Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Over 146 millions live in poverty in US

Hashim1968

Over 146 millions live in poverty in USgerafian20111215140438590.jpgA man looks through the trash in New York City. (file photo)Nearly 1 in 2 Americans have now fallen into poverty or are scraping by on earnings that classify them as low income, a report by the US Census Bureau says.Based on a new supplemental measure by the Census Bureau more than ninety seven million Americans are considered to have low-income, defined as between 100 and 199 percent of the poverty level. Another 49.1 million Americans live below the poverty line, meaning 146.4 million Americans, or 48 percent are considered low-income or poor, Associated Press reported on Thursday.The new measure of poverty takes into account medical, commuting and other living costs. The new method raised the number of people below 200 percent of the poverty level up from 104 million, or 1 in 3 Americans that was officially reported in September.The new data shows that children were most likely to be poor or low-income - about 57 percent, followed by seniors over 65. Meanwhile Hispanics topped the list at 73 percent, followed by blacks, Asians and non-Hispanic whites. Among low-income families, about one-third was considered poor while the remainder - 6.9 million - earned income just above the poverty line. The US recession began in 2007. More than a year after the recession officially ended in 2009, the US unemployment rate remains above 9 percent, and the poverty rate rose to 15.3 percent in 2010 from 14.3 percent in 2009. The “incredibly unequal top-down distribution of wealth” in the US has formed an elite group who controls most aspects of the country's affluence, according to analysts. The Occupy Wall Street (OWS) movement emerged on September 17 in the financial district of New York City to protest at a number of issues including the wars in the Middle East, US financial crisis, rising poverty, soaring unemployment, and high bonuses for Wall Street executives.

http://www.presstv.i...ail/215860.html

Edited by Hashim1968
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Congress isn't interested in the rest of us.

The truth is that millionaires want IN for a reason.

If we were to make Congress a draft of intellectuals, pay them the AVERAGE US salary, and disallow lobbying bribes, we'd have millionaires fighting to stay OUT of Congress, instead!

Edited by Hashim1968
  • Upvote 2

And make the law part of the constitution. Then make them take a pay cut if the country looses money and give them a raise if we [the country] make money. By 5% up or down every 6 months with no more then 10% up in a year allowed. I believe this would stop them from want to take control and leave the citizens at the curb.

I call bs on this one; I have relatives and friends that officially are listed as below the poverty level. They have satellite TV, high speed internet, 4x4 pickups, etc. Most of them are on some kind of monthly dole thanks in large part to the tax money those greedy rich jerks at the top pay.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

America's "poverty" line pathetic. My aunt is an immigrant from Brazil. She was in shock at how badly everyone was complaining about the bad economy. To her our bad economy was a giant step up from what she had in Brazil. Americas are just soft and are always looking for a free handout. It is true that our government is corrupt and greedy, but if the Americans started acting like adult instead of children then we might be able to get something done.

Go RV! ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

America's "poverty" line pathetic. My aunt is an immigrant from Brazil. She was in shock at how badly everyone was complaining about the bad economy. To her our bad economy was a giant step up from what she had in Brazil. Americas are just soft and are always looking for a free handout. It is true that our government is corrupt and greedy, but if the Americans started acting like adult instead of children then we might be able to get something done.

Go RV! ;)

Agreed! Just another weak attempt by the left and their cronies in the media to paint America poorly. My fiance financialy is considered living in poverty and is eligble for countless of gov handouts. She of course does not accept or need the assistance of the gov to enslave her because she and her daughter live with me. Of course now that the gov has stated that anyone making more than 200k a year is considered part of the filthy rich they want to tax me more. If that were to happen I won't be getting married and MAY allow my fiance to start accepting all of those financial freebies. Fire with Fire

Edited by caz1104