Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

What Social Ramifications does non-belief have on society?

Tiffany23

Intelligent and well said...I think everyone should be able worship/believe in whatever gives them comfort and peace, so long as it DOES NOT infringe upon others freedoms and beliefs, NO MATTER WHAT they choose to believe in, be it Atheism, or Christianity. We as human beings and especially as Americans, have FAR MORE in common than just ideology, and should focus on the positive aspects that bind us, to not only to strengthen, but advance our society as well.

I could not agree more with you! This idea that there is only one way, one belief, one God is riduculous and arrogant at best. You don't have to be a christian to be a good person and treat others with kindness and respect. Conversely, just because you are a Christian, doesn't mean that you are a good person. I have known many people who profess to be Christians who are horrible human beings. The difference between an athiast and a christian is that an athiast can't be a horrible person Monday-Saturday and ask for forgivenss on Sunday so it stands to reason that the athiest would strive to be a better person just because they don't have the "out". I believe that people should keep their religious beliefs to themselves and not pass judgement on those who believe differently and try to cram their beliefs down other people's throats. By the way I thought there was a chat room just for Christians so that they could talk amongst themselves.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This idea that there is only one way, one belief, one God is riduculous and arrogant at best.

There is nothing arrogant about that.

The idea of only one way comes from the Holy Bible, which specifically states there is only one God, and there is only one way. For a Christian to say otherwise would be a lie. Would you rather have someone lie to you or tell you the truth as they believe it? Jesus is the Truth.

Deuteronomy 32:37-43 (NLT)

37 Then he will ask, ‘Where are their gods,

the rocks they fled to for refuge?

38 Where now are those gods,

who ate the fat of their sacrifices

and drank the wine of their offerings?

Let those gods arise and help you!

Let them provide you with shelter!

39 Look now; I myself am he!

There is no other god but me!

I am the one who kills and gives life;

I am the one who wounds and heals;

no one can be rescued from my powerful hand!

40 Now I raise my hand to heaven

and declare, “As surely as I live,

41 when I sharpen my flashing sword

and begin to carry out justice,

I will take revenge on my enemies

and repay those who reject me.

42 I will make my arrows drunk with blood,

and my sword will devour flesh—

the blood of the slaughtered and the captives,

and the heads of the enemy leaders.”’

43 “Rejoice with him, you heavens,

and let all of God’s angels worship him.

Rejoice with his people, you nations,

and let all the angels be strengthened in him.

For he will avenge the blood of his servants;

he will take revenge against his enemies.

He will repay those who hate him

and cleanse the land for his people.”

John 14:5-7 (NLT)

5 “No, we don’t know, Lord,” Thomas said. “We have no idea where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

6 Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. 7 If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is. From now on, you do know him and have seen him!”

You don't have to be a christian to be a good person and treat others with kindness and respect. Conversely, just because you are a Christian, doesn't mean that you are a good person. I have known many people who profess to be Christians who are horrible human beings. The difference between an athiast and a christian is that an athiast can't be a horrible person Monday-Saturday and ask for forgivenss on Sunday so it stands to reason that the athiest would strive to be a better person just because they don't have the "out".

Psalm 14:1 (NLT)

1 Only fools say in their hearts,

“There is no God.”

They are corrupt, and their actions are evil;

not one of them does good!

I believe that people should keep their religious beliefs to themselves and not pass judgement on those who believe differently and try to cram their beliefs down other people's throats. By the way I thought there was a chat room just for Christians so that they could talk amongst themselves.

My faith tells me to witness to the lost and to spread the Good News. We don’t go around purposefully trying to make people mad at us. Do you think it is easy to tell someone they are going to hell? Do you know how hard that is? You need to take another look at whoever tries to witness to you, because it is not an easy thing to do. Whoever it is must really care about you to take that risk of losing your friendship or suffering your wrath of rejection because you don’t want to hear the Truth.

-

I have a question for everyone who quotes Biblical Scripture:

How do you feel when someone quotes the Koran as a backup for what is true?

Why do you think that those vehemently opposed to Christianity would be any different? Do you think they even read that part of the posts?

Just sayin' :huh:

• Upvote 1

I have a question for everyone who quotes Biblical Scripture:

How do you feel when someone quotes the Koran as a backup for what is true?

Why do you think that those vehemently opposed to Christianity would be any different? Do you think they even read that part of the posts?

Just sayin' :huh:

Excellent point. Why rattle off quotes that don't pertain to the discussion.

Each "religion" I'm sure has quotes that taken out of context could support what the poster wants to say. For instance, here are examples of not so nice things that go on in the Bible that one could take out of context:

GENESIS

17:9-14 Circumcision mandated

19:1-8 Rape virgins instead of male angels

19:30-38 Righteous man impregnates his 2 daughters while drunk

24:2-3, 9 Place your hand "under the thigh" (sexual organs) of someone swearing sacred oaths

25:1-6 Keeping mistresses is not adultery

32:25 God grabs Jacob's testicles

34:1-31 Brothers are riled when sister is defiled

35:2 Reuben sleeps with father's concubine

38:1-10 Onan's method of birth control not approved

38:12-30 Tamar plays the harlot to seduce father-in-law

39:1-20 Women tries to rape man

47:29 Joseph ordered to place his hand under father's thigh

EXODUS

20:26 God specifies building of altar to prevent exposure of nakedness

22:19 Death decreed for bestiality

33:17-23 God moons Moses

NUMBERS

31:1-18; 28-47 God commands genocide of Midianites, Moses orders that virgins be kept, other captives slain

5:11-31 God's fidelity test for women only

LEVITICUS

12:1-8 Bible calls childbirth a sin and bearing females a greater sin than bearing males

15:16-18 Sperm and intercourse are unclean

15:19-33 Menstruation unclean; elaborate rules

15:29-30 Women must make sin offering for menstrual periods

18:22 Homosexuality declared an abomination

18:23 More bestiality

19:1,20-22 Man gets forgiven, slave girl gets flogging

20:10 Adulterers shall be put to death

20:13 Death decreed for homosexuals

20:15-16 Death decreed for bestiality (& beast)

26:29 Curse: Eat your sons and daughters

DEUTERONOMY

3:1-7 Kill men, women, & children

21:10-14 God okays captured maidens as trial wives

22:5 Men's clothing not to be worn by women, & vice versa

22:13-21 A bride not a virgin must die

22:23-26 Virgin raped in city given no pity

23:12-14 Defecation: Carry paddle, dig hole, & cover up

25:5-10 Woman has cause to spit in man's face

25:11-12 A woman shall have her hand cut off for touching a penis

22:28-29 Paying father to have sex with daughter

23:1 Man "wounded in the stones" can't enter congregation

23:2 Children born out of wedlock condemned as bastards to 10th generation

23:10-11 Cleanliness called for in nocturnal emissions

24:1 Man can divorce wife through eviction

28:27 Hemorrhoids ("emerods") punishment for sin

28:30 Lord's curse: Another man shall lie with groom's bride first

28:53-57 Curse: Eat your own body & children

JUDGES

3:20-22 Dagger in fat king's gut gets "dirt" out

4:4-22 Hammer & nail murder by woman

8:30 Gideon had many wives, concubines

11:29-40 Jephtha's daughter: human sacrifice

19:1-30 Woman raped and ruined by homosexuals

21:6-25 Amidst carnage virgins captured for wives

RUTH

3:6-9 To "hook" him as husband, Ruth sleeps with Boaz

4:9-10 Boaz buys Ruth

I SAMUEL

5:9-12 Philistines "smitten with emerods" as punishment for stealing ark

6:1-5 To placate God, make golden emerods

15:3 God orders Saul to kill suckling babes

18:23-27 200 foreskins gain David a king's daughter

25:22,34 Any that pisseth against the wall

II SAMUEL

3:7 More concubine hanky-panky

11:1-27 Uriah sent to lose his life so David can get his wife

12:7-12 Obscene performance to be viewed by all Israel

5:13 David had many wives, concubines

Chapter 13 Amnon rapes his sister

16:20-23 Absalom copulates with father's concubines on rooftop

20:3 David imprisons concubines for above

I KINGS

1:1-4 Virgin as therapy for sick old man unsuccessful

11:1-10 Wise Solomon has wives and concubines galore

14:10 Him that pisseth against the wall

16:11 One that pisseth against a wall

21:21 Him that pisseth against the wall

II KINGS

6:24-33 "So we boiled my son, and did eat him"

9:8 Subject not mentioned in sermons

23:7 Male houses of prostitution destroyed

I CHRONICLES

1:32-33 Abraham's concubines have children

II CHRONICLES

11:21 King Rehoboam had 18 wives & 60 concubines

ESTHER

Chapters 1-2 Sexual contest to decide new queen

SONG OF SOLOMON (the whole thing!)

ISAIAH

3:16 "...and the Lord will discover their secret parts"

9:20 Every man shall eat the flesh of his own arm

14:21-22 Slaughter children for fathers' iniquity

16:11 Biblical boast: "My bowels shall sound like an harp"

36:12 Eating dung and drinking piss

JEREMIAH

16:4 Grievous, obscene deaths

LAMENTATIONS

2:19 Something to lament

4:10 Women boil children for food

EZEKIEL

4:12-15 God says: Eat bread defiled with dung

5:8-10 What's for dinner?

8:2 Lord's loins make guest appearance

16:15 Fornications pour out

16:36-37 Their "filthiness poured out..."

23:1-40 Sex organs and ejaculate of harlots' lovers compared to asses & horses

29:7-8 God performs bloody castration via a sword

HOSEA

1:2-11 God tells Hosea to take ***** to wife

2:1-15 Complications ensue (lewdly described)

NAHUM

3:4-6 Lord: "I will discover thy skirts upon thy face"

MALACHI

2:1-4 An angry god will spread feces on your faces

MATTHEW

5:27-30 A man may lust but it's not considered just

5:31-32 Man can divorce wife for fornication only

19:3-9 Man who divorces and remarries is adulterer

19:12 Castrate yourself for Jesus

22:24 Law of Onan (you have to marry your dead brother's wife)

LUKE

2:21 Eight day old Jesus is circumcised

ACTS

5:38 Eunuch baptized

15:24 Circumcision is not commandment

16:3 Paul circumcises adult

ROMANS

1:26-32 *** men and lesbians "worthy of death"

I CORINTHIANS

6:18-20 Abstain from sex

7:1-40 To be more holy, refrain from sex wholly

7:18-19 If you're not circumcised, stay that way

GALATIANS

5:1-4 Paul speaks against circumcision

REVELATION

17:1-6 A ***** is stripped, eaten and burned

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Bill,

I won't presume to answer for oneguy...but I can share my thoughts. What you are addressing is basically Pascal's wager . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager

As a skeptic, I'll be honest, that line of rational kept me "humble" for a good many years. But, here are some thought on a counter argument:

1. PW does not address which God is the one and only true God. As mentioned in several of my postings, how can a Christian be so sure that he has the right God? The Hindu Gods are almost as prevalent (over 1 Billion believers). Jesus may be right for you, but is not right for others.

2. Your posting seems to indicate that non-believers can not live an equally good life. I think this postings and other's by Tiff show that non belief has little to do with how "well or honest" one lives. That is, non believers can live just as good of a life as believers.

3. This is my big one...I am more interested in finding out the Truth, regardless of what that Truth is. If there is a GOD, I want to know, if there is NOT a God, I want to know that as well. Can Christians honestly say the same, that is, does the Truth transcend your Faith? Are you open to hearing the evidence that support another religion and/or that no God exists. Or is your mind closed?

I'm leaning to the facts that support that one's beliefs are more of a product of one's surroundings. That is, how many Christians in America change over to Hinduism? How many Buddhist in China change over to Islam? Rarely.....I believe Tiffany quoted only 4% of people ever change Religion from what their society is.

Which leads to why you may feel that Christians are "picked on" by Atheist. I think that may be the case because Americans are predominately Christians, so the message is out to the biggest audience. Just my twocents.

First of all, let me say thank-you for your calm response to my post. :)

I spent most of my life as an agnostic, not really knowing what to believe. I tried many different churches (Christian) You say that Americans are predominately Christians, I don't know that I agree. What does it mean to be Christian? "Christ like" I think alot of people claim to be Christian but do not live according to how Christ taught in the Bible to live. I don't claim to be even near to perfect, but I am trying my best to be what the Bible teaches is Christ like. I am not a Bible Scholar nor an acedemic with diverse knowledge of religions around the world. I can only speak to my personal experience. I know that when I knelt down to pray and I felt conviction in my heart for past wrongs that I have done, I asked God for forgiveness and I truly repented with a sorrow in my heart. I wasn't just speaking words someone told me to say, I was speaking from my heart with tears running down my face. That was faith in a God that I could not see, believing that he would forgive me for sins that I believe He and I both knew about. I asked his forgiveness and asked he apply his blood upon me to cleanse me of my sins. When I got up from the alter, I felt clean. When I pray to him, He always hears my prayers. I may not feel his presence, but I have faith that he hears me. Things have happened in my life that prove he is in control and helping me.

Before I actually read the Bible, I had alot of ideas about God and what being a Christian meant. Now having read the Bible, I have a better understanding of Biblical Truth. If you don't believe in God, then the Bible is just another book.

I don't know of any religion in the world other than Christianity, where we as mankind can obtain "Salvation" only through God as his gift to us because of our obediance to him. All other religions that I am aware of allow man to "work out his own Salvation".

I believe a true Christian Believer will take the Bible in it's entirety and live according to the teachings of the Apostles and Jesus himself. I believe in the Literal Translation of the Bible and not the Allegorical (symbolic) interpretation of the Bible. There are obvious places in the Bible where symbology is used like in Daniel and Revelation, but the rest of the Bible should be literally interpreted. I don't believe in the trinity, this idea came about almost three hundered years after the Apostles lived. God himself was manifest in the flesh. The different Christian religions have watered down the doctrine taught by the Apostles as it was handed down through the centuries just as the Apostle Paul warned.

I am Apostolic in doctrine and Pentecostal by experience in case you were wondering about my beliefs.

:)

• Upvote 2

The baby was created by to mammals, human beings, having sexual intercourse, no? The breeze was a breeze. Seabreeze? Baybreeze? Front coming through? I dig your faith. Nothing wrong with it. But in todays world, there are explanations for most everything except for proof of jesus ever walking the earth, and an invisible man in the sky. And what pisses me off the most, is that many christian/catholics STRONGLY believe that if you don't believe in jesus/god, etc; you're gonna be damned to hell. BS!!!! Those crazy, violent buddhists better convert if they only knew what's waiting for them at death. Not one shred of evidence that this magical man ever walked the earth. I don't mean to direct this all at you, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents. I'm gonna post this link. Have a look if you like. I'm sure I'll be negged off of this site in no time just cause most folks don't respect another angle unless it agrees with theirs. That is the most ignorant that one can be. The my way or the highway personality. Again, not putting you down, just wanted to argue my case. Cheers. My link

All valid points, very much appreciate the response, I have no problem at all with those who believe differently than I, Sometimes I do try to offer my thoughts on thing's only for those who may want to hear a different perspective, I certainly am not the damn you to hell type, I will agree I cannot stand those who push and push bible verses, and the you need to pray, pray, pray, I find my own peace when I sit outdoors all alone, then I feel the closest to god, I can respect your views, we are all entitled to that, Thanks again for your prospective, take care and best wishes................

• Upvote 1

I know a few people that claim to be atheists. I don't really think they are; I believe that they simply don't believe in organized religion, aka the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Religion is filled with law...and maybe a little grace. There's a mixture. I was in that mess for nearly 40 years of my life...until I asked Father to flush it all away and show me my true purpose and identity...WOW! I'm a daughter whom He loves deeply! He sings over me with joy! (Zech 3:17) Anyway, you can't know God theologically...you can only know Him experientually. The word "repent" means to change your mind. Until one's mind believes that he or she is a son or daughter of God and is "one" in Him, he is lost and undone...hopeless. God's not in a hurry about anything...so peace and grace to our friends who claim to be atheists. They just haven't yet had their divine encounter.Love 'em anyway! ;)

Bill....cant' take exception to anything you say. In any religion I'm aware of, there are those who say they are such and such and then there are those who actually walk the talk. It appears you are in the later category. Peace be to you.

Thank-you sir! It is truly a pleasure to have a discourse with you, I pray that the Truth you seek be found by you. +1 for you and your respectful dialogue!

Edited by billbill