Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Washington Post Article by Nouri al-Maliki Dec 4

jpbaz1960

By Nouri al-Maliki, Published: December 4

Baghdad

We stand at the threshold of a monumental juncture in the Iraqi-American relationship. A great many sacrifices by the Iraqi and the American people have enabled Iraq to discard the squalid regime of Saddam Hussein and establish a free and democratic society. As American troops depart in accordance with the Troops Withdrawal Agreement of 2008, we begin a new chapter based, as President Obama noted, on “mutual interests and mutual respect.” The decision to implement the agreement came after negotiations held with respect for each side’s sovereign and political decisions.

Solidifying a durable relationship between our two countries is vital. In the coming months, we must mutually focus on economic growth as well as culture, education and the sciences. Iraq has progressed to the stage of state building. We are building more than a million homes for low-income families, and I look forward to seeing construction cranes and high-rises dotting the Baghdad skyline. The struggle for reconstruction is no less daunting than the struggle for security. We are working to breach barriers that impede investment so this vision can become a reality. I am working diligently with our Investment Commission to ensure the rights of foreign investors and to create an environment conducive to investment.

While we have strived to put Iraq’s new democracy on the right path, challenges remain. The political process and relationships between the various political parties continue to develop. Fundamental disputes still surround the political composition of the Iraqi state. I believe these can be solved by combining and expanding the powers of the provinces while adhering to the unity of the state. Disputes concerning our constitution need to be solved through political means.

A solution to the debates surrounding hydrocarbon is paramount to Iraq’s economic growth. I have supported legislation, which has been sent to the Council of Representatives, that would regulate this vital industry and resources commensurate with national partnership and the equitable distribution of wealth. We held three rounds of bidding last year and are preparing for a fourth.

The stability of Iraq after the withdrawal of American forces has been a major concern of both our nations. I believe in the capabilities of our security forces and in the necessity of U.S. assistance.

There are still some who seek the destruction of our country. The Baath Party, which is prohibited by the constitution, believes in coups and conspiracies; indeed, these have been its modus operandi since the party’s inception. The Baathists seek to destroy Iraq’s democratic process. Hundreds of suspected Baathists recently were arrested; some of those detained have been released while others are awaiting trial. Those still in custody will receive due process and equitable treatment under Iraqi law. These detainees come from all over Iraq, and I refute characterizations that the detentions were a sectarian action based on political motives. These steps were taken to protect Iraq’s democracy.

Full article available at Washington Post - http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/building-a-stable-iraq/2011/12/04/gIQAhoxrTO_story.html

• Upvote 7

Wow. The cake is out of the oven and awaiting the icing. The flash bulbs should be popping soon, along with champagne corks. This is all following a well thought out script, and if anybody thinks that decisions regarding Chapter 7 and budgets are still playing out, pay attention. The players are in the Green Room getting their makeup done, the Fat Lady is gargling in her dressing room, and the marching bands are polishing their shoes. JMHO, of course.

• Upvote 9

Wow. The cake is out of the oven and awaiting the icing. The flash bulbs should be popping soon, along with champagne corks. This is all following a well thought out script, and if anybody thinks that decisions regarding Chapter 7 and budgets are still playing out, pay attention. The players are in the Green Room getting their makeup done, the Fat Lady is gargling in her dressing room, and the marching bands are polishing their shoes. JMHO, of course.

Carello, I like your confidence. Its refreshing!

And you Ms. C are dusting off the party hats, ahhhhh I do believe in RV's, I do, I do!

• Upvote 1

Carrello...you know thats excatly whats going on...well said as usual!

It's amazing how logical actions and events relating to the world situation seem once they happen, but even with all that is unfolding, I can't even begin to guess what the next step on the world stage will be. However, I will always feel extremely glad that I was able to observe all of this from the stance of being a dinar holder, and a DV VIP member, and an American citizen. This is such an exciting time in all of human history, and my prayer is that we Americans don't drop the ball now and let the next election slide through our fingers without taking our government back into citizen control. Don/t you sometimes wish we had a modern-day George Washington, a John Adams, a Patrick Henry, et al, some modern day heros who would step up and give us back our country again? I have read that a hero is seldom recognized in his own home, so perhaps we do have them, but just don't recognize them. If you knew a current hero, who would it be? And why?

• Upvote 1

+1 for creativity, I'm all about the creativity! wink.gif

LIGHTS...CAMERA...laugh.gifSOUND....SPEED...ROLLING...RV!

Edited by MovieMaker
  • Upvote 1

im guessing by mid december this will all be said and done also remember maliki is only pm for 2 years wasnt that the agreement with Allwai? now wouldn't you think Maliki would want to take credit for Rving for his people while he is in term still BTW his 2 years are almost up and he will be taking a back seat. So lets get on with it. Also maliki will be running for a 3rd term that was announced so we shall see soon enough.

Edited by easyrider
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You got to love this lady, she makes us laugh then set up and pay attention and some times all at the same time.

Edited by Stryker365

Thank you "Francie26" point well taken.

I have been Preaching and speaking for the last 40+ years that we the American people must put up Americans with no political affiliations except to be Democrats or Republicans in order to vote.

That strongly believe in our Founding Fathers belief of Citizen Politicans, spend no more than two(2) terms then return home and take of Family and your own business.

This would take us 6 to 8 years for a positive Congressional cleaning; don't know if the general population cares enough.

But, wow if we could GREED would take on a serious hurt and we would be the Greatest Nation on earth again!

Maybe, those of us that would new financial means should run with those ideals in heart and mind and/or support others that do? :rolleyes:

Thing that sticks out to me about this article is thst we have all seen comments from Maliki...and this isnt how he talks....Seems like a piece written and released thru the Washington Post with a purpose...what that is....is anyones guess...but I feel like its obviously telling the World Iraq is ready.

Gettin Closer Everyday!!!:)

• Upvote 1

im guessing by mid december this will all be said and done also remember maliki is only pm for 2 years wasnt that the agreement with Allwai? now wouldn't you think Maliki would want to take credit for Rving for his people while he is in term still BTW his 2 years are almost up and he will be taking a back seat. So lets get on with it. Also maliki will be running for a 3rd term that was announced so we shall see soon enough.

Agreed...but not sure who really deserves the credit....i.e. Maliki, Obama or Okie???? :blink::unsure::o (wish Adam had "Emoticons" options of the three stooges)

Edited by GotSix
  • Upvote 1

Thing that sticks out to me about this article is thst we have all seen comments from Maliki...and this isnt how he talks....Seems like a piece written and released thru the Washington Post with a purpose...what that is....is anyones guess...but I feel like its obviously telling the World Iraq is ready.

Gettin Closer Everyday!!!:)

You can be assured that the State Department wrote this article. The next two weeks, IMHO, have been scripted for a while. The script has been to the Big Boys, back to the writers, back to the BB..with the Administration, State Department, UN, IMF and WB all involved.Today's article was act one, and act two starts tomorrow at the UN. Act three is Maliki entering stage right at the White House next weekl and on and on until the final curtain - the RV - which will get a standing ovation for sure. The Lopsters will be in the nose bleed section, but we will turn and wave to be polite.

Any event of this magnitude, the end of a war, so many lives lost and bodies torn, bringing democracy to the ME, would have a script for the final chapters. We would be foolish not to. What we and Iraq have accomplished, lost, and sacrificed need to be recognized in the world forum, and acknowledge a new jumping off point to move forward. This is big stuff.

Most of us are focused on the RV, but history is being made. Script it all they want to, as long as it is the truth, because I want us to look competent, connected, and responsible.

The script will be documenting the steps to Iraq's coming out party and a financial reform that will re-shape so many things all over the world. This is a pageant. Celebrate it. Wear a party hat!

• Upvote 2