Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Tiffany ... Ahead Of The Curve? ... Or Just Leading?

smee2

Recently we had some relatively lively back and forth comments about things Tiff posted.

A lot of people think she is "showing off" her intelligence, to which I say, if you got it then flaunt it. And many people think she picks topics that are not suitable even for a general information fourm discussion.

But today I happened to be reading the news site I read most, a Canadian site of course, and guess what I found. Right up there with all the daily big news I find this headline about athiesm, and in the text is comment about athiests and gays, both being untrustworthy (a stupid and incorrect judgement in my sight but that is not why we are here, is it?) So, I thought it would be fun to post it and see who else mignt like to weigh in.

Atheists roughly as distrusted as rapists, UBC study finds

By: ctvbc.ca

Date: Thursday Dec. 1, 2011 10:35 AM PT

Atheists are distrusted to roughly the same degree as rapists, according to a new University of British Columbia study exploring distaste for disbelievers.

The research, led by UBC psychology doctoral student Will Gervais, found distrust to be the central factor motivating antagonism toward atheists among the religious.

"Where there are religious majorities – that is, in most of the world – atheists are among the least trusted people," Gervais said in a release.

"With more than half a billion atheists worldwide, this prejudice has the potential to affect a substantial number of people."

Researchers believe the negative perception of atheists may stem from some people's understanding of morality; a 2002 Pew poll suggests nearly half of Americans believe morality is impossible without belief in god.

For one part of Gervais' six-part study, researchers compared views of atheists, homosexual men and the general population, noting that the first two groups are "often described as threatening to majority religious values and morality."

Both are explicitly denied membership to the Boy Scouts of America, the study adds.

A sample of 351 Americans between the ages of 18 and 82 were quizzed on their feelings for each group. Sixty-seven per cent or subjects were Christian while 14 per cent said they did not believe in god.

The results suggested anti-atheist prejudice was characterized by distrust, while anti-*** prejudice was characterized by disgust.

For another part of the study, 105 UBC students between the ages of 18 and 25 were presented with a description of an untrustworthy person – an "archetypal freerider" who committed selfish and illegal acts when he thought he could get away with it.

Subjects were more likely to find the description representative of atheists than Christians, Muslims, *** men, feminists or Jewish people. Only rapists were similarly distrusted.

"People did not significantly differentiate atheists from rapists," the study said.

Researchers hope the study, considered among the first to probe the psychology behind anti-atheist sentiments, will offer clues on how to combat the prejudice.

Study co-author Ara Norenzayan, a UBC associate professor, said it was motivated in part by a 2007 Gallup poll that found only 45 per cent of Americans would vote for a qualified atheist as president.

Atheists often see their disbelief as a private matter, but others may consider it "a public threat to cooperation and honesty," Norenzayan said in a release.

The UBC study, titled "Do You Believe in Atheists? Distrust is Central to Anti-Atheist Prejudice," appears in the current online issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

Comments have been disabled

Editor's Note: Comments have been closed on this story because an overwhelming number of readers were making offensive statements about other commenters and/or the individual or individuals mentioned in the story. That kind of behaviour is a breach of our commenting policy, and so the comment function has been turned off. We appreciate your understanding

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20111201/bc_atheist_research_ubc_rapists_111201/20111201?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Anyone who claims to be athiest, argues about it or anything else is not a true athiest = because at the philosophy / heart of athieism nothing really matters. :P:angry::blink:

Back in the days of studying comarative religions in university, Athiest was considered to be a lack of belief in God, any god, in any way, most especially represented by the concept of divine creation. But it didn't mean " nothing really matters" ... everything matters just not as a result of a religious concept.

I should not have looked and replied. I do NOT want to be dragged into the debate to that's it. the only one. Up to you guys now.

:)

smee2

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Come on now Smee...Tiffany does flaunt her smarts and she knows it, even takes pride in being highly intelligent, as she should be. I appreciate all the debates she starts, it has brought out some of the truly knowledgable in my faith and I have learned from them some things I couldn't learn in church or come to understand on my own. Thanks to all of you, we've all been thrown together for some reason, let's enjoy it!

• Upvote 2

Smee...you had to do it, didn't you GF???...like a moth to the flame, I can't resist this type of posting. :P

If we could take off the mits for a bit and talk man to man...well you know what I mean. I think it boils down to one word: Change. People for the most part, unless they are under sever oppression, hate change. So Atheist, G A Y S, Minorities that are striving for equal rights, all represent possible change. All the things I fight for…but pls don’t hate me because I’m a rebel!

Nelg in another post asked a question on what kind of Religion would I want the next Prez to be. I could give the PC answer, of I don't care, as I want to know how he (or she) would do on the different issues, what is his/her platform. But, of course, I'd like that person to be respectful of all religions and all beliefs, including the right to not believe.

Furthermore being a practical girl...yes, I know it is hard for some of you to believe that, I don't think I'd want that person to be an Atheist. Yes, you can fall off your chair. :blink:

The reason is as plain as the nose on my face, because that one facet of his/her ideology would cause such a fanfare that nothing would get done. There would be so much finger pointing and name calling, that it would make Obama look like Jimmy Carter.

At the time of this posting, Smee got a -1, just for broaching the subject. I rest my case.

• Upvote 3

Smee2 !!!! Don't you even think of running away!! :lol: You are a bit like me..... Once something angers you enough or you feel strongly about something, you just can't help yourself you just have to say something. :).

Well I need to thank you for bringing this interesting piece of research. You kinda stole my thunder when you said that atheists basically do not believe in god. It certainly does not mean that nothing matters to them. Tiffany is very much a young , well educated woman who is "perhaps" too open minded for some people on this site. She raises subjects which make them uncomfortable. She is completely open in regards to her own sexuality and is very much in touch with more important issues in the world than religion. :D.

Many people do not like this because it "flies in the face" of their beliefs and I would agree with the research findings that much of this comes from christians. I actually think the other thread about same sex relationship rather proved this as many of the post were from individuals who claimed to be christians but have shown little or no tolerance for their fellow human being. :( .

Now whether this is due to their minds being closed to anything out with their bible I don't really know and I am not particularly interested. I do how ever believe that much of it is driven by fear. This fear is driven by a lack of knowledge, understanding, and a lack of a willingness to learn or at least give people a chance. Oh I am sure they will give people a chance if they belong to their church , subscribe to their christian beliefs but don't expect. Some of them to be tolerant of people out with that circle. Some of the most disgusting horrid and intolerant people I have ever had to deal with are people who claim to be christians. They ignore the mentally ill, the *** community, the "misfits" of society, and the "others", people who chose to worship in an alternative house of god. There is something quite "chilling" to meet these people, especially when they have no idea what I do for a living and they lower their voice whilst they say " oh ignore her / him , their not quite right you know" or "oh that will be ............ Coming back from that chapel , you would think it would fall down without her" or " quick let's get across the road here comes the.......... Family and you never know what you might get........ No very clean you know"

Howe ver, having said that I have also met and know many very good , kind, tolerant and understanding christians. Both my grand mothers were amongst them. It was these two increadable women who showed me that I don't need to attend church regularly for god to hear me. I do not need to pray everyday because when I do he will hear me. And most importantly, that regardless of who your 7"god" is he will make room for you in his heaven because those gates are always open. But I do NOT need religious input every time I come on this site and read a thread! My beliefs are my own and not for full open forum discussion and everyone else's should be the same as far as I am concerned.

Tiffany challenges peoples belief systems and that is normally a good thing. It is a shame many people do not appear to appreciate this and cannot put aside their thoughts about her sexuality without trying to impose their beliefs upon her and others.

• Upvote 1

Smee...you had to do it, didn't you GF???...like a moth to the flame, I can't resist this type of posting. tongue.gif

If we could take off the mits for a bit and talk man to man...well you know what I mean. I think it boils down to one word: Change. People for the most part, unless they are under sever oppression, hate change. So Atheist, G A Y S, Minorities that are striving for equal rights, all represent possible change. All the things I fight for…but pls don’t hate me because I’m a rebel!

Nelg in another post asked a question on what kind of Religion would I want the next Prez to be. I could give the PC answer, of I don't care, as I want to know how he (or she) would do on the different issues, what is his/her platform. But, of course, I'd like that person to be respectful of all religions and all beliefs, including the right to not believe.

Furthermore being a practical girl...yes, I know it is hard for some of you to believe that, I don't think I'd want that person to be an Atheist. Yes, you can fall off your chair. blink.gif

The reason is as plain as the nose on my face, because that one facet of his/her ideology would cause such a fanfare that nothing would get done. There would be so much finger pointing and name calling, that it would make Obama look like Jimmy Carter.

At the time of this posting, Smee got a -1, just for broaching the subject. I rest my case.

Tiffany if I remember correctly president Bush was bashed a good bit. I remember seeing the late nite shows hammering on him. We don't seem to be the melting pot anymore, it's more like small pots all over. Sure would like to get back to one nation undivided, with liberty and justice for all. But just so you understand, I'm not holier than thou, I've contributed my fair share for being critical of presidents I didn't care for.

Smee2, finding that on a news site doesn't surprise me. Who owns the site and what is there agenda. I haven't seen any site that doesn't have an agenda. Look at the people doing the news, celebrity? what's that all about. Just report the news and they don't seem to do that anymore.

I as a christian believe the word of God, and the word says that where the spirit of the Lord is there is liberty. I look at the bondage our government has us in (debt) and I'm not seeing the liberty like we once had. This is just my observation/opinion. Tiff has posted her concerns about kicking the can down the road to the next generation and she's right. I wonder what my grandsons will have to put up with, will they be slave to uncle sam? Time will tell.

• Upvote 2

I think it is because people equate atheism with lawlessness. That if you are an atheist then you don't have a conscious nor do you care about right and wrong. That is why they put it in the same range as a rapist.

Not me....I understand that atheism is about not *believing* in a higher power....although I think that is simplifying it. But people think if an atheist moves in next door that crime will increase. :blink:

Plain and simple....people are afraid of something they don't understand and the way they deal with that fear is to attack that which they fear.

• Upvote 2

This thread should be closed. We all have our own opinions. Please, lets move on people.

Tiffany, I do believe that you are here to simply stir the pot as you have in the past. Find another outlet for your frustrations. Dinarvets should not be one of them.

Thanks,

Ski

Edited by skitealwedrop
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Smee2,

The biggest thing I saw in the article/survey was that it was such an insignificant number of people surveyed that you might as well have walked into any given restaurant and asked who will be the next president of the US. Yes, they shared views in response to a specific question, but there are not enough responses to give an opinion of any merit. IMHO