Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Need an opinion from the DV Christians

bamagirl

I have plans to tithe and help others when this RV finally comes but I am wondering about the tithing part...do we have to tithe our 10% to a church or can we use the money we set aside as tithes to really help people? I don't want to give money to pay salaries or help build another mega church, I really want people to be helped and to know it's from blessings from the Lord. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated, my husband and I are really wanting to do the right thing but we are torn on this.

• Upvote 3

I have plans to tithe and help others when this RV finally comes but I am wondering about the tithing part...do we have to tithe our 10% to a church or can we use the money we set aside as tithes to really help people? I don't want to give money to pay salaries or help build another mega church, I really want people to be helped and to know it's from blessings from the Lord. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated, my husband and I are really wanting to do the right thing but we are torn on this.

As long as you separate the tithe from the rest of your earnings, and solely use the tithe for doing good, I don't see anything wrong with that. Just make sure that's the first thing you do, and don't make it an afterthought.

-

• Upvote 4

I plan on tithing to my local church 5%. I also know of a ministry in New York city that helps inner city children. It's called won by one. It's a great ministry. They will be getting 5% as well. As far as the tithe goes.. it does not matter what they do with it. It is the fact that you are obediant to God's word. Your cup will overflow! You are not responsible for others actions. imho. God speed to you.

• Upvote 3

Well my husband was raised in children group homes, passed from one to another...that is what we really want to help with, I'm sure it will exceed 10% but not all of them are Christian organizations, some are state ran. Thanks for all responses.

Hey BamaGirl My thoughts go along with those above..if you are not connected to a church/ministry then what I WOULD do is to give the 10% off the top before anything else to whatever organization(s) that you believe best serves God,s purposes. Ultimately as God is the searcher of hearts it is between you and Him and don,t forget to claim the blessings girl !!!

• Upvote 2

Folks there is a concept missing in tithing today. We have been taught about tithing by men who were taught tithing by men who were taught tithing but not according to the Bible. The Bible states that our tithe and offering is unto the Lord. The tithe in Israel was to go to a levitical priesthood who were not allowed to work at any other trade except the work of God and they were not allowed to own property. It was to be distributed to the levites and Aaronic priests as they had need. Paul said he worked with his own hands. He also said let every man work with his own hands. He said he had not taken any money from them lest they could say they had made Paul rich. Peter said to Annanais and Sapphira that while the money was in their own hands it was theirs but when they said they had given all and had kept back a part they had lied to the Holy Ghost and they died. Basically Peter told them you didn't have to give anything but pretending you gave all and kept part back was what destroyed them. If the tithe was used in our religious organizations as it was used in the Levitical priesthood and if the Pastors and Preachers could not work and play the stock market and run businesses and if they could not own property then I would say this was a New Testament law also. I find no place in the scriptures where New Testament believers were bound by Old Testament laws on tithing. That being said I pay my tithes unto God on the increase not on the gross. I do not pay my tithes to man. I do pay them at my local church. If I see someone in need I utilize that money to help them. When we have so many churches with people who are indigent and needy and we shut up our bowels of compassion and Pastors drive the best cars and live in the finest houses and cannot be approached for every day neccesities by poor and needy people we have created a monster never intended by God. I know already this is a controversial issue. Please find a command to reinstate the law of tithing in the New Testament church before you bash on me. Share it with all. Out of the King James Bible. I can show you where the scripture says if you want one part of the law you are to promote all of it. If you are guilty then in one part of it you are guilty in all. I know I just paraphrased but I am close enough to have it right. You will have to stretch the scriptures beyond comprehension to bash me on this. Pay your tithes to God people and God will reward you. Pay them to men and you will receive the accolades of men and that is all.

• Upvote 6

Folks there is a concept missing in tithing today. We have been taught about tithing by men who were taught tithing by men who were taught tithing but not according to the Bible. The Bible states that our tithe and offering is unto the Lord. The tithe in Israel was to go to a levitical priesthood who were not allowed to work at any other trade except the work of God and they were not allowed to own property. It was to be distributed to the levites and Aaronic priests as they had need. Paul said he worked with his own hands. He also said let every man work with his own hands. He said he had not taken any money from them lest they could say they had made Paul rich. Peter said to Annanais and Sapphira that while the money was in their own hands it was theirs but when they said they had given all and had kept back a part they had lied to the Holy Ghost and they died. Basically Peter told them you didn't have to give anything but pretending you gave all and kept part back was what destroyed them. If the tithe was used in our religious organizations as it was used in the Levitical priesthood and if the Pastors and Preachers could not work and play the stock market and run businesses and if they could not own property then I would say this was a New Testament law also. I find no place in the scriptures where New Testament believers were bound by Old Testament laws on tithing. That being said I pay my tithes unto God on the increase not on the gross. I do not pay my tithes to man. I do pay them at my local church. If I see someone in need I utilize that money to help them. When we have so many churches with people who are indigent and needy and we shut up our bowels of compassion and Pastors drive the best cars and live in the finest houses and cannot be approached for every day neccesities by poor and needy people we have created a monster never intended by God. I know already this is a controversial issue. Please find a command to reinstate the law of tithing in the New Testament church before you bash on me. Share it with all. Out of the King James Bible. I can show you where the scripture says if you want one part of the law you are to promote all of it. If you are guilty then in one part of it you are guilty in all. I know I just paraphrased but I am close enough to have it right. You will have to stretch the scriptures beyond comprehension to bash me on this. Pay your tithes to God people and God will reward you. Pay them to men and you will receive the accolades of men and that is all.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

As long as you separate the tithe from the rest of your earnings, and solely use the tithe for doing good, I don't see anything wrong with that. Just make sure that's the first thing you do, and don't make it an afterthought.

-

This is what I was looking for, thank you.

All of the above were awesome responses to your concerns.

As Jesus walked the earth to spread the Word of His Father, the people would tithe. The church needs our tithing to help keep the Word of God alive.

Never mind the administration part or the structure of your church. We go to church to absorb the Word and nothing else.

Don't allow that to keep you from tithing... in spreading the Word of God.

Give your 10% or plus. A lot of us struggle with life's finances that it hurts to give. When it doesn't hurt then you know you done your part, but do give.

Then your organizations come next and whom ever else.

Simple for me. :D

• Upvote 1

I believe in paying my tithe to my church.(10%) I decided a long time ago that my duty is to give to the work of God. You can argue whether it pertains to only old testament or also new testament. I personally believe it applies today. We need to keep the lights on in the church we attend etc... I also want to bless others as well as giving more to my church assembly. This is called offering. It is above and beyond my tithe. No limit minimum or maximum on this. Whatever is in my heart to give.

I believe when it comes to paying tithe and offering to the Church/Pastor, you must have enough trust that it will be used properly. If you don't trust your church leadership, then find an assembly you do. Having said that, no matter what is done with the money I give, I know that I have done my part.

I'm sure my pastor has alternative investments to augment his income and I am glad. He is the one praying for my soul. I want him and his family to live better than I. My church is not part of an "International Church" organization. The congregation supports our local assembly and their isn't a retirement plan for the Pastor and his wife, until the Lord takes them home. :)

• Upvote 4

Just my thoughts on this matter:: Jesus said when you help one of the least of my children you giveth also to me. Tithing is only good if its from the heart. We can give a church all the money we have but if we give it with a relutent heart then it does us no good. God looks on the intentions of the heart as to whether it is worthy.....Giving to a church of your choice is also helping to build his kingdom. If we give in earnest and with a truly humble heart to a church, a charity, or just someone you know that really needs a hand up then we have done what is expected of us and the rewards will come back to you somewhere in your lifetime.........Heavyduty053

• Upvote 6

bama, several years ago my husband and I owned our business. We wholesaled as well as retailed the products that we made.

At Christmas time we would open kioshes in malls starting Nov.1 and close them on the eve of Dec.24th.

To make a long story short. There was a mother that would bring her disabled daughter to the mall just about every day. When it was warmer outside, you would not see them, but when the temperatures would dip, here they would come.

After seeing this several times, I began to ask others "what the deal" was as I knew they were not there to shop. My heart was broken to find that they did not have a home and this mother brought this child to the mall to stay warm when the weather was too cold to be out. Many night they would be there until the mall doors were closed and locked. several of us vendors took up a collection to help in some small way, knowing it would never be enough to meet this family's needs.

My husband and I have made a promise to each other that the 1st thing we are going to do when this rv happens, is try to find this mother and child. We want our 1st gift to be given to them, possibly to buy them a small home or get them in an apartment. possibly help them with electric or food or what ever the situation calls for at this time.

These are the kinds of things I want to do with our monies.......

But more than that, I want to tell them the "Good News" and about Gods Kingdom.....I wish I had told them 3 years ago but sadly I did not make an effort to share with them the Greatest Gift that has ever been given. I hope to never make that mistake again when the Lord gives me that opportunity...

God be with you all.....

• Upvote 3

10% of your income does NOT mean you have to give directly to the Church itself...Most of what is mentioned in the Bible, what you do unto others, you have done for me. So with that said, you can split your tithes in any way you want, but keep in mind that there are some charity to you give to are not Tax deductible, so make sure you do your homework if you are willing to claim some returns at the end of the year.

Example:

* Church 2%

* Shriners Hospital 2%

* ST. Jude 2%

* Wounded Warrior 2%

* Other Charity 2%

All of the responses are appreciated! smile.gif

I know what I will do. I will still give to my local church, but it isn't going to be the whole tithe. it's only a 200 people congregation and the building was paid for years ago.

We already sponsor 6 kids through Compassion. If I were to become very wealthy, I'd sponsor hundreds of kids all around the world. I think that is what God would have me do.

Set up a trust or something like that, that would provide for many kids for years.

Luke 6:38

Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

This is more along the lines of the book the "secret" but. It's basically saying how you give will be measured back to you in the way you give. So, in essence. I agree with you. God speed to you.

The Bible says to give to the widows and orphans. it says nothing about the church you are to bring it to the storehouse and the priests were to give it out. (and remember that it was not good for them when they became "fat"on the proceeds. ) Sound like your heart is to have God show you where to tithe. I know the church has put a spin on this. I love the church,but I do what God commands.

• Upvote 1

The Christian's biblical perspective is found in 2 Corinthians 9:7

Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

There are no limits for the Christian because he lives under God's grace, and is not obligated to measure up to any law system.

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

That's a small bit of scripture, and certainly is not exaustive for your question, but maybe it will help a bit, if you believe it.

• Upvote 2

Check out Alabama Teen Challenge, they are a Christian based orginzation that help people get off drugs and alcohol. I've been burned by churches, also loaned $13K to a pastor that I thought was my friend, got burned by him also. I later found out that he scammed an elderly lady out of about $50K.

I don't feel like you "have to give/tithe" to a church. Widows, orphans, and those in need, doesn't matter if they go to a specific church.

• Upvote 1