Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

UN Security Council Meeting on IRAQ 10am Channel 4

Brisco

The Representative of Iraq just stated that there was a meeting planned for this month with Maliki and Kuwait but that it has been postponed due to the resignation of their Prime Minister. Did anyone else hear this? I assume he is speaking about next week's meeting.

OMG...Iraq is asking for the removal of Chapter 7 now and then meeting adjourned?! Are they now behind closed doors?

It is live, I'm still watching, the representative of Iraq is still speaking, but the first man who spoke gave a very positive report, let's see what else is said.

I don't know, steveflex7, what I heard him say was more of the same...no defense ministers, no finalization of Kuwait differences, and no HCL...

• Upvote 1

The Representative of Iraq just stated that there was a meeting planned for this month with Maliki and Kuwait but that it has been postponed due to the resignation of their Prime Minister. Did anyone else hear this? I assume he is speaking about next week's meeting.

OMG...Iraq is asking for the removal of Chapter 7 now and then meeting adjourned?! Are they now behind closed doors?

no I think they just took a break wait someone is back on. Wait it switched to a different channel. They are just showing flags.

Edited by Abarvets

Meeting adjourned, but nothing was decided except furture meetings. They keep kicking this thing down the road!!! Positive statements were made, but nothing concrete.

Sounds like the only outstanding issues may be relationship between Iraq and Kuwait. Certainly a lot of comments regarding how their relationship is developing.

Iraq Camp Ashraf may be a question also. They strongly want the Iranians in that camp to return to their native country. They feel like they can't trust them if released within Iraq. The US or UN may have different concerns about the treatment.

They want to become a totally sovereign country asap as you could hear from their emphasis of the list of accomplishments by the Iraqi.

• Upvote 1

Meeting adjourned, but nothing was decided except furture meetings. They keep kicking this thing down the road!!! Positive statements were made, but nothing concrete.

Why am I not surprised by this........

I thought this was brilliant. They have made plans for meetings with Kuwait, but due to the resignation of the Prime Minister the meeting was postponed. It sounded like indefinitely. Which it would be, the government is in a bit of disarray. They cannot pursue the Kuwait issues until Kuwait has gotten their government back on ground. Right? Iraq needs to be out from under Chapter 7 before/after US forces leave. They need out now. Essentially, without saying it, they are asking the UN to understand the situation and over look what was left to do with Kuwait because Iraq cannot pursue the completion with out a Kuwait government. They have made their effort.

• Upvote 6

What I got was that the UN stated all the postives and negatives of Iraq and the Iraqi Rep. just validated the positives and inadvertenly asked for release of CH.7.

I really didn't get anything good nor did I get bad. It was more of "here is where we are".

I don't know, steveflex7, what I heard him say was more of the same...no defense ministers, no finalization of Kuwait differences, and no HCL...

But you must realize, the biggest element keeping Iraq in ch. 7 is their relationship with Kuwait, and the UN representative clearly stated that many issues have been resolved, and they have dissolved many outstanding issues. I am sure minor issues still remain, but I don't believe its anything to keep them in ch. 7 any longer. Progress between Iraq and Kuwait has been made, and that is the key. This was just my take on it.

• Upvote 4

They did not kick anything down the road, IMHO. The council took comments and moved to private discussions, exactly what they stated they were doing.

Martin Kobler was very positive about Iraq's progress, and it sounded to me that there were loose ends, that if agreed upon, could be cleaned up in the future because the impact and magnitude are miniscule in the big picture.

The Iraqi representative was difficult for me to understand, but I did get that he was positive about the progress made. I will say, he was reading left to right, if you get my drift.

After listening to the broadcast IMO sorry same old we are moving forward since their committments in October to the UN. But not saying any plan. The only unscripted input from the last speaker was requesting millions from the US and support of surrounding countries to help get people not with citizenship out of the country. The meeting next week has been postponed due to Kuwait not having a PM for Iraq to meet with. No future meeting date at this time. A lot of words were read with no concrete anything. No real financial issues addressed at all. Talked about helping the Iraqi people with no plan for that. Just listed all the areas they need help. Wish there was something for all of us to hang on to from the report but really it was blah blah blah. Bummer. I had high hopes something of substance would be announced. go rv!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

They did not kick anything down the road, IMHO. The council took comments and moved to private discussions, exactly what they stated they were doing.

Martin Kobler was very positive about Iraq's progress, and it sounded to me that there were loose ends, that if agreed upon, could be cleaned up in the future because the impact and magnitude are miniscule in the big picture.

The Iraqi representative was difficult for me to understand, but I did get that he was positive about the progress made. I will say, he was reading left to right, if you get my drift.

I did catch that and I agree with you

I thought this was brilliant. They have made plans for meetings with Kuwait, but due to the resignation of the Prime Minister the meeting was postponed. It sounded like indefinitely. Which it would be, the government is in a bit of disarray. They cannot pursue the Kuwait issues until Kuwait has gotten their government back on ground. Right? Iraq needs to be out from under Chapter 7 before/after US forces leave. They need out now. Essentially, without saying it, they are asking the UN to understand the situation and over look what was left to do with Kuwait because Iraq cannot pursue the completion with out a Kuwait government. They have made their effort.

Great analogy. Another aspect of this regarding the toppling of Kuwait's government that is not clear to me, or possibly it is just too apparent, is the the government fell after a feather knocked them out. A few complained and ranted for what seemed a day or two, but there wasn't a huge revolt, demonstrations, nada. I don't know if it hit the news. Interesting timing.

After listening to the broadcast IMO sorry same old we are moving forward since their committments in October to the UN. But not saying any plan. The only unscripted input from the last speaker was requesting millions from the US and support of surrounding countries to help get people not with citizenship out of the country. The meeting next week has been postponed due to Kuwait not having a PM for Iraq to meet with. No future meeting date at this time. A lot of words were read with no concrete anything. No real financial issues addressed at all. Talked about helping the Iraqi people with no plan for that. Just listed all the areas they need help. Wish there was something for all of us to hang on to from the report but really it was blah blah blah. Bummer. I had high hopes something of substance would be announced. go rv!

The meeting is still on SOMETIME next week.

• Upvote 1

I listened to the whole report and although much progress is being made, there are still issues to resolve with security ministers and Kuwait. I am pretty sure I heard the UN rep say something to the effect that they were progressing to Iraq's "eventual" release from chapt. 7. I think I heard the Iraqi delegate make one reference to their sovereignty.

Okay folks, HCL, defense ministers should see some action between now and Thursday. Go into the meeeting on the 10th, baddaboom, she is done!

Great analogy. Another aspect of this regarding the toppling of Kuwait's government that is not clear to me, or possibly it is just too apparent, is the the government fell after a feather knocked them out. A few complained and ranted for what seemed a day or two, but there wasn't a huge revolt, demonstrations, nada. I don't know if it hit the news. Interesting timing.

You are right about that. Did not hear much, they kinds of moved to the left.

• Upvote 3

You need to turn that wine glass over, because in reality, it is half full, not half empty. JMO. B)

(matter of fact, I think it is just about ready to overflow...)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Listen Folks, this was a positive meeting! No bad things were said. Iraq wants out of Ch. 7, and the UN is stating that much progress has been made. Troop withdrawal in the next few weeks, HCL in front of parliment, security minister seated before troops leave. Can you not see how everything is falling into place perfectly. I'm excited. And if you listen closely to the Iraq representative speaking through his broken english, I think he mentions something about partying in Vegas with DV members when they are released from Ch.7 B)

• Upvote 8