rules can apply to spirit led giving that involves a Living God. I would pray and ask Him what He would like you to do and believe that He can speak clearly to your heart and give you peace with whatever decision you would make. I know there have been times I felt He told me to use the money i was going to give to the church to someone in need that was family or friend. I did'nt feel like I had to repay the church for not giving that week or month. As the Blood and Body of Jesus is the only thing that restores me to the Father, weather or not I give money can bring me no closer to God in it self. So my heart is clear to do whatever is true and just. Blessings

Thats what my husband says, we should just pray and He will show us what to do.

• Upvote 1

Bama, my TwoCents.gif worth.... and only cause you specifically asked, it is a hottly debated topic by some, but I don't march to the beat of the masses... I study, and listen to what the Lord tells me.

I won't get into any debate, but my findings and some thoughts on the "tithe". First of all, the O.T. tithe was mostly food.... and did you know that one specific illustration has the surplus gathered and calls for a big celebration... that's right... they partied! feature_party.gif Why not? God is worth celebrating. God doesn't need our money, it's more of a reminder to us of where it has come from and what a gift His provision is, so our giving keeps just helps keep that in perspective. But all throughout the New and Old Testament He calls us to remember the poor, the needy, the widows and orphans. And lastly.... the Lord loves a cheerful giver, give what you feel you can joyfully give... ask for His direction, and He will show you who needs it most... it may not be where you think (we often get surprised). Blessings Bama! - Rod wink.gif

Edited by RodandStaff
  • Upvote 1

I would like to share with you what the Lord God has taught me.

1) The Lord God is RICH...and doesn't need your money.

2) Obedience is better than sacrifice.

3) None of the Lord Gods will be lost.

That being said....Pray....Allow the Lord to make you into that honorable vessel...ready for

every good work......Including ALL that you are....and ALL that you have.

What part is God's?....Well ....All of it....including your Life.

• Upvote 1

Good morning fellow DV Christians,

Since so many folks on here have such a giving mindset, I would really be interested post RV, to discuss the possibility of some of us setting up a non- profit oragnization to further good works...I don't know enough about the subject, I only am sure that it is something I would be very interested in doing, but, maybe from a business perspective it would not be as beneficial for a group to do it together. I mean, one might as well get the tax benefits of such am organization...I don't know if that could work for a group?

Who has experience in this area? Would anyone be open to a conversation along these lines?

If I were to go down this road I clearly would choose to do so with like minded people!

• Upvote 1

Since so many folks on here have such a giving mindset, I would really be interested post RV, to discuss the possibility of some of us setting up a non- profit oragnization to further good works...I don't know enough about the subject, I only am sure that it is something I would be very interested in doing, but, maybe from a business perspective it would not be as beneficial for a group to do it together. I mean, one might as well get the tax benefits of such am organization...I don't know if that could work for a group?

Who has experience in this area? Would anyone be open to a conversation along these lines?

If I were to go down this road I clearly would choose to do so with like minded people!

***///

There are several worthy Military Veteran charities out there who need our help.

The Gov't isn't taking care of us and just this week made it even worse by slashing The Forces - again,

putting more of us- and our families - out on the street than ever.

Please, please, please look into these, then into your heart and support us if you can.

Just this past week I was up at the V.A. hospital for an appointment and if I shared with you, you'd cry...

Please remember us, I beg of you.

Thanking you from the bottom of my heart.

For myself...I have a few places to give that I'm going to explore personally.

I really like the idea of using organizations that are already in place, and not creating more administrative costs to set up something new. I LOVE love love Beck's Mercury 1 project, which is researching responsible charities and connecting people with resources and needs to them. I'm definitely going to take advantage of that.

Interesting question, with some interesting answers.

I do not attend a specific church and so do not have a building, on a piece of property, with administration and utilities and stuff likt that to be paid. Years ago, this being the case, I had to decide for myself just how I could tithe. I wanted my own conscience to be clear about it, and I wanted to do it from the heart.

After quite a while, maybe a couple of years in fact, of giving to various organizations and churches just as an anonymous donor, I decided I wanted my tithe to have more of a direction than that. I wanted to know that feeling of having helped, of know that every penny was easing some kind of pain or making someone's life that much better. So, I decided to donate to causes that sort of slip through the cracks. There are good and meaningful causes, sometimes run by or through churches, sometimes through other well intentioned and effective groups, that don't get the "press" that will bring them the kind of attention that will bring them the income they could really use. Usually there is some one or two major supporters, more often than not they are benefactors of a will where they keep a roof over them, if they have a roof, by collecting proceeds from a bequest endowment. I always thought if I ever had money I would arrange my will so that my money would do that ... let the principal collect interest that supports some good deed organization. Well, it would seem I may have the wealth before I am quite ready to die just yet so I may be able to hand out money myself. I am looking forward to that. There are a lot of opportunities in the area of helping children who are living basically homeless, and my neighbour (who got me into the dinar in the first place) and I have decided we will donate the means to build to homes through "Homes for Humanity." My mother-in-law is a music teacher and let me know about a program where she lives that supports musical education for kids who cannot afford lessons or even an instrument for a school band or orchestra. There are very talented children missing out on the opportunity of a lifetime. They will be part of my "tithe".

And so it goes. There are so many places to help. And I believe that tithing is not just supporting a church but supporting the work of God. And that is a lot more than spreading scripture and giving out tracts ... it is giving of yourself, to another human being, and in your heart saying, this I do as He taught me. I know it sounds a little corny but it is how I feel.

I think that anyone who gives anything to any person or place and does so in the name of God or in the way of God's work, is tithing. Now that is the one sentence answer I should have given, right? hahahaha

:)

smee2