Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Are you a "Travelling Man"? If so say hi...

Caye98

I thought I might inquire as to how many of our readers are members of the oldest and largest fraternity of men in the world? If you are a member of the Craft (or have a relative that is or was) or perhaps you are a Shepard, Night, Noble or in Star. Welcome and just say hi or share a story if you like.

Now for the Masonic secret(s)...We are not allowed to recruit members! That's right, we don't discuss matters of Lodge, but we have historically made huge contributions quietly behind the scenes..."Freedom of Religion" (who do you think came up with that?)...

Our motto "To make good men better".

If you care to know more, we have another cryptic saying "2 B 1 ASK 1".

For those who have bad things to say about, or fear us, you are welcome as well, as you probably reside in a country that was founded on Masonic principles of tolerance.

"Faith, Hope, and Charity, and the greatest of these is Charity".

Season's Greetings to all, and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate the birth of Christ (even if the time of year does seem a bit off)

One more Masonic secret (to educate the fearful and ignorant) a man MUST believe in a Supreme being to become a member of the Masonic Order (and that belief is not asked to be defined, as we believe it is sacred and personal). I know from personal interactions that I have Christian, Catholic, Jewish, Morman, and Moslem Brothers. I can certainly imagine other faiths are represented in other Lodges. We all get along. Yes, we have differing opinions on many issues, and we are not of "one mind", but we do share one common goal "To make good men better".

Hi to all members of the Craft and Nobles out there!

• Upvote 3

Out of Curiosity, for I am not a Mason myself and have never had the opportunity to speak to one. What do you personally think of Manly P. Hall and Albert Pike who are considered two of the greatest Philosophers of the Masonic Craft. I would like to hear your thoughts on these two gentlemen if possible.

• Upvote 1

Nice positive post! Thanks to all. smile.gif

I have been fortunate to travel to most states, as well as several countries, and it is always a pleasure (and relief) to be greeted by a brother out of the "Blue" who recognizes a ring on my finger and offers his hand in friendship and brotherly love.

It is particularly comforting when visiting a far away place, when you are new in town, or are unsure of where to stay, eat, visit (or stay away from). I have met brethren as cab drivers, sky caps, pilots, police men, government officials and fellow travelers. Whether on an airport shuttle, airplane, train, bus restaurant, hotel, lounge or beach, I can not put a value on the courtesies and kindnesses that have been afforded me and my travelling companions when I have had the pleasure to be met by a worthy Brother.

I could tell endless stories of being met by a stranger, and with a simple handshake that caused us to look at each other with a knowing smile, and from that moment my Brother guided me through situations with a trust and respect that has been earned and passed down through hundreds of years of trust and service. (There are also untold numbers of hours of friendship, meals, transportation, and lodging that have also been provided to me by brothers, and I am proud to be able to provide the same when given the opportunity).

I have experienced situations when I believe there has no doubt been allowances granted me by officials because of our recognized connection, or that my word has been enough to trust that my intentions were "on the level" and/or that even if they were not of the Craft, they recognized my affiliation and directed me to someone else who was (that they respected), and they have often been of assistance to me (when needed).

I am also VERY proud of the work the Shrine hospitals provide for children (and their families) without cost, regardless of any Masonic affiliation in their own family. Please, if you know of a child with medical needs, put their family in touch with your local Masonic Lodge or Shrine Temple. We do much more than just wear funny little hats and show up in parades!

• Upvote 3

Why are women not allowed to join?

That is a question that has been asked for many years. The short answer... because you can't! (not subject to change) the long answer.... if you "google" that question you might get enough information to satisfy that question. not being rude ..... its just the way it is. As a side note ... should you desire to affiliate with Masons ... Seek out a Eastern Star. Peace Jazz

• Upvote 2

Why are women not allowed to join?

Masons are symbolic representatives and descendants ofthe Knights Templars who kept the road from Europe to the Holy Lands open.There were no women in the original order, and so it remains through most ofthe world. One charge to become a member was : “The persons admitted members of aLodge must be good and true men, free born and of mature and discreet age, nobondsmen, no women, no immoral or scandalous men, but of goodreport.”. There have been very few changes and modifications to the values, charges, and responsibilities. It has only been in the past 10 or so years that a person with a disability could become a member (if they became disabled after having become a member was a different story). Masons had Masonic homes for their members, widows and orphans centuries before Social Security.

There are also some rituals which would need to bemodified significantly to allow participation by women. There is however a verystrong component for members to look out for Widows and Orphans.

There are some lodges in foreign countries that allowwomen to join. In the US the "Eastern Star" is the organizationdeveloped for women (and men) to become members.

Some may view Masonry and the Ancient Arabic Order of theNobles of the Mystic Shrine (Shriners) as a good old boys network, and in someways it is. However, it does hold women (actually referred to as Ladies) invery high regard. We do typically hold older world values oc chivalry andresponsibility for our own actions as well as looking after those lessfortunate. Hence our belief in "Faith, Hope, and Charity, and the GREATESTof these is Charity".

ALL Masonic bodies fund charities and are service oriented.

Contrary to commonly held belief, almost all of Masonry is available to be researched and discussed openly, save less than 1% of the information.

• Upvote 1

Out of Curiosity, for I am not a Mason myself and have never had the opportunity to speak to one. What do you personally think of Manly P. Hall and Albert Pike who are considered two of the greatest Philosophers of the Masonic Craft. I would like to hear your thoughts on these two gentlemen if possible.

I have a rather extensive Masonic library, and as you cite, Hall and Pike are well represented. Both professed views and opinions, but not necessarily representative of all Masons. I find that "Free Thinking" encouraged in Masonry to be a very strong point.

Let's not forget Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington we all very active Masons.

There are certainly those who when you refer to a "New World Order" will tell, you that it already exists, and has for over 200 years. It is called The United States of America." It was the first experiment whereby men (people) could have self-rule (All men are created equal), free from a King, monarchy, ruler, or religious order.

• Upvote 2

Gabriel, good question. One that requires more time and space than can possibly be put here. These two indiivduals are very controversial to many. Albert Pike in the south in particular. I have read only parts of one of his greatest masonic works "morals and dogma".

Edited by blaineage
  • Upvote 1

I was taught to be cautious and made Senior Warden in 519.

Great organization ....one which does not deserve some of the bashing from those who really don't know.

Go well, brethren. Why no ladies?? Well..why are men not allowed in women- only gyms?? Same difference.

I LOVE the working tool descriptions ( charges) given by the junior warden....they are some of the most beautiful words ever written....IMHO.

Double peace.

• Upvote 1