Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq issues arrest warrant for Sunni vice president

Stefanie

http://news.yahoo.com/iraq-issues-arrest-warrant-vice-president-hashemi-174008037.html

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraqi authorities have issued an arrest warrant for Sunni Muslim Vice-President Tareq al-Hashemi on suspected links to terrorism after the government said it obtained confessions from his bodyguards, an interior ministry spokesman said on Monday.

The warrant risks fuelling sectarian tensions in Iraq following the withdrawal of the last American troops almost nine years after the invasion that ousted Saddam Hussein. It also puts the country's fragile power-sharing agreement at risk.

Interior Ministry spokesman, Major General Adel Daham, told a news conference confessions by suspects identified as Hashemi's bodyguards, linked the vice president to killings and attacks of several Iraqi government and security officials.

"An arrest warrant has been issued for Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi according to Article 4 of the terrorism law and is signed by five judges... this warrant should be executed," Daham said, waving a copy of what he said was the warrant in front of reporters.

The ministry showed taped confessions, aired on state-run Iraqiya television and other local media, of men it claimed were members of Hashemi's security detail. The men said they had been paid by his office to carry out killings.

The identity of the men could not be independently confirmed.

Hashemi, who could not be contacted for a response, was in Kurdistan, a semi-autonomous enclave in the north, Kurdish political sources said. Kurdistan has its own government and security forces.

Political tensions between Shi'ite Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki and his Sunni partners in the country's delicate power-sharing deal have sharpened during the U.S. withdrawal as both parties traded accusations and counter charges.

The completion of the U.S. withdrawal on Sunday left many Iraqis fearful that a shaky peace between majority Shi'ites and Sunnis might collapse and reignite sectarian violence.

Two days earlier Maliki asked parliament for a vote of no-confidence against another leading Sunni politician, Saleh al-Mutlaq, who is deputy prime minister, on the grounds that he lacked faith in the political process.

Hashemi and Mutlaq are both leaders of the Iraqiya bloc, a secular group backed by minority Sunnis, which joined Maliki's unity government only reluctantly and recently boycotted parliament sessions after complaining of being marginalized, even though it is the single biggest bloc in the assembly.

(Reporting by Rania el Gamal; writing by Patrick Markey; Editing by Serena Chaudhry/Maria Golovnina)

Well, someone beat me to it. Oh well. ;)

Maliki is sounding more and more like the modern day Hitler. I guess if you don't agree with him you will be tried as a terrorist.

Yeah, but if he continues to "dictate" and cause tirades, he will be like some of the other dictators who met their fate like Saddam and Gadhafi......

IMO i think yall are looking at this totally wrong IMO check this out

Solid proof of the al-Maliki meet the conditions of post-occupation

Read more: http://www.sotaliraq...2#ixzz1goTUE1Cw

By Jawad Kazem Ismail - 17/12/2011 | (Voice of Iraq) | printable version

jawad69m@yahoo.com

is not a matter of praise and flattery, and not as a courtesy, fawning, when talking about the character of the state of Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, the man does not need to laudatory and Lahu need to Mjammelta, but I say I speak it as a fact must recognize and acknowledge them, they have proven all of the events and attitudes that have passed on Iraq after the 2003 firm this man and the courage of his positions, he is the political figure most prominent which can be reassuring her to lead the country after the withdrawal phase U.S. from Iraq and this reassurance did not come from a vacuum but attitudes that preceded and experienced by Iraq is a testament to our saying this, especially sectarian events that were about to storm in Iraq and the emergence of armed manifestations and to impose its control over most of the provinces and the Charge of the Knights and hit the remnants of al Qaeda in Mosul and Diyala, but the best proof of our words in addition to imposing security and stability in the capital, Baghdad gradually, although al-Qaeda and those allied with them have thrown all its weight on Baghdad and Baghdad was like a city abandoned the time, but the hardness of Maliki and courageous decisions resulted from the lifting of Baghdad from the clutches of terrorism and weapons militias .. Therefore, the more I see the newly or hear an opinion on the case of Iraq post-occupation reassure oneself to the existence of a character such as al-Maliki to lead Iraq Despite all Mahristit men of political conflicts by blocks competition and even from the earliest political partners with him, but remained Maliki viewed its responsibility and large home with one eye so that he almost to lose the people closest and closest friends to him because of the ambitions of those, and over-the legitimate demands of a constitutional one hand and illegal at other times, We have to realize that the charisma-Maliki made ​​him to be in the first row to take responsibility and pull Iraq back from the ambitions and conflicts is true that the scene political scene is complex has produced intersections and problematic. It is true that the problem of corruption hit Batunab the entire State, which will be the problem of the biggest challenges facing the country is true that there are big issues will impose itself after the U.S. withdrawal from Iraq, including projects, regions which undertook the provinces (Sunni Triangle) claimed by the full force and purposes are well known targets, which I will write them an article independent to talk about that, God willing, and other issues facing the government of Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki is the Syrian file and the consequences that will follow this event, the rapid, where the wishes of the great powers and the wishes of neighboring countries, notably Iran and Turkey, each of these two states vision and the desire of private events in Syria and the other thing is the fear of the emergence of manifestations Alumblycatih again on the scene after that I realized these totals that the occupation had evacuated and must impose themselves again, and that happens, it will inevitably come and pay from countries with interests in non- the stability of Iraq, this was not a port of Mubarak and the outstanding problems with the State of Kuwait is absent from the accounts and were not outstanding problems with the other neighboring countries are absent, especially with Turkey and Iran as well as the most important problem is to seek to remove Iraq from Chapter VII, all of this and other outstanding problems, whether internal or external will arise inevitably and clearly Imam Maliki's government during the remainder of his government, but I find that Mr. Maliki is the right person to address all of that and transit to Iraq to bank safety and stability, I think it also saw the President of the United States of America, Mr. Obama made ​​his when said of him during his meeting with Mr. Nuri al-Maliki on 13 | 11 | 2011 in Washington, DC ((I'm sure the courage al-Maliki to take the most difficult decisions)), from here I am confident that the hardness-Maliki and his courage in the decision-making will be the security key to Iraq's post-America will be Iraq will serve a vital role in the region and is bound to be a key player and active in both regional and international events .. I did not say this out of the blue but the men know the positions and let the events and through Ansbak possible to determine this we say is that he belongs to the act and the facts on the ground or is it out of the weave .. Wish no more!!

Read more: